Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Never heard of foam-cored plywood. Where did you get it?

Looks like it's a marine product.

I made it myself to get s solid flat floor above the removable seat mounts in my 1999 Ford E-350. The bottom layer is 1/8" plywood paneling, then 1" foam sheet insulation and topped with 1/4" plywood. The ends are solid 2x4 wood with rabbets cut on edge to accept the plywood panels. This forms a solid light weight panel much like the floor in our Interstates. See image below.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1424133381.122436.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  43.4 KB

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sounds like your method would be less expensive than the marine variety.

Did you consider adding something like 1X4s on the sides to protect the mouse fur?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Hello,

I see that you added an invisible bra to your Sprinter. Now that you have had it for awhile, do you believe that it does protect and would you make any recommendations on a brand or type?

Regards,
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
As always thanks for your help.

FYI
So far this is what we've had done to our Interstate:
We've added a 12" subwoofer that was mounted in a custom made cabinet that fits under the side seat next to the stove and a power amp that was placed under the front passenger seat. Also upgraded all speakers except the center dashboard speaker. Also had a invisible bra kit put on to help out with the small rock chips.
Lastly, had a new chrome grille and chrome hood cowls installed.

Thanks again,

Laura

PS: I also inquired about the VB Air Suspension at Advanced RV. I asked about the product & installs. They told me they may have to rewire or move some plumbing depending on what's needed. They Quoted me $6,900 if no extra routing of wires or plumbing are required. Ouch! That seems a bit much but then again I don't know what all is entailed.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I like em with one exception drying the floor after a shower the AS is the best if I was buying one I decided on a Classic 3o ft behind a Durmax Chev pickup
Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Sounds like your method would be less expensive than the marine variety.

Did you consider adding something like 1X4s on the sides to protect the mouse fur?

No I haven't done that - but it's a good idea. I have used some extra blankets for padding on the side when hauling furniture. Last month I used it to haul a sectional over to my daughters place.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Judging by how many B-vans I saw on our 5 day trip last week, a whole bunch of people have found a whole bunch of good reasons to buy B-vans! B-vans are everywhere! And I must have seen every brand of them, including two AI's.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #91
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Mercedes Benz of New Orleans can't service my Interstate, which is a pity because they're only two miles away from where I live. I have to go to Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge, which is 66 miles away. The reasonó MB of BR has a service bay big enough to handle Sprinters. MB of NO doesn't.I've had no problem at all with Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge working on my Interstate. In fact, they installed my Koni shocks for me, even though I didn't purchase them there. They add my Walmart DEF instead of making me buy Mercedes DEF at eight times the price. The even removed my ECU chip and mailed it off to RennTech for an aftermarket ECU tune, and reinstalled it when RennTech was done with it. If they notice a problem with a non-Mercedes system in the course of Mercedes service, they tell me about it, but don't fix it.

No matter that you bought your Mercedes from an Airstream dealer, the fact is, you bought a Mercedes, and it's in their best interest to make sure you're happy with it.
Timing is everything. We bought our 2013 in March of last year, shortly after Mercedes opened a mega-dealership and service facility in Seattle about 3 miles from our front door. Great service and reasonable prices. They top off the DEF for free and thoroughly inspect the unit without charge. Top notch stuff. And, to add to our personal convenience, at the end of this month Honda opens a new dealership-service center next door to the Mercedes store, specifically designed to service our '06 Element (well, so it feels like).
Thinking about a toad. Need towing (trailer or 4-down) advice? Possibly Smart Car for two (4 down), or Scion iQ (trailer only). Jeff
Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #92
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Thinking about a toad. Need towing (trailer or 4-down) advice? Possibly Smart Car for two (4 down), or Scion iQ (trailer only). Jeff
Look in Motorhome Magazine's annual "Guide to Dinghy Towing." You'll have to find the edition that has the model year of your prospective toad. This is the best available (but not necessarily all-encompassing) guide to which models are towable four-down and which aren't.

But that's only a starting point. The definitive answer is the owners manual for whatever toad you wantó you can usually find an electronic copy of the manual online before you buy. Even if you can't find a copy online, you can ask to see the manual at test-drive time and look it up in the hard-copy version. And if you buy new, you can make towability a condition of the purchase, such that if you discover that the vehicle isn't towable four-down after all, they have to take the vehicle back and give you a refund. But get it in writing.

Plus check with the makers of towing kits such as Roadmaster, Blue Ox, and Stowaway to see if they make a kit for your make and model. If no one makes a kit for it, that's a really good indication that the vehicle isn't towable four-down.

I didn't really consider a Smart Car as a toad. For New Orleans commuter traffic, it would have been too much like driving a golf cart in rush-hour traffic and that notion scared me. Besides, one of the things in the front of my mind while shopping for a toad was cargo volume, which is why I got the Fit as opposed to one of the other towable sub-compact hatchbacks like the Chevy Sonic. 64 cubic feet of storage with the seats folded down allows me to carry a lot of personal possessions if I have to bug out for a hurricane.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Hello,

I see that you added an invisible bra to your Sprinter. Now that you have had it for awhile, do you believe that it does protect and would you make any recommendations on a brand or type?

Regards,
Pat

Hi Pat,

Yes I do believe that the invisible bra has helped save our interstate from rock chips and things like that on the road. We went straight to the Mercedes-Benz dealership since they were the ones who had the template for the vehicle. That being said the sprinter bumper was special to the vehicle, and it had to be manually cut for the Airstream. Overall, we are extremely happy with our purchase. It was approximately $1000, but that included a lifetime warranty.

Laura and Vince

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #94
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Our Interstate is truly a multi-purpose vehicle. We lived in it for three months this summer on a trip to Alaska. When home it gets used to haul the groceries or take 6-8 people out to see the sites. Last week I used it to haul a sectional couch to my daughter. I placed a plywood floor made for my old Ford van over the lounge bed protected by several old blankets. I didn't get a photo of the couch loaded, but here is a shot with load area empty.
Attachment 229249

- - Mike

Mike could you use that setup to put over the captain chairs and make an extra bed in a jam to sleep additional two.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlin761 View Post
Mike could you use that setup to put over the captain chairs and make an extra bed in a jam to sleep additional two.
Yes it can be done. Roadtrek has it as an option, but their seats are better designed to make the bed on front seats. I'm inserting a couple of photos of the Roadtrek system. Also I made a temp setup (last photo) for a couple of trips when we needed to sleep more than two people. It gets very cramped with a bed over the front seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Front Bed View 1.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	232823   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Front Bed View 2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	232824  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Bed.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	232825  
Old 02-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

I'm thinking someone could make one bed to cover all four seats. Thanks for the pics.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bound Brook , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlin761 View Post
I'm thinking someone could make one bed to cover all four seats. Thanks for the pics.
Sterlin,

I've been trying to figure that out as well. I don't have it figured, but I'm investigating getting a shortened table leg to put some kind of support in the center and then using an air matress across the whole space. My only concern with this is egress out of (or into the coach) when it is set up for sleeping. Most of my trip this summer will be be me and 2 kids, so I'll let them have the bed in back and may end up doing something like the single configuration above.

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I've posted this before it works pretty good for kids..

http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/201...front.html?m=1