Old 01-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
One other thing to check at any dealer who services Sprinter is do they have a lift that can handle six tons and an alignment setup that can handle the long wheelbase of the long, tall 3500. I had to go to a local Road Trek dealer to do that.

Also as I've said previously, I can drive for 5-6 hours and get out an actually walk w/o having to unkink as I do after a couple of hours in my Tahoe.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #58
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I have been following along with this thread and it really does suggest Airstream are missing an opportunity. In Europe there are two markets for van conversions....those converted to motorhomes (ie self-propelled trailers) and day vans. A day van may look like a motorhome but is geared up as a luxury means of transportation, including anything you would need during travelling (kitchen and bathroom), but has no focus on sleeping (unless you want to sleep on a sofa/recliner). Seems many AI owners buy them as day vans, not motorhomes and as such they are a compromise....Maybe Airstream need two ranges a motorhome range and a day van range, so folks can choice?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Mercedes Benz of New Orleans can't service my Interstate, which is a pity because they're only two miles away from where I live. I have to go to Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge, which is 66 miles away. The reason— MB of BR has a service bay big enough to handle Sprinters. MB of NO doesn't.
My head swims at the notion of any MB dealer not being able to work on a Sprinter. It never even occurred to me as a possibility. MB of Clear Lake Texas is located about a mile from me and they work on Sprinters of every conceivable configuration, including ambulances, paddy wagons, limousine-looking things, and types of RVs that I've never set eyes on before. The first time I took my Interstate in, the off-the-record feedback that I got (FWIW) was, "Oh, you've got a Dodge-plated Sprinter - we love working on those because they were well-made."

One thing to keep in mind, though - while there may not be "certified" upfitters per se, apparently there is some kind of a designation along the lines of "Sprinter-certified", and using a "Sprinter-certified" dealer might be significantly lower in price than MB. One of our local Dodge dealerships makes that claim. I haven't yet had to compare prices but their wait time for service is typically something like three weeks, so I suspect there's a price advantage to using them.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I have been following along with this thread and it really does suggest Airstream are missing an opportunity. In Europe there are two markets for van conversions....those converted to motorhomes (ie self-propelled trailers) and day vans. A day van may look like a motorhome but is geared up as a luxury means of transportation, including anything you would need during travelling (kitchen and bathroom), but has no focus on sleeping (unless you want to sleep on a sofa/recliner). Seems many AI owners buy them as day vans, not motorhomes and as such they are a compromise....Maybe Airstream need two ranges a motorhome range and a day van range, so folks can choice?
They do make a 9 passenger version with most of the amenities except for a small loss of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
My head swims at the notion of any MB dealer not being able to work on a Sprinter. It never even occurred to me as a possibility. MB of Clear Lake Texas is located about a mile from me and they work on Sprinters of every conceivable configuration, including ambulances, paddy wagons, limousine-looking things, and types of RVs that I've never set eyes on before. The first time I took my Interstate in, the off-the-record feedback that I got (FWIW) was, "Oh, you've got a Dodge-plated Sprinter - we love working on those because they were well-made."

One thing to keep in mind, though - while there may not be "certified" upfitters per se, apparently there is some kind of a designation along the lines of "Sprinter-certified", and using a "Sprinter-certified" dealer might be significantly lower in price than MB. One of our local Dodge dealerships makes that claim. I haven't yet had to compare prices but their wait time for service is typically something like three weeks, so I suspect there's a price advantage to using them.
I can testify that my Dodge dealer did do some work on mine at somewhat more economical prices.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #61
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The day van concept is not about number of seats - you can get a Sprinter 'crew bus' if you want a super mini-van. It's around making provision for the role it would play. An example would be if you aren't going sleep in it change from a wetroom to a more spacious bathroom, but may be have an external shower for beach/hot days - so it becomes less of a 'hotel on wheels' more of a self contained way to travel.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have a MB diesel engine, and from day one it has been serviced almost entirely by our local Peterbilt.

It's basically a small truck, and Peterbilt does and knows trucks, was Doug's thought.

No questions, no problems, no hassles, they do a consistently great job, and now do a few extras for me......like checking and re-caulking the roof.

Tires are installed and serviced by a local tire place.

The dealerships tend to be crazy expensive, in our experience.

Is there a fear of truck service centers, like Peterbilt, or a belief that only an MB dealer can service these?

I don't understand the need to stick to the dealerships.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Also remember that the AS dealers who do not sell interstates may not be properly schooled on AI particulars. Peace, jim
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
....Maybe Airstream need two ranges a motorhome range and a day van range, so folks can choice?

They now do have two ranges, starting this year. The Interstate Lounge model could be considered a day van. The new Grand Tour model is more a motorhome with better systems for those who want to use it primarily for camping, or as I tell my wife "Glamping" (glamor camping).

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
They aren't the most comfortable to sleep in but they sure are wonderful to road trip in.. That's usually what we do, get a nice vacation rental and if need be we could always rent a car ( although I never have I just use the rv)

It is great for day trips we just used it to head down to the beach and watch the sunset on Sunday.. That's what we love about it.. Easy to drive easy to park and has so many uses.

If my wife wants to go to the mall we usually take the RV so I have a place to retreat and watch tv or take a nap.. It's also great when you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.. The kids can get up and go to the bathroom or my wife or me if she's driving can get up and make a snack..

They are just awesome machines!! Good luck and hopefully you will become one of the converted..
Can you owners elaborate on the statement that they are not comfortable to sleep in? Are there mods that can address this?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #66
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Can you owners elaborate on the statement that they are not comfortable to sleep in? Are there mods that can address this?
Caveat: If you have the sofa/lounge model. The sofa, when folded out into a bed, is not uniformly padded. The generally accepted fix is a mattress topper to bridge across the less-padded spots.

If you get a twin-bed model, that is not a problem.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
What he said.. 😃 I am going to try a thin blow up mattress on our next trip.. We brought a foam topper and it took up too much room..
Old 01-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have always just slept on the cushions, with a nice quilted mattress pad between us and them.

Lay on one, sprawl onto the one next to you.

It will never be a regular bed, but has always been comfortable and we have slept very well.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
We use a 3 inch foam topper and a pillow topper. Most comfortable bed we've ever had. It does make a large bed roll that we roll up in the day and strap it in place at back of bed. I leave the folding lounge down, but raise the folding side jackknife seats. The bed roll then form a back rear for the rear seating area. We mostly live in the front area with table installed and the passenger seat reversed.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Caveat: If you have the sofa/lounge model. The sofa, when folded out into a bed, is not uniformly padded. The generally accepted fix is a mattress topper to bridge across the less-padded spots.

If you get a twin-bed model, that is not a problem.
Caveat further qualified: To avoid this limitation, get one of the current-day twin bed models if you are buying new, or get one of the older jack-knife models if you are buying used (by "jack-knife" I mean where longitudinal couches facing each other flip down and meet in the middle to become a queen bed). Both are reported to be comfortable without requiring user modification.