Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't always care for privately owned RV parks, either, but I love state and federal park campgrounds with lakes, fire pits, and grills-
Then you'll also like Corps of Engineers campgrounds.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Our Interstate is truly a multi-purpose vehicle. We lived in it for three months this summer on a trip to Alaska. When home it gets used to haul the groceries or take 6-8 people out to see the sites. Last week I used it to haul a sectional couch to my daughter. I placed a plywood floor made for my old Ford van over the lounge bed protected by several old blankets. I didn't get a photo of the couch loaded, but here is a shot with load area empty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419615917.104010.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	229249

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Our Interstate is truly a multi-purpose vehicle. .... I placed a plywood floor made for my old Ford van over the lounge bed protected by several old blankets. I didn't get a photo of the couch loaded, but here is a shot with load area empty.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
We will be building such a platform as well, possibly to haul landscaping elements. I've always said that I'd never drive a vehicle that can't swallow a four by eight sheet of plywood with ease. Now I have two of them (the other is a minivan).
Old 12-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Then you'll also like Corps of Engineers campgrounds.

Yep. Love 'em.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What's not to love....that's all I have to say.

Approaching 8 years of ownership, 155,000+ miles, and couldn't love it more.

Maggie
Old 12-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Just taking the baby to the beach early in the morning. Parallel parked along the beach with an ocean view. Keurig coffee maker brewing fresh coffee. Reading the local paper. Nice. This would not be possible with a larger RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Ours sees the most use as a way to take 4-5 grand-kids on vacation each year. They don't mind the suborbital ride in the rear and as Protag said, the ride in front is very nice. I can drive for four hours and get out and walk w/o having to loosen up.

Having the on-board amenities like the bathroom, TVs, frig, and microwave is a definite plus. It's easy to drive and park too. Then there's the obligatory tours for the admirers.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boonville , Missouri
Never Camped - Don't intend to

So, we've never camped in ours, and we really don't intend to. We like to think of our interstate as a private jet we can take in comfort to the places we want to go. First of all, we have young kids, so the convenience of a bathroom, microwave, TVs, etc. are very nice on trips.
When we do plan a vacation, we typically book hotels with a breakfast included (Hampton Inn is our favorite) to start off our day, lunch in the interstate during the day's adventures and roll into the next stop after eating supper on the way - we love this arrangement for vacation-ish travel.
We do use it often for day trips as well. Our model seats nine in seat belts, so as an example, we took another couple with us recently (along with their two kids) to a neighboring town for brunch with Santa. We came out of the event to a nice warm vehicle, and the other couple deeply appreciated our hospitality. Of course, we've used it just to go to the grocery store or Sam's Club too.
Lastly, my job requires me to interact with some "muckety mucks" from time to time, where I need to be a host getting them to places around town. These folks may be government officials or industry prospects, but all are impressed with the thoughtfulness of the ride when I am their host. (As an aside, I insure my rig as a personal vehicle, not as an RV, in part for this purpose).
OK - really lastly, I also think of my Interstate as a bit of a backup to my home as well. I know that if I had to "bug out" for weather or some other reason, we could survive for a few days with the supplies I keep on hand in it. I like that feeling.
All in all, we use this vehicle much, much more than the 5th wheel it replaced simply because it is fun to drive, maneuverable, and makes a statement. We will have put on about 10,000 miles this year, with only 2,700 miles being from a "big trip" to SD, WY, CO, KS.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Nothing worse than taking a road trip and not being able to drink coffee, water etc knowing that at some point you will have to find a bathroom. We cruise wherever we want without worry that we will have to make a pit stop in some dirty gas station.

Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Be sure to set a couple of mousetraps, especially if leaving food in the RV. I ignored this advice and went three years w/o a problem. Went out the other day after we had just returned from a short trip and found a small, quarter size hole in the rear lounge w/ some of the foam scattered about. Over the next two days, caught two mice. Not sure where they got in but suspect firewall. I know they can get thru very small openings.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
this thread makes me want an Interstate.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
this thread makes me want an Interstate.
It's an Interstate of mind. It re-writes the rules. I spent many years in school and then a decade working for "The Man". Then I started working for myself about 8 years ago. The state of mind I get by traveling in the Interstate is very much like the one I experienced when I went into business for myself. When you are traveling in a car or working for someone else, you do what the situation demands of you (with dirty bathrooms in both cases). In an Interstate or in your own company, you do what you want.

There would probably be people who say, "All RVs produce the same effect" but all RVs are not as versatile as a Class B, so I imagine that effect would be less.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boynton Beach , Florida
I second the private jet post we use our 2015 as a luxury transport. Weather 20 miles or a thousand it really takes the stress out of traveling. We have had ours since September and use a few times a week. We've already had some fantastic times from the blue ridge mountains to Disney World, beaches, parks and luxury resorts. I can park it anywhere anytime. Very pricey but we love ours.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree completely with IB.

There is something very secure about knowing that all you need is a place to park and you have everything you need.

Ours has spent many a night in places a larger rig simply couldn't go......and is much more unobtrusive.

If you have water, propane, and a charged battery, those will meet all needs. So fun, so versatile.

If I'd had the money to have something like this when raising my children, might have had one......but, I didn't, and it instead became retirement nirvana for two physically and emotionally weary SOI worker bees.

We wanted a camper van.....and this is it, in style.

Maggie