Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
Rearview camera

objects are actually much closer than how they look in the screen. do i need to adjust the camera angle ? right now it picks up a little bit of the high brake light in the screen.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
You can adjust the camera angle by climbing up on the back of your AI and bending the camera mount, but I doubt that would solve your issue. It certainly will have no effect on
Quote:
objects are actually much closer than how they look in the screen
as that is an inescapable function of the wide angle lens necessary to provide enough view of everything behind the vehicle when you are backing. The rear view camera is intended primarily as a backup aid so you don't accidentally run over your favorite camp chair or the neighbor's kid and only secondarily as a rear view. The real rear view is from the excellent side mirrors and even with those objects may be closer than they appear in some views.

The only way I have come up with to prevent the camera picking up the glow from the tail/brake light at the top of the rear doors is to turn the camera system off. Even if you could legally disable the upper taillight, the camera lens has a wide enough angle mine picks up light from the lower left and right brake/tail lights as well as the glow from the brake/tail lights on the Stowaway carrier mounted on my trailer hitch.

There are other backup cameras that are compatible with the system in the AI, but as far as I know they all have wide angle lenses as well. The Kenwood CMOS310 camera is compatible with the Kenwood DNX7109HD receiver in the dash of the 2012 and 2013 models and up to two of them one front and one rear can be connected and viewed on the DNX7190HD screen. They offer multiple views but they are still wide angle so objects will be closer but you might be able to locate on of those cameras or relocate the existing camera to a location free from taillight glow, but it would be tricky to find such a mounting spot that would adequately fulfill the backup camera function.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Yes, I agree with most of what joemikeb says, except that my dealer has managed to adjust my rearview camera so I don't see any tail lights.
Make sure the very small rearview mirrors on the bottom of the door mirrors are correctly adjusted so you can see if anything is lurking in your blind spots to the sides.
On another note, you should turn off the camera monitor when it gets dark, since it seems to compensate for darkness - like a digital camera - and will dazzle you!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine is adjusted so the nearest object I can see is about three feet away. My monitor is fairly dark at night. I also labeled the monitor with ten foot increments to allow me to better judge how close something is.

Rather than bending the bracket, use an Allen wrench to loosen and adjust.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I am generally sensitive to glare at night but find the back up screen to be just right. During the day it could be brighter though as it tends to be hard to see due to reflections off of the interior. I wonder why shark and my experience is different than UKDUDE's? My unit is a Pyle and I keep it at factory settings FWIW.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I am generally sensitive to glare at night but find the back up screen to be just right. During the day it could be brighter though as it tends to be hard to see due to reflections off of the interior. I wonder why shark and my experience is different than UKDUDE's? My unit is a Pyle and I keep it at factory settings FWIW.
I find that mine works best on factory defaults UNLESS I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. I see best when it's an overcast day so I don't need sunglasses and there's no glare at all on the monitor glass. Then it's perfect.

I find that the best way to cut down on glare is to aim the monitor/mirror down slightly so that if you were using it as a mirror (monitor off) you would have a good reflection of the sofa's back cushion. Your experience may differ.

One thing I thought of doing is getting an iPad screen protector and cutting it down to fit the camera monitor. That should cut down on glare, and allow you to bump up the brightness a little without washing out the image. Problem is, every time I'm in Best Buy or someplace that sells the screen protectors, I forget to buy one.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
+1 on tilting the mirror down. Mine is a Pyle also.

Good idea on the screen protector. But wouldn't any non glare screen protector work for most any phone?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
+1 on tilting the mirror down. Mine is a Pyle also.

Good idea on the screen protector. But wouldn't any non glare screen protector work for most any phone?
iPads are bigger than the monitor screen so you can cut it to fit. Most protectors come pre-cut to fit, and so a phone protector might only cover part of the monitor screen.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I was thinking of a Android tablet which I thought would be cheaper because Apple products always seem to be about double everything else.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Yes - mine's a Pyle PLCM7200 - probably the same as yours. I haven't touched the settings since I bought the AI, but I'll play around with it a bit. The (online) manual doesn't have much info, and nothing about setting it back to factory settings.
Thanks for prodding me into looking into it!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
I have the Pyle PLCM7200 in our 2013 ext and the screen decided to go poof today in a cloud of white smoke. Fortunately I had just pulled into a parking space and was able to witness where the smell and smoke was coming from without freaking out while navigating traffic.

In my research I found it on Amazon and it is ONLY $59! There are lots of really scathing reviews about how it doesn't last and is complete junk.

I'm hesitant to have the same thing put back in even though under warranty. Has anyone else had this type of issue and found a more reliable product to replace it with?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
The camera went out on mine (the screen was fine). Randy at AS supplied a replacement camera and I just had my auto mechanic install it last week. My local AS service center did not want to do the job (the mostly do trailers, not coaches, though they have done other work on my unit they did not want to touch this project) and my next closest AS SC is 200 miles away. We are waiting to see if Randy will pay my guy for the FIVE hours it took him to chase the camera wiring down the full run above the cabinets on the drivers of the RV (Randy had indicated that the camera wiring went through the curb side upper locker with the other wiring, but that was NOT the case). There is precious little room up there to fish wire and it required significant deconstruction of the cabin to get the job done. At any rate, the picture with the new camera is no where near as crisp as it was with the original. I was quite happy with the system before it went TU, now with the new camera it is acceptable, but the picture is decidedly low resolution compared to what I recall with the old camera and does not perform as well in low light situations.

The camera Randy provided is a Pioneer ND BC6. It was very similar to the one it replaced but I'm not sure if it was the exact same model or not. The wiring and plugs were slightly different for sure.

Prior to my mechanic digging into the job I did do a cursory search for better quality camera systems. I did find one other option that I considered but decided not to spend the money on the upgrade, I hope I made the right decision. The option I considered was the Voyager stuff available from all the usual outlets. I was not interested in adding additional cameras (multiple views) which seems to be the primary benefit their systems add. Most monitors seem to be smaller than our Pyle unit and I was not interested in giving up any screen size. I also like the way ours mounts over the otherwise useless mirror vs many other aftermarket solutions which mount on the dash our elsewhere. Wish I had found something I really wanted now that I know what a big job it is to run the wire!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Not Pyle. Everything, and I mean everything, I've ever purchased made by Pyle broke down/was dead on arrival.

We ordered a wireless PA some months back, when it arrived it was almost comically broken. Despite the fact that it contained no radio receiver that we could find, it managed to pick up several FM stations on a microphone input. The microphone however didn't wok.

I have no idea who makes their stuff. But it's Pyle, as in a pyle of ****.