Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Well Hallelujah, and pass the biscuits !!

I got those damn Boss air bags excised this morning. Wow what a positive difference. It's no longer a bar fight going on back there; in fact, the rear is a little more supple on bumps now than the front. To recap: now I have Konis all around and the Hellwig rear sway bar.

Note to self: make one modification at a time and evaluate before you take another $tep.

I have no bump stops in the rear, so if anyone has a pair, PM me. For now, I'm swimming without trunks and hoping I don't hit a really big wallop of a bump back there.

The Sprinter place here in Tualatin Oregon that sold them to me wanted $200 to remove them. I got it done at a pro suspension & truck spring shop for $95. Sheesh guys. Gee maybe they will buy my used air bags from me since they love to sell them so much? Highly doubt it.

NEXT: new thread coming about Koni reds in front being ... adjustable??
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Well Hallelujah, and pass the biscuits !!

I got those damn Boss air bags excised this morning. Wow what a positive difference. It's no longer a bar fight going on back there; in fact, the rear is a little more supple on bumps now than the front. To recap: now I have Konis all around and the Hellwig rear sway bar.

Note to self: make one modification at a time and evaluate before you take another $tep.

I have no bump stops in the rear, so if anyone has a pair, PM me. For now, I'm swimming without trunks and hoping I don't hit a really big wallop of a bump back there.

The Sprinter place here in Tualatin Oregon that sold them to me wanted $200 to remove them. I got it done at a pro suspension & truck spring shop for $95. Sheesh guys. Gee maybe they will buy my used air bags from me since they love to sell them so much? Highly doubt it.

NEXT: new thread coming about Koni reds in front being ... adjustable??
I'm confused? I thought the Boss air bags replaced the bump stops on rear axle.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Exactly right, Mike.
The bump stops were removed back when I had Sumo Springs installed. The airbags then replaced the Sumo Springs. I had not retained the bump stops... sniff...
Old 06-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Exactly right, Mike.
The bump stops were removed back when I had Sumo Springs installed. The airbags then replaced the Sumo Springs. I had not retained the bump stops... sniff...
OK - then why do you need a pair of bump stops?
Old 06-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
I'm just assuming that if Mercedes put bump stops in, then I should have bump stops. The Sumos went there, were removed, then the Boss bags went in that same location, and now they are gone.

Has anyone felt a bottoming out when fully loaded? We carry 4000 in the front and 7000 in the rear. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I'm just assuming that if Mercedes put bump stops in, then I should have bump stops. The Sumos went there, were removed, then the Boss bags went in that same location, and now they are gone.

Has anyone felt a bottoming out when fully loaded? We carry 4000 in the front and 7000 in the rear. Fingers crossed.
TRONADORA - apologies. Just realized I miss-read your last post about the Boss airbags. You said you "excised" them, as in removed them. I miss-read that as exercised them. My error.

It is probably best to have a bump stop incase you bottom out to prevent possible damage. You can probably get a pair of new bump stops from the dealer.

Good luck,

Edit: Another option would be to cut the previously removed Sumo Springs to the same length as the OEM bump stops and reinstall them as bump stops.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Good tip about cutting down the Sumo Springs.... too bad I sold them on Ebay while traveling so I could get them out of my storage area in the AI.

I remember checking the MB price on bump stops last year and fainted. $280 comes to mind but I can't remember for sure.

If anyone knows where Sprinters go to die and get parted out, lemme know.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Good tip about cutting down the Sumo Springs.... too bad I sold them on Ebay while traveling so I could get them out of my storage area in the AI.

I remember checking the MB price on bump stops last year and fainted. $280 comes to mind but I can't remember for sure.

If anyone knows where Sprinters go to die and get parted out, lemme know.
Try checking with the Sprinter Shop there in Tualatin, Oregon. They might have a few old ones laying around and would sell/give you them.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Hi Mike, I appreciate you looking out for me but Sprinter Store in Tualatin Oregon are the jokers that sold me the pig in a poke to begin with at their recommendation, and installed the awful leaf springs, and they botched the airbag air line installation... twice. And wanted 2x the going rate for removing the $&#*)@ air bags. And when I asked if they had any bump stops they could put in, at first they said probably have some, but I never got a returned call after several tries. Also, my emails to the owner got no response back.

I'll never trust them again. And lest someone makes an assumption... after 30 years in business myself, I know how to behave with people I want or need something from and I have been nothing but calm and professional with them.

Cheers !
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Hi Mike, I appreciate you looking out for me but Sprinter Store in Tualatin Oregon are the jokers that sold me the pig in a poke to begin with at their recommendation, and installed the awful leaf springs, and they botched the airbag air line installation... twice. And wanted 2x the going rate for removing the $&#*)@ air bags. And when I asked if they had any bump stops they could put in, at first they said probably have some, but I never got a returned call after several tries. Also, my emails to the owner got no response back.

I'll never trust them again. And lest someone makes an assumption... after 30 years in business myself, I know how to behave with people I want or need something from and I have been nothing but calm and professional with them.

Cheers !
Sorry to hear that. I wonder if it the same owner as back in 2014?

I have close friends in West Lynn, OR. During a visit I had them do my 40,000 mile service, transmission fluid change and replace all the shocks with Koni's. They did an excellent job for me.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
They obviously are capable of doing many things right to be in business this long, I highly doubt the owner drives an RV with Boss airbags or extra leaf springs.