Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Update: So here’s the tool and trick to pop out just the lens holder, it’s the innermost ring, using a small (the gap you insert to pry out is extremely fine so you may have to sharpen the head) flat head screwdriver. Begin by carefully wiggle the blade in the ring groove and pry it out just enough to get your fingernail on the ring then pull it out, I used the ring as templates and just cut the gel sheets smaller. I found a local supplier that has the 20x24” color gel sheet for $9 and it has enough material for about 90 lights, I used 10 for the ceiling only, leaving the bathroom and countertop lights alone to keep the brightness, since the gel cut output about 20%, still plenty and it sure feels warmer and more homey, the left one in picture. Please PM me if you want to do same, there’s enough free material for 8 more rigs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4770.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	327113Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4771.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	327114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4775.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	327115
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Air99 - Thank you for following up on this. Great pics and description !
I apologize for not doing that for y'all when you asked for it... I've had so many repair issues on the road I totally forgot.

Today we finally arrive back in Portland after four months, 28 states and 13,000 miles. Lots of stories that I'll try and make into relevant posts in the weeks ahead.

The only thing I can add to your excellent description is one tip: After the first one, where you pull out the lens to have a template to draw from, you don't need to pry up the metal tabs that hold in the glass lens on the other nine lights IF you shave off some filter material to let the filter lay in there without buckling up. In other words, imagine the round filter gel having a flat spot at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. These areas allow the gel to slip under those pesky tabs. It saves some time and you won't risk having the tabs weaken or not holding the glass disk securely after re-bending the tabs back into place. But don't shave off too much or you won't fully cover the light that passes through the glass disk.

Now if I could figure out how to disassemble the two bright reading lights way in the back and treat them the same way...
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Air99 - Thank you for following up on this. Great pics and description !
I apologize for not doing that for y'all when you asked for it... I've had so many repair issues on the road I totally forgot.

Today we finally arrive back in Portland after four months, 28 states and 13,000 miles. Lots of stories that I'll try and make into relevant posts in the weeks ahead.

The only thing I can add to your excellent description is one tip: After the first one, where you pull out the lens to have a template to draw from, you don't need to pry up the metal tabs that hold in the glass lens on the other nine lights IF you shave off some filter material to let the filter lay in there without buckling up. In other words, imagine the round filter gel having a flat spot at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. These areas allow the gel to slip under those pesky tabs. It saves some time and you won't risk having the tabs weaken or not holding the glass disk securely after re-bending the tabs back into place. But don't shave off too much or you won't fully cover the light that passes through the glass disk.

Now if I could figure out how to disassemble the two bright reading lights way in the back and treat them the same way...

Oh no apologies necessary but my, what a trip you’ve been on [emoji33], can’t wait to hear about it! My bad for leaving the needle nosed pliers in the pic but it was not used at all, the filter film was cut smaller and just slipped in under those tabs. Again, glad you made it home, guess you can’t call it an adventure without something went wrong [emoji23]
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote