Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldDad View Post
We abandoned our Pyle monitor in favor of using the monitor in the Kenwood unit. Elsewhere in this forum is an exceptionally well written article (with step by step instructions, and pictures!) of how to move the video inputs from the Pyle to the Kenwood. I also installed a switch that fools my Kenwood head into thinking I'm putting the vehicle in reverse, so I can turn on the camera anytime I want. Additionally, my Kenwood unit has a split-screen mode where I can put the gps and camera views on side by side during normal operation. The main reason I went to this effort though, was not the Pyle monitor. Rather, it was to regain the functionality of my rear view mirror. I have some young kids that I like to have an eye on from time to time.
This is great to know. Can you provide the article's location, please?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapa Nui View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-113472.html

The author is quite a genius and provided us with a well-written pdf too.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapa Nui View Post
Thank you. Just finished reading the pdf and it reads far more complicated than it actually is (as is usual for any form of direction). Will give it a go. Again, thanks for the link.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Boonville , Missouri
Thank you UKDUDE. I've been off the forum a couple of days...
Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Ocean City , Maryland
Thanks

Thanks for all the help and advise and will eventually figure it all out and let u know the results.

Joe
Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Scottsdale , Arizona
Back camera driving me nuts

Have had my Interstate to authorized dealer for repairs 3-4 times, and now back again. It is good for 30 min to 2 hrs then starts acting up. Haven't been able to come up with a pattern. The comments about the fuse holder maybe is the solution and I will pass that on to dealer.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
After reading Scott's excellent writeup (link posted above) I decided to do this during my vacation this week. Before tearing into it I stopped by my local Best Buy to get a feel for their installer and the cost. The installer had 20 years experience and the price to move the monitor from the Pyle to the Kenwood 7190HD was $39. DONE!

The fellow impressed me so much I went ahead and had him install an audiovox ($89) for the front camera and the labor was $99 for that. So for $230 and 2 hours of time I have this exactly the way I want it. This is much superior to the Pyle setup in my opinion.

Can someone who has done it post which wire is connected to the parking brake? The Best Buy installer couldn't ground that wire due to corporate legal blah blah so I will have to do that part myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCpl View Post
Can someone who has done it post which wire is connected to the parking brake? The Best Buy installer couldn't ground that wire due to corporate legal blah blah so I will have to do that part myself.

Since we both have 2013s, here's a pic of the light green wire I grounded:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412147771.058581.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	619.9 KB
ID:	223280
Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

We had a 2013 and the monitor was perfect. We upgraded to a 2014.5 and the Pyle monitor is of no use to us. The color and hue is not adjustable to be used but the major complaint we have is that a vehicle directly behind us( a few feet) appear to be about a half mile away in the monitor. We totally have to rely on the side view mirrors. We have been to the RV dealer and the Mercedes dealership / interstate dealer in Atlanta. They both say its normal and cannot be changed. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGal View Post
We had a 2013 and the monitor was perfect. We upgraded to a 2014.5 and the Pyle monitor is of no use to us. The color and hue is not adjustable to be used but the major complaint we have is that a vehicle directly behind us( a few feet) appear to be about a half mile away in the monitor. We totally have to rely on the side view mirrors. We have been to the RV dealer and the Mercedes dealership / interstate dealer in Atlanta. They both say its normal and cannot be changed. Has anyone else had this issue?
The Pyle monitor has a fish-eye lens that distorts the image, further complicated by the fact that it is mounted high and angled downward. A camera mounted at the level of the rear door handle or the license plate wouldn't have quite as distorted an image, but things in adjacent lanes will still look farther away than things directly behind you in your lane. And a lower-mounted light would be more subject to being blinded by the headlights on the car behind at night, too. So for me the high-mount fisheye lens is a reasonable compromise.

I find that the rear-view camera is ideal when I'm towing my Honda, or if I have my cargo tray attached to the hitch, because the camera lets me keep an eye on the load. It's also good for backing, to make sure you don't run over anything since you can see almost down to your rear bumper.

But for highway cruising, I find it's a lot more important to keep track of other traffic with the four side mirrors. If you adjust the flat and convex mirrors on each side, you can more-or-less eliminate blind spots; as soon as a vehicle is close enough to disappear off the rear-view camera, you can pick him up on the side mirrors, and by the time he disappears off the side mirrors, you can see him out the window.

I never use the rear-view camera to determine passing distance. To see when I'm far enough ahead to cut back into my original lane, I look at the vehicle I'm passing in the flat passenger-side mirror. If I can see the whole front of the vehicle in that mirror, and not just a slice of the vehicle's front end, I'm far enough ahead to cut back in front of him without cutting him off.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Just for the record, our 2014 Sprinter came with the new blind-spot assist feature. It is a radar-thing that yells at you if you try to change lanes when it isn't safe. It is totally awesome. I miss it when driving other vehicles.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Just for the record, our 2014 Sprinter came with the new blind-spot assist feature. It is a radar-thing that yells at you if you try to change lanes when it isn't safe. It is totally awesome. I miss it when driving other vehicles.
Scratching the itch of curiosity, does it prevent you from cutting them off by changing lanes too close in front, or just keep you from hitting them directly?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Scratching the itch of curiosity, does it prevent you from cutting them off by changing lanes too close in front, or just keep you from hitting them directly?
There is a defined area to the left- and right-side of the Sprinter that it considers "unsafe to change lanes". Whenever there is a vehicle in one of the "unsafe zones", a red triangle lights up in the corresponding outside mirror. If you turn on the your turn signal in that direction, it starts beeping and flashing the triangle in an effort to dissuade you from actually changing lanes.

To answer your question: Yes, the "unsafe zone" extends far enough behind the vehicle such that by the time the light goes out you are generally far-enough ahead of the other vehicle such that it would be polite to pull in front of them. It is really pretty magical.

All of this is complemented by "lane assist", which is even more magical: There is a camera near the top of the windshield that watches the lines on the highway and starts beeping if you start to drift out of your lane without signaling first. Sounds annoying, but it is very well tuned. I love it. Sure does drive home how distracting fiddling with the radio or nav system really is!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Interesting steps in technology that will lead to self driving vehicles.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote