Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Rear Lounge Headrests

Do you take them with you on overnight trips? Seems like they may just get in the way when taking them out to convert the bed. Then, unless you keep the bed made up, you have to stick them back in the seat....and repeat.

Now, if you are meeting others, that you know will ride with you on day trips, I understand, but otherwise, where do you put them?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Do you take them with you on overnight trips? Seems like they may just get in the way when taking them out to convert the bed. Then, unless you keep the bed made up, you have to stick them back in the seat....and repeat.

Now, if you are meeting others, that you know will ride with you on day trips, I understand, but otherwise, where do you put them?
My Interstate is the non-extended version, so there are no fold-down extensions between the top of the bed and the rear doors. I take the headrests and armrests, and insert them (left to right) headrest, armrest, armrest, headrest, into the gap. They stick up a bit, but do a good job of making sure my pillows don't migrate between the bed and the door. I've been doing it that way since my second night in my Interstate, and hardly even think about it anymore.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I don't take them with me I also keep some of the little pillows at home.
I like Pro's approach never sought of it and yes the pillow has the tendency to migrate between bed an door as min is a non ext also.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I leave the headrests at home when traveling and using the bed. I also don't use the fold down bed extensions on my Extended Lounge model. The area behind the bed is for storage as seen in this recent photo. Only problem is avoiding hitting our heads on the pedals of the tandem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	209010  
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Mike, that's a great picture! Although we do have a bike rack for our bikes, we have so much other stuff back there that I worry about having a mini avalanche every time we open the back doors....guitar, ukelele, small stove, 2 folding chairs. And now our latest addition, a folding party booze cart.

We always leave the bed made...never fold it up. Took a few trips for us to decide that it was too much trouble to fold it up and make it every day. Plus, we were having a hard time accommodating our dogs when we were driving. And didn't have anyplace to lie down and hang out with the dogs. You see who runs the show here, right?!

So now, we have a big blanket that we cover the bed with during the day, and it becomes a gigantic dog bed. At night, we take that blanket off, and put ours on.

The head rests...we also use them at night to keep our pillows from falling into the deep abyss.

The little decorative pillows...we were gonna take them out and leave them at home, but sometimes, when we lounge in the back on the giant dog bed with the dogs, we'll use them for our backs.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
My headrests are in a box in the attic along with the factory supplied throw pillows and the shelves and brackets out of the wardrobe. On the rare occasions that the bed gets un-made to accommodate passengers, the foam mattress and bedding gets stuffed into a large duffle bag and shoved in the wardrobe ... we've never missed the headrests, the mattress pad keeps the pillows from getting past the backrest and the rear doors in our shorty.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #7

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Santiago , Santiago , Chile
Hi , nice post , does anyone know which is the best foam cover to make the bed better and more bed like ? I am about to pick my New extended Inter , in New jersey and driving 2 people and a Golden retreiver to Seattle!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
For bed covering we went to REI camping store and bought 2 quality air mattresses that are about 1-3" thick with memory foam inside the mattress. You inflate by mouth to the thickness you want. We do about 2" and then deflate during the day. But I have the extended and we built a divider for the rear storage area and made a shelf on top to store the sleeping pillows and the air mattresses.

As for the many throw pillows and the head restraints, they are home in the closet along with the bed extended things from the back.

I've been looking at Roadtrek and they do not use head restraints, but then again they are using 3 point seat belts on the 2 outbound sides of the sofa in the back.