Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Las vegas , Nevada
Rear Jack Points for Interstate ?

Time to change rear tires. Unfortunately the manual is useless again in terms of identifying jack points. The rear jack points they refer to are covered by our Airstream Interstate tanks. So a few questions:

- Where are we supposed to jack to put a stand? Tire shops says they cannot jack on axel and put it on a stand bc lack of room to do both.

- Is there any other place to safely jack rear ?

- Can you safely jack on the differential (pumpkin) - a lot of debate abt whether this is safe, esp given extra weight the Airstreams carry.

- Can we safely jack on the hitch?

elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
- Where are we supposed to jack to put a stand? Tire shops says they cannot jack on axel and put it on a stand bc lack of room to do both.

- Is there any other place to safely jack rear ?

- Can you safely jack on the differential (pumpkin) - a lot of debate abt whether this is safe, esp given extra weight the Airstreams carry.

- Can we safely jack on the hitch?
Just a personal opinion & sorry this does not answer your question - the fact that there is no clear answer, I don't want to find out myself, coz it's dangerous enough to change tires on a regular truck. But I can't fathom me jacking up an 11,000 lb. beast. The one time I needed tire work (no choice, needed the shop due to complexity of work), I went to a commercial & rv tire shop and actually stalked the place a few days just to make sure they did lots of rv work. Actually got a better result coz saw multiple class B's pull in and the local Red Rock BLM Fire trucks. Day I came in, there was actually another AI in front of me. That made me feel good. And having said all that, they still had to redo the work 2x. I did not see nor want to know where they jacked it up. All I know is them jacks where massive that they used.

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I was able to get the bottle jack on the Sprinter jack points. It was a tight fit next to the LPG tank. When they rotate of change my tires they put a floor jack under the rear differential. MB warns says not ti, but I couldn't see any real alternative since the bottle jack is not very convenient.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Just a personal opinion & sorry this does not answer your question - the fact that there is no clear answer, I don't want to find out myself, coz it's dangerous enough to change tires on a regular truck. But I can't fathom me jacking up an 11,000 lb. beast. The one time I needed tire work (no choice, needed the shop due to complexity of work), I went to a commercial & rv tire shop and actually stalked the place a few days just to make sure they did lots of rv work. Actually got a better result coz saw multiple class B's pull in and the local Red Rock BLM Fire trucks. Day I came in, there was actually another AI in front of me. That made me feel good. And having said all that, they still had to redo the work 2x. I did not see nor want to know where they jacked it up. All I know is them jacks where massive that they used.
Thanks for your thoughts. I should clarify that I am not doing this myself. However, the local tire shop won't touch it bc this is too complex for them. So I'm just trying to get informed abt the right way to do it and understand what others have done. As Titus pointed out, MB manual for 2013 says don't use differential, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. Interestingly the 2012 manual doesn't say not to use the differential. There have been some debates abt this on other threads, but as you point out there is no conclusive answer. I've read in other threads that MB says not to use the Axel either. It seems Airstream did us all a disservice by covering the rear jack points with tanks. AAA had no idea how to service when I got a flat last year. For something as simple as tire changes you would think there is an easy answer...
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I should clarify that I am not doing this myself. However, the local tire shop won't touch it bc this is too complex for them. So I'm just trying to get informed abt the right way to do it and understand what others have done. As Titus pointed out, MB manual for 2013 says don't use differential, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. Interestingly the 2012 manual doesn't say not to use the differential. There have been some debates abt this on other threads, but as you point out there is no conclusive answer. I've read in other threads that MB says not to use the Axel either. It seems Airstream did us all a disservice by covering the rear jack points with tanks. AAA had no idea how to service when I got a flat last year. For something as simple as tire changes you would think there is an easy answer...
Ahh, ok, good to hear. I misunderstood . I thought you were going to jack it up yourself. My bad Since you still come to LV, if this can not be sorted in OC and tires still last until you get back here, Ted Wiens (at Blue Diamond Hwy near Arville) is the only place in town that Discount Tire, Goodyear, and Firestone directed me to when I was trying to get the dually metal valve extension. While they had to repeat that couple of times to do it right, at least they knew how/where to jack-up AI. They did not have to use truck lifts. So disheartening to hear that many tire shops here & as you said AAA had no clue how to change tires on these.

List below - recommendations from BORG Industries when I wanted knowledgeable installers for their product that Ted Wiens fumbled on. They knew I was not happy with the redo, even though it all worked out, so they made sure they gave me their best shop listing:

CA - LA DIRECT TIRE CO. INC (818) 503-8690 7227 Lankershim Blvd North Hollywood 91605

CA - LA Allen Tire Company 562-497-0370 7142 Garden Grove Blvd Westminster 92683

CA - N Les Schwab Equipment 925-513-3432 6361 LONE TREE WAY BRENTWOOD 94513

CA - SD Best for Less Tire Pros 951-676-3668 28715 Via Montezuma Temecula 92590

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
I found some photos of rear jack points but it appears to be a 2500 chassis, see if you can use them...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4366.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	312279Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	312280
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I bet that 99% of the tire shops would use the differential to lift both sides at once, even if AS had not made the official jack points difficult to access.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I bet that 99% of the tire shops would use the differential to lift both sides at once, even if AS had not made the official jack points difficult to access.
+1 my guess too
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
I found some photos of rear jack points but it appears to be a 2500 chassis, see if you can use them...Attachment 312279Attachment 312280

I do my own tire changes and that is where I lift it no problem at all. Just make sure to block the front so it can not roll.
Just change over to AT tires for the Alaska Caravan.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
I found some photos of rear jack points but it appears to be a 2500 chassis, see if you can use them...Attachment 312279Attachment 312280

Thanks for posting. I did find another Costco willing to do it. Unfortunately I wasnt present to see where they lifted to use the stands. Are those the leaf spring you are using the block on?
Old 06-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I recommend that everyone know how and where to jack up their own Interstate. Otherwise, you might end up like me, scrambling to learn this information on the fly in emergency circumstances in the middle of nowhere last summer when I had valve stem problems (thread here).

I was present when the first stem spontaneously let go, and I heard the air begin to escape rapidly. I didn't want the entire weight of the vehicle to come down onto a totally flat tire - I was afraid the rim weight would damage the inner tread surface of the tire and then I'd REALLY be screwed. So I got the bottle jack under it enough to prevent a full settling until the problem could be found and fixed.

At the time when this happened, I / we thought that a stem failure was a fluke. Since then, I've read many accounts of it happening. Jacking an Interstate should be a skill in everyone's bag of tricks, IMO.

Fortunately the T1N jack points have not been obscured by the build. Here's what one of the rear ones looks like. That's a red Koni shock and the green Onan generator in the background.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nashville , Tennessee
I have used Discount Tire for rotation and they used the rear axel on each side one at a time based on MB recommendation not to use differential.

While at Jackson Center, I observed that they use the differential.

Who would have known.

Cirrus Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote