Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
..... Like all of our projects, this one is suffering from scope creep as well as cost and schedule overruns.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Like all of our projects, this one is suffering from scope creep as well as cost and schedule overruns.
The image martin300662 posted is a classic that occupied a favored position on our office bulletin board for decades, but this one really drives the point home for me…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
R13 fiberglass? You actually have room anywhere in a Sprinter to put at least 3˝" of fiberglass? The mind boggles. You should know that compressing fiberglass batting reduces its R-value, so it's no longer R13 after you squish it to make it fit.
More or less. Much of the Interstate already appears to have something akin to R13 between the outer shell and the inner aluminum goodness (remember the Sprinter ribs - not 3+ inches deep, but an obligatory gap does exist, and even a reduced R factor is better than none). In snatching up a twelve dollar roll of R13 at Lowes, I was following in kind.

With vehicles as with houses, very often when we happen upon something that was not done that clearly should have been done, there's a discoverable reason for it. The answer to this question "Why would Airstream leave this air gap with no insulation in a vehicle that is chronically known for having climate control issues" appears to be, "The gap is not as uniform as it is in the remainder of the vehicle and therefore it's a p.i.t.a. to insulate and this is the likely reason they skipped over it hoping that nobody would notice that the cab is perpetually on either the broil or the deep freeze setting as a result."

We will try another product (preferred, if we can find one locally that is suitable), or we'll trim the R13 down to only those portions of the roof where we can verify sufficient clearance (for instance, there is enough space in a good-sized area at the top of the cab, as verifiable via the dome light cut-out in the liner). Or both. Not ideal, but I'm hoping it will end up being better than the original nothing.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
More or less. Much of the Interstate already appears to have something akin to R13 between the outer shell and the inner aluminum goodness (remember the Sprinter ribs - not 3+ inches deep, but an obligatory gap does exist, and even a reduced R factor is better than none). In snatching up a twelve dollar roll of R13 at Lowes, I was following in kind.
I stand corrected. There was actually 4.5 inches of space between the cab shell (Sprinter) and the inner OEM (Airstream) liner. In many places, but not everywhere, and that's why the R13 wasn't installing so well.

Layer of Dynamat (ca-CHING) followed by layer of radiant barrier followed by replacement of the liner. We will see how that works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0469.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	232518   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0445.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	232519  

Old 02-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The insulation we used was a self adhesive foil backed foam product used to insulate ductwork. It was listed as an R-3 but I'm hoping that the radiant barrier will make it considerably better than that.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
My husband likes to work methodically and carefully. Speed of project execution of course gives me ample opportunity to introduce scope creep...

Anyway I say that as an explanation for the fact that we now have both side cameras operational, and they do indeed flip to the relevant side of the Interstate as soon as the turn signal is actuated. We don't have the rear camera installed yet (options for its mounting are being methodically evaluated), but I have already road-tested the turn cameras, and they are a godsend. Friday night was my first solo boondock, as I needed to teach a very early class in east Texas on Saturday morning. With no sidekick in the passenger seat, there was no one to shout a confirmatory "clear" for those lightning-fast rush hour scoot-right lane changes as I forged my way through Houston Friday evening. But the camera was even better.

There is one downside to this system, however - they can be surprisingly distracting, much more so than an ordinary "a$$ cam" utilitarian backup camera such as my minivan has. They are capable of seeing so much more than the human eyeball that they sometimes become unexpectedly more entertaining than TV. Some new phenomenon will elicit a spontaneous "What the hell is that?!" reaction from me, as this 20-second YouTube example shows.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I never really updated this thread after I finished the install.

One issue I had was trying to figure out where to mount the rear camera. If I mounted it on the roof, it wouldn't be able to see much behind the vehicle and if I mounted further back by the third brake lights, the flat base would never securely mount on the curved section of the van.

So here is the mounting solution I came up with, using the 3rd brake light for inspiration I had the following 3d printed:

camera:

Base and custom insert:

And all three together:

Next time I have the Interstate out I'll try to take a picture of it mounted on the roof.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's a pic of the rear camera view. This is a crummy cell phone pic so it appears more washed out than the live view.

http://i.imgur.com/HZm7TUu.jpg
Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Old thread, but a user on another forum asked for a close-up of the final rear view camera mount, so here it is.