Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Ramps for AS

I was looking into buying ramps for my Interstate and thought I would seek some advice of those who have them already. I have never used ramps before cause I never had a need for them. I have a small leak in the hose to the macerator pump and a few other things I would like to check out while under there. I saw some on the Harbor Freight website when looking at the creeper and thought they might work. Description says 13,000 lbs capacity for the pair and would lift the vehicle 6 inches. Assuming the height and capacity are ok would I need to buy 3 pair because I have six wheels?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...set-63956.html

orlik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Uh... no way would I do that.

Suspect you have done lots of auto work.. but.. Those are for ONE axle at a time. Front or rear. For dual rear wheels I don’t think you can center on the ramps... which is how the load must be to meet the load rating. If you put a plastic tarp down you can slide under much easier. If you need the whole Side lifted, block the opposite side wheels very well, brake set. Jack rear axle and use proper auto chocks. Repeat for front

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Another forum contributor made a set of ramps from scrap lumber. I duplicated her efforts, but made 2 ramps wide enough for the rear duals. That’s 4 ramps total.
They are heavy, but they do the job.

Also got this for sliding on the ground.

Magic Creeper 51631 Black...from Amazon.

Sorry...link wouldn’t work.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
ORLIK - I agree with CWF. I would not trust any of those ramps on an 11,000 lb machine up on all 4's. I have seen the real heavy duty ones used on semis but they are uber expensive and uber heavy. I like TOSKEYSAM suggestion and just build your own from stacked solid lumber coz no chance of structure collapse. I have it easy coz I use E&P as my "pseudo-ramps" to lift all 4's. But once lifted, I slide solid wood plates or large paver tiles under each tire so the tires are contacting them. And IF my E&P were to collapse, the AI would still be resting on bricks or wood plates. Take no chances.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
My ramps were referenced above, the ones I made out of scrap lumber. It would be a simple task to make one pair of these wide enough for dual wheels.

It's not visible because they are bunched together here, but the sandwich layer of wood is perpendicular to the long pieces, for rigidity.

I've been very happy with these things - they add about 5 inches of clearance. In fact, our van is up on them now, because I spent part of yesterday evening inspecting the entire under-chassis area, rolling around on my cheapie creepie.

Advisory on ABS - because of the staggered two-by-fours, my brakes detest the dismount. They freak out because they interpret the non-smooth descent as losing control. So be mindful of that if you attempt something similar. You can still control the dismount, but your brakes might issue a roaring complaint.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I will be following InterBlog’s ramp build.

Ther are also videos that show how to do this...width will be different for ours to accommodate duallys..

https://youtu.be/Yus8TuAzwbQ
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Glad I asked the forum about this. So many knowledgeable people here. CWF suggested I might have a lot of auto experience and I don't. If I'm going to go forward with this I'll probably do what IB , TOSKEYSAM and ALEX suggested and build the wooden ramps. Seems the safest thing to do. I really appreciate all who responded. Saved me from making what could have been a terrible mistake.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I have three 4X4's whose length is equal to the width of the duals. A 2x4 is nailed across each end, spanning the 3 4x4's and holding them together. I then have a 2x8 that is the length of the 4x4 + 2x4. This makes it a relatively-easy two step rise onto the 4x4's. I have not found a need to taper the edges as shown in post #5. I use a single 2x8 on the front wheels - as I have never found a need to raise he front as much as I've needed to raise the back. I have sets for both sides if needed. But I am usually working on just one side (macerator, or whatever). All scrap lumber or course. Treated lumber because I store and use them outside. I have not noticed the braking issue. I always creep off them at idle speed with my foot on the brake pedal - maybe that's why. I assume ABS can't sense things at that low of speed.

The ramps are only 11 " long (3 4x4's) and thus you have to be careful when going up on them or you risk driving off the back of them. But no damage is done (except to your ego if somebody is watching!) if you do drive off the back and encounter a 3 1/2 " drop.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I have not noticed the braking issue. I always creep off them at idle speed with my foot on the brake pedal - maybe that's why. I assume ABS can't sense things at that low of speed.
TITUS - Not sure what you mean by braking issue? But you are right, most cars, ABS turns off when speeds are below 20KPH. Also ABS only activates when it senses impending wheel lock based on ABS wheel sensor data. If ABS complains at that low speed (that barely registers on the speedo), then something else is not working properly.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
The braking issue I refer to is per InterBlog on post #5.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

q
Quote:
The braking issue I refer to is per InterBlog on post #5.
TITUS - Oh boy, I totally misread that post #5 last paragraph regarding ABS. I thought of ABS plastic in the context of building a ramp comprised of ABS & lumber. And it didn't help my misread with the presence of the ABS plastic creeper in the pic. Talk about power of graphic subliminal persuasion.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
I have three 4X4's whose length is equal to the width of the duals. A 2x4 is nailed across each end, spanning the 3 4x4's and holding them together. I then have a 2x8 that is the length of the 4x4 + 2x4. This makes it a relatively-easy two step rise onto the 4x4's. I have not found a need to taper the edges as shown in post #5. I use a single 2x8 on the front wheels - as I have never found a need to raise he front as much as I've needed to raise the back. I have sets for both sides if needed. But I am usually working on just one side (macerator, or whatever). All scrap lumber or course. Treated lumber because I store and use them outside. I have not noticed the braking issue. I always creep off them at idle speed with my foot on the brake pedal - maybe that's why. I assume ABS can't sense things at that low of speed.

The ramps are only 11 " long (3 4x4's) and thus you have to be careful when going up on them or you risk driving off the back of them. But no damage is done (except to your ego if somebody is watching!) if you do drive off the back and encounter a 3 1/2 " drop.

TITUS - thanks for your detailed response. I like the idea of not having to taper the edges (I have no easy way to do that). I really didn't want to make it too complicated because its not something I'll be doing frequently - at least I hope not. I just need to lift the macerator side a couple of inches so I can see where I have leak and using something fabricated from wood seems to be a very safe and economical alternative to the store bought variety.