Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
When I was at JC just a few weeks ago a parking mate was there with a roof leak on their Interstate as well. They said it was coming from the AC unit as well.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Any idea if they found where it was?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #63

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mount Holly , New Jersey
The leak into the bathroom comes from improper caulking around the outside of the bathroom powered vent. You must remove the excess caulking from on top of the solar panel next to the vent and remove the 2 screws that hold that side of the panel to the roof (There are another 2 screws in the center and 2 on the passenger side. These don't need to be touched for the repair.) This will give you enough room to carefully pry the solar panel up. Take your time. When you get that end of the solar panel loose enough to look under it, you will find the caulk channels the water right into the outside of the vent. Fill those channels with dicor, re-screw the end of the solar panel and caulk (with dicor) as needed. You'll never see another leak from that thing. I had the same problem. Its now fixed.
GT609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine is coming out the A/C inner housing which leads me to believe it's probably coming in the penetration for the A/C unit.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
Old 07-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
My leak in the curbside rear was from the 4" x 4" cover for the awning, TV antenna, and rear camera wiring. JC replaced that cover (twice) and the leak stopped. They also tightened the AC to the roof, but that was not the problem. When tightening the AC they put some silicone sealant (or something from a tube) on the threads to act as loc-tite.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Tigard , Oregon
Having originated this thread I greatly appreciate the responses. It appears the leakage problem we are experiencing is not a "one off", but has a frequency of happening. Being one of the unlucky buyers, the knowledge of those of you who have uncovered the genesis of your problem should be helpful in "directing" AS. If I were buying a new, or used car and found that the CarFax reported showed it had been in a flood, or suffered water damage, I would NEVER buy that vehicle. I now have a $150,000 4 month old "new vehicle", already serviced several times for water leakage that was not fixed. 6 months from now, or 1 year from now, or 2 years from now, if I have components rusting or degrading, or mold don't want to have to hire help to fix this issue. Obviously my issue is not a "one off". These issues AS has seen before. Has anyone with this issue been given extended warranty guarantees? This should not be my problem. This monkey is not mine. This monkey belongs on the back of AS, it is a NEW $150,000 vehicle that leaks into many areas of the interior. I need a warranty to cover ANY issues related to this defect. There are lemon laws, etc., but we bought this for fun, enjoyment, relaxation. The last thing we wanted is to have to deal with this!!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Here's a source list for all leaks I can think of that can occur:

These are:

1. The AC.
2. The small plastic point of entry plate for the coax and awning wires.
3. The mounting holes for the tank vents and the perimeter of the vents itself (two vents) and the bath vent.
4. The holes for mounting the solar panels.
5. The entry point for the cable from the solar panel.
6. The mounting holes for the mounting hardware for the awning.
7. The mounting holes around the cabin vent and the cutout for it as well.
8. The holes for the mounting hardware for the TV antenna.

I also, on occasion, have seen a drip or two from the rear door center area during a downpour. This is a MB issue, not Airstream. Probably poor weatherstripping.

The common areas that leak that I've either personally experienced or heard about is the AC, coax entry plate, and windows.

The AC is basically a rectangle hole in the roof, and the bottom of the AC has a foam, approximately 1" narrow foam adhesive strip that keeps water from entering the hole. The problem is the van's roof is not flat. So in the corner's, they have to add a bit of Sika221 to keep it from leaking where there is not a water tight connection between roof and the AC. In addition, the lower section pulls down on the upper section with four bolts in each corner, and these must be tight. To cure the issue, add Sika221 where needed, and tighten the bolts.

The coax plate is a really bad design. First of all, it's designed for at most two coax cables. Airstream uses it for five cables, one coax and 4 12vdc wires to the awning. It's very difficult to keep water out because the plate is simply not designed for that many wires in the first place, and it is very hard to use enough Sika221 to seal off all the wires in the short distance they enter the plate. It also has about nine or so mounting holes, any one of which can leak. I replaced it with a weatherproof, plastic electrical junction box and water tight connections, with a foundation of Sika221 under and around the base, and on top, and used waterproof liquid tight tubing and connections and then used waterproof electrical mastic tape on the end of that as well to close off the tube. It rained a record amount last week and not a drop came inside.

It was quite a job. If you aren't inclined to do that, then get a tube of Sikaflex221 and apply generously, with particular emphasis on the area where the wires exit the plate. You could also wrap waterproof electrical mastic tape where they exit for several inches.

The AC is cured by tightening the hold down bolts and applying a bit of Sika221 to the ribs where the pad is not flat.

The other areas besides the windows are cured by generous amounts of Sika221.

The two tank vents also can leak because of the use (or correctly, overuse) of power drills that can crack the flat surface that sits on the roof. While these can be covered up with Sikaflex221 (and likely is), because they will flex, leaks could later develop. The only cure for that is replacement (I had one with that issue as well), although it had not leaked).

The only other source of leaks are the windows, which can be installed poorly, not square, or with the gasket out of place. They have to be removed and replaced. They don't use any sealants other than a gasket. I also had a leak in the window as have others (the common one is the sliding door). It took two attempts to repair. The first time the dealer replaced, but it continued to leak. The next time at JC, it was again removed and replaced with a new gasket. Apparently, JC parts had sent the wrong gasket to the dealer.

If you have any leaks, carefully inspect these areas. More than likely, it will be one listed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Mine is coming out the A/C inner housing which leads me to believe it's probably coming in the penetration for the A/C unit.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Here's a source list for all leaks I can think of that can occur:

The OP has a new Interstate, but for any T1N owners following this discussion, add:

9. The sixteen additional holes associated with the roof rack. It is important to check each one of them individually because the roof of the Sprinter doesn't seem to be the best configuration for the rack that was installed. Sometimes a screw penetrates a flat roof area while the one next to it will be screwed into a roof rib. It makes for a rather catywampus final assembly and the height differences between flat area and adjacent rib area causes that leg of the rack to be NOT the flush-mounted installation that you might expect (can't think of a good way to describe this).

FWIW, if Airstream installs its A/C units more or less like MB does, it would be prudent to be on the look-out for leak problems regardless of model year. I took our Interstate to a local MB dealership a while back and there were almost-new Sprinters (ambulances, RVs, law enforcement vehicles, people-movers, etc.) lined up down the service entrance area. I asked, "Why so many in one day?" and the CSR replied, "It rained yesterday. This happens every time we get a good rain following a relatively dry period." He went on to explain that the sealant being used around the A/C mounting area didn't work well in our southern climate.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Here's a non-obvious leak that I had in my '05 Interstate:

Our friends at JC forgot to tighten the clamp around the plastic tube where it connects to the freshwater vent near the gravity fill port. As a consequence, whenever we fully-filled the tank, water would back up into the tube and then leak into the insulation behind the interior wall. Hours later, it would end up on the floor.

Took a while to figure that one out.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I just don't think it is helpful for former Airstream owners (or others) to come on this board and preach about how THOR should do business. It is THOR's business and they can do it however they feel whether it costs them past, present or future customers.
Except that some of us genuinely care about the Airstream brand. We were PROUD to own our Interstate, despite its many issues. We would love to own one again, and it makes us very sad that this currently does not appear to be a rational choice. I don't see why this is not a sentiment worthy of expression.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #71
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Well, they couldn't do much right on the roof of our Classic, it appears not much has changed.

Two weeks after delivery I went on the roof only to find......missing screws and a terrific caulk job.

Glad I caught it in time...

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Except that some of us genuinely care about the Airstream brand. We were PROUD to own our Interstate, despite its many issues. We would love to own one again, and it makes us very sad that this currently does not appear to be a rational choice. I don't see why this is not a sentiment worthy of expression.
I can appreciate that. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were trying to convey.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I can appreciate that. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were trying to convey.
No problem.

What really got to me was when the nice aluminum "A I R S T R E A M" letters that were glued above the windshield of our '05 started falling off one-by-one. Had to have the residue professionally removed before we put it up for sale.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Drove thru a torrential rainstorm this afternoon in the Florida panhandle and with the bathroom vent closed there were no leaks. This was a 25 mph, flashers on, little pig drowning, gully washer rain.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:16 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Our two leaks (4"x4" cable entry cover on the roof and sliding door window) were/are very sensitive to orientation. Roof leak was only wheh the back is slightly up - which it is not when parked in the driveway but is every night we sleep in it. I think the sliding door window is the opposite -leaking with front down. But I am not sure where on the window it leaks. It did not leak in a recent gulley washer and did in a light rain. The spray booth test JC does on the trailers looks impressive, but a similar test on the van (if they do it) would not prove much since the trailers (and vans too?) are level when they get their shower.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
No problem.

What really got to me was when the nice aluminum "A I R S T R E A M" letters that were glued above the windshield of our '05 started falling off one-by-one. Had to have the residue professionally removed before we put it up for sale.
^^ I like it when people post information I can actually use, whether that information is good OR bad. I will keep my eye open for a similar condition developing with our Interstate because I would hate to lose those letters. I never would have thought of this as a possible problem but guess what - I went straight to the newest eBay listing which is a 2004, took a look, and there it is - letters in the process of coming off (screengrab attached). Wow. I would not have noticed this without the comment. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay_letters.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	243242  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Yep. That is exactly what happened to ours. The wind actually caused the metal pieces to start to bend upward. This makes them catch even more air until they finally fly off. Somehow I saw the whole thing as a sad metaphor.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
We've been in near constant rain here the last few days in the Canadian Rockies. Last night I noticed the first sighs of a small leak at bottom of slider door window near the lock button. This is new and likely caused by the constant slamming of the slider door.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
That's pretty much where they always leak. It has nothing to do with slamming the door; more than likely the window is not correctly installed in the first place, or the gasket is not correctly sealing the window.

Been there, done that. Twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
We've been in near constant rain here the last few days in the Canadian Rockies. Last night I noticed the first sighs of a small leak at bottom of slider door window near the lock button. This is new and likely caused by the constant slamming of the slider door.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldforester View Post
Having originated this thread I greatly appreciate the responses. It appears the leakage problem we are experiencing is not a "one off", but has a frequency of happening. Being one of the unlucky buyers, the knowledge of those of you who have uncovered the genesis of your problem should be helpful in "directing" AS. If I were buying a new, or used car and found that the CarFax reported showed it had been in a flood, or suffered water damage, I would NEVER buy that vehicle. I now have a $150,000 4 month old "new vehicle", already serviced several times for water leakage that was not fixed. 6 months from now, or 1 year from now, or 2 years from now, if I have components rusting or degrading, or mold don't want to have to hire help to fix this issue. Obviously my issue is not a "one off". These issues AS has seen before. Has anyone with this issue been given extended warranty guarantees? This should not be my problem. This monkey is not mine. This monkey belongs on the back of AS, it is a NEW $150,000 vehicle that leaks into many areas of the interior. I need a warranty to cover ANY issues related to this defect. There are lemon laws, etc., but we bought this for fun, enjoyment, relaxation. The last thing we wanted is to have to deal with this!!
And what has occurred to resolve your issues, OldForester?

Magigie