Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Question regarding pulling Airstream Bambi with your AI?

I have a question regarding pulling AS Bambi with your AI. When towing your Bambi, does it have a negative impact on the quality of ride in the AI?
Thanks,
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What is an AI?

Keep this in mind when posting
When the kids text me " plz " which is shorter than the word "please", I text back "no" which is shorter than "yes".

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The standard rear springs on an "Airstream Interstate" are very hard and unforgiving for anyone riding in the rear. So I should imagine something hitched to the rear will provide some spring compression and reduce the harshness.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
HowieE. AI is an AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE. No I'm getting shouting, just get excited whenever I talk about my traveling home on wheels.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
DARN AUTO-CORRECT!!!! I'm not shouting, just get excited about my AI.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I have a question regarding pulling AS Bambi with your AI. When towing your Bambi, does it have a negative impact on the quality of ride in the AI?
I've never pulled a Bambi with my Interstate, but common sense says that having a few hundred pounds of tongue weight will provide a dampening effect on rear-end bounce by reducing the amount of up-and-down movement and by slowing the rate of up-and-down movement.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
What is an AI?

Keep this in mind when posting
When the kids text me " plz " which is shorter than the word "please", I text back "no" which is shorter than "yes".
Back when I was still working for the natural gas company and someone would ask me what I did there I would say C.E.O.. To me that stood for construction equipment operator.

We need to use the whole word not just the first letter from each word. Wars have started over such misunderstandings.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
This is the Sprinter and B-van forum part of Airforums. Since the Interstate is one of the two Class Bs (Grand Touring (GT?) is the other) made by Airstream, seems reasonable to use AI in that context. This has been argued ad infinitum previously.

SOB in the this forum context is Some Other Brand. Context is everything.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
I understood the AI and I don't own an Airstream yet.

But I am very interested in towing a small TT like the Bambi ( most likely a 19' ) with an Airstream Interstate.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I have never pulled a Bambi with my AI — as this is the Sprinter and B-Van Forum I assume everyone will know what I mean by AI — but I have towed a Volkswaqen Golf on a tow dolly. Without the "toad" — I assume those on this forum will be familiar with the term "toad" as well — the rear lounge can and easily launch passengers into low earth orbit unless their seatbelt is firmly fastened and even then it is worse than the back seat in a school bus.

With the toad the ride in the rear lounge is very pleasant. I just wish I could find an affordable solution to get the AI to ride like that without the toad.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
With the toad the ride in the rear lounge is very pleasant. I just wish I could find an affordable solution to get the AI to ride like that without the toad.
I know one guy with a Sprinter van— not an Interstate— who fabricated a swing-away hitch-mount for his big propane barbecue grill, and takes it to tailgating parties. The grill makes excellent ballast for the rear end of the van!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
I tow a 17' Caravel and I think the ride is improved...as the others have said it reduces the bouncing and harshness. Makes me think it was designed to tow especially with the duals.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #13

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I know one guy with a Sprinter van— not an Interstate— who fabricated a swing-away hitch-mount for his big propane barbecue grill, and takes it to tailgating parties. The grill makes excellent ballast for the rear end of the van!
I tried a luggage carrier but as far as I could tell loaded or unloaded it made little difference in the ride in back. I don't think ballast is the answer rather it is the inertial drag of the toad which retards and slows the bounce response of the suspension system.

Koni shocks effected a dramatic improvement in handling, especially in crosswinds and buffeting from passing 18 wheelers, but I don't detect any noticeable ride improvement in the back. The ride in the driver, co-driver, and passenger seats is great it is just the ride aft of the rear wheels that is the problem.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I tried a luggage carrier but as far as I could tell loaded or unloaded it made little difference in the ride in back. I don't think ballast is the answer rather it is the inertial drag of the toad which retards and slows the bounce response of the suspension system.
You may be right. My acquaintance with the hitch-mounted grill is not exactly an impartial witness, and may not have done any kind of comparison in before vs. after ride quality in back. He says it helps, but he may not really know if it does or not.