Old 03-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The GZ Tech Specs say:

6mm Port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120 W max)

Not sure how this would be used.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-...power-station/
I wasn't sure if that spec was for the 2 6mm ports in the front Output section, or the one under the lid....or maybe it doesn't matter?

And I agree....what would it be used for? Maybe other GZ gear?

Bits and bobs incoming for my AI/Yeti integration. More info soon....

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
The 6mm output jacks are for their line of LED lanterns (the 12v ones).

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/yeti-a...350-led-light/

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
The 6mm output jacks are for their line of LED lanterns (the 12v ones).

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/yeti-a...350-led-light/
Ah, OK. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
. . . which can also be powered from a standard 12v outlet via an adaptor, for a nice redundancy of equipment!

Thanks for the heads up.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
As mentioned before, GZ has adaptors not shown on their website. They are very concerned about folks staying within the lithium parameters so those adaptors are only available via phone requests.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
As mentioned before, GZ has adaptors not shown on their website. They are very concerned about folks staying within the lithium parameters so those adaptors are only available via phone requests.
Their "new" website now shows them
Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Here?

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/accessories/

Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Yes, although I don't see all of them - like to MC4. Be aware their APP cables are positioned to plug into the GZ equipment - vertical instead of horizonal.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Northern , California
MPPT controller

So, my MPPT charge controller for the Yeti arrived today and I just installed it.

First, the engineers at GoalZero must have little girl hands, because the indents in the side of the controller to put the screws in to secure the controller are way too small for my fingers to fit the screw down in there. I had to use a pair of long needle nose pliers to get the screws into the holes. Don't worry if this makes no sense to you....it will if/when you order this option and go to install it. Just have some needle nose pliers handy....or a small girl, LOL.

Second, I'm surprised it came as quickly as it did. Maybe because I ordered it from a retailer and not directly from GoalZero. On the GZ web site it shows these as being back ordered at least 30 days. I guess they're a popular option!

Last, this controller is definitely more efficient. Just taking my wall charger and plugging it into one of the 8mm ports on the MPPT controller, I was getting 77W in, and if I unplugged it and stuck it into one of the 8mm ports on the left side (i.e. into the PWM controller), it read 65W. Not a huge difference (about 15%), but with 2 AC adapters, that's 30% more juice going in.

Next stop, integration with the AI. All my bits and bobs have arrived, so it's time to drill, cut, and generally create some mayhem....
Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Next stop, integration with the AI. All my bits and bobs have arrived, so it's time to drill, cut, and generally create some mayhem....
Looking forward to the pictures and knowledge to be gained.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Looking forward to the pictures and knowledge to be gained.
Weather gods aren't cooperating, so this may be delayed a bit. My coach is parked outside and I need the rear doors open to do the work, but mother nature is watering the countryside so no progress today.....
Old 03-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
So, can you share the plan with us? I too am very interested in your approach as I am thinking the goal zero has the potential to be an efficient and effective way to address our limited AI boondocking needs providing more capability without executing all the more complex and more expensive alternatives. Thanks for starting the thread.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
So, can you share the plan with us? I too am very interested in your approach as I am thinking the goal zero has the potential to be an efficient and effective way to address our limited AI boondocking needs providing more capability without executing all the more complex and more expensive alternatives. Thanks for starting the thread.
Sure, just be aware that this is a work in progress and may not work out as I envision so it may need "tweaking" as I learn more. Getting details on how GZ built their inputs and outputs is hard to come by, so I'm having to infer a lot from how it's configured and being used.

With that, my idea is pretty simple. I'm going to install a PowerPole connector in the back of my van (along with a 12v cigarette outlet). The PowerPole connector and wiring will be sized to handle 30A (so 30A PP connectors and 12GA wiring), and the "business end" will be across the house battery side of the BIM, basically putting the Yeti in parallel with the house AGMs.

When I want to have the Yeti supply power to the coach, I'll connect the Yeti APP output to my new APP connector and turn it on. Since lithiums operate at a higher output voltage than AGMs, what I'm hoping to see is the Yeti will basically supply a charge voltage to the house batteries. I can't get anyone at GZ to tell me if the APP output on the Yeti is current limited, so when I test it I'm going to fuse it at 10A since that's the rated output of the APP port. My guess is the resistance of the AGMs will be high enough to keep the output current at a reasonable level, but we'll see how that theory holds up in reality. I'm guessing this is how GZ intends to support chaining AGM's per their comments on their web site (similar to what the Inergy Kodiak does), but we'll have to wait a few months to know for sure.

Now the fun part....charging. I plan to just move the APP cable from the Yeti's APP Output to the APP input on the MPPT controller that I added. When I test this, I'll swap the fuse out for a 30A since that's the rated input current and see how it goes. The built-in charge controller already knows how to charge the Yeti lithium cells, so all the coach needs to provide is a voltage source above 14v. Well....as fortune would have it, the output voltage of the alternator is regulated at 14.2v, so as long as the Yeti doesn't get too current hungry and pop the fuse, I should be able to run the engine and charge the Yeti (again, I don't know how GZ built this input so I don't know if it's current limited....the fuse will be there to protect the Yeti's electronics just in case). The fly in the chardonnay is the BIM, and since I'll be hanging on the house side of it, it may not want to close thanks to it's wonky "logic" so I may have to run the batteries down a bit to give it a test. This annoyance will go away when I replace the BIM with something more reasonable like the Blue Sea ACR.

So....there it is. Pretty simple. A new APP port in the back of the van, a bit of wire to/from the BIM through some new conduit, and a new cable that will go between the Yeti and the van w/ APP on both ends. Of course it may not work like I expect, and if that's the case I'll have to go to plan B and use something like a current limited DC/DC converter on one side or the other (or both). I thought about using one of the Sterling products, but they're overkill for what I need. The Yeti already has a Lithium charge controller built in, so I don't want or need another one (or have to pay for one!). A DC/DC converter is pretty cheap, and should do the job. Finding one pre-made with the input/output characteristics I'm looking for may be a chore though, so if it comes to it, I guess I could always dust off my engineering degree and make one (that's programmable, via Bluetooth, from my phone....but nothing fancy.... ).
Old 03-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Are you sure the Yeti MPPT charge controller performs output via APP ? It is my understanding all APP connections are for input charging only....
Old 03-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Are you sure the Yeti MPPT charge controller performs output via APP ? It is my understanding all APP connections are for input charging only....
Input only. I may have done a poor job of explaining it.....

Short version: Wires from van will be connected to APP output on the left side of the Yeti when I want the Yeti to supply power to the AI. Wires from van will be connected to APP MPPT input on the upper right side of the Yeti when I want the AI to charge the Yeti.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quick update:

Still haven't finished the integration project, but I did just take my Yeti on its first real outing this past week. I have to say, I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with, the energy density of the battery or the performance of the inverter. At 1500W continuous with a 3000W surge, it's a beast!! The onboard 1000W inverter is a weakling in comparison. Case in point, I can easily use the Yeti to run my 1100W coffee maker and not disturb the neighbors or the wildlife by having to turn on the propane genset. The onboard batteries/inverter won't run it because the inverter shuts off due to the load when the boiler kicks on. Pretty impressive that a 45lb device can outperform a system weighing over 3x as much.....
Old 04-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Quick update:

Still haven't finished the integration project, but I did just take my Yeti on its first real outing this past week. I have to say, I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with, the energy density of the battery or the performance of the inverter. At 1500W continuous with a 3000W surge, it's a beast!! The onboard 1000W inverter is a weakling in comparison. Case in point, I can easily use the Yeti to run my 1100W coffee maker and not disturb the neighbors or the wildlife by having to turn on the propane genset. The onboard batteries/inverter won't run it because the inverter shuts off due to the load when the boiler kicks on. Pretty impressive that a 45lb device can outperform a system weighing over 3x as much.....

Bravo!
I discovered that with mine, with it providing power to the coach through the second transfer switch, the coach sees it like shore power ... the hot water heater was turned on and was pulling almost 1500W with nothing else running. It was a wakeup call that I need to remember to not do this... I need to heat my shower water with propane to preserve the Yeti's reserves. Glad to hear you are enjoying your alternative power source !
Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good reports, thanks! We are looking forward to getting the 1000. The small lithium batteries we have for the Milwaukee M12 tool line also have impressive endurance, including powering a portable USB charger device, flashlights, and so forth. Ditto on the lithium battery jump starter. An amazing technology.

Peter
Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I discovered that with mine, with it providing power to the coach through the second transfer switch, the coach sees it like shore power ... the hot water heater was turned on and was pulling almost 1500W with nothing else running. It was a wakeup call that I need to remember to not do this... I need to heat my shower water with propane to preserve the Yeti's reserves.
LOL!

Yeah, converting electricity into heat is probably the least efficient way of doing it, so it's nice to have the option of using the propane. Between the water heater and the furnace, it's the only reason why I can still see a need for propane on our coaches (I'm really not a fan of the generator). Of course, if I had my way, I'd have a diesel setup and remove the propane altogether......

Thanks much for your info/reports on your Yeti. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first about the benefits of adding one of these to my coach setup, and if it weren't for the deal I got I likely wouldn't have done it, but after using it on just one trip, I think they should include one of these things with every coach they sell! It's one of those additions where, as time goes on, I'm finding more and more uses for it and I can see it becoming a "how the heck did I survive WITHOUT this thing" kind of purchase. Is it necessary? Heck no. Is it crazy convenient? Yup!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
How are you recharging this? What works best?

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote