Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Asbury Park , New Jersey
Question: Black Interstate or Silver Interstate?

And why do you say so?
Bambino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Black:

Pro: Looks great
Con: Impossible to keep clean
Con: Heats up like the surface of the sun

Silver:

Pro: Easy to keep clean
Pro: Cooler in sun

Con: Doesn't look as good as black

Any questions?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Neither

I'm all about the white ones

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Silver is a close as you can get to looking like an aluminum Airstream!
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Good question!! I bought my black one used and it was a great deal. However, if I were to order one, I would order silver because of the upkeep.

But it sure looks great when freshly washed. Evidently it also has an intimidating look as a friend we visited while in Florida a couple weeks ago said it looks like a SWAT team should be exiting it any second!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I have a silver Airstream Interstate and a black Lexus. The AI ALWAYS looks cleaner and it lives outside!
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino1 View Post
And why do you say so?

I think Airstreams should be silver. I want to imagine it's a riveted airplane not a SWAT vehicle.

Black is a great color for large sedans.

Not a fan of white, to me white makes me think or rental cars and fleet vehicles. Some people love it.

If I ran Airstream, they'd only come in silver. It's a brand thing.

Probably a good reason I don't.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Black cause it's bad ass going down the road..😜
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I have silver and it sits outside and it stays relatively clean unless we get a red rain coming up out of Oklahoma.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
They both look great. The windows blend with the black and looks really cool.

The wheels look really tiny because the tires blend with the body on black, with silver the wheels look bigger because the black tires contrasts the silver.

I chose silver because the black would be hotter, harder to keep clean and I hate seeing the orange peel in the paint.

I also figured the black would draw unwanted attention and it does. When we were in Louisiana with my neighbors in their black Interstate we were virtually invisible at gas stations and restaurants while they attracted all the not so good attention. I am glad to just blend in as much as possible.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I have black and its park outside since April last year and its still cleaner than my black Honda van that I park inside the garage. Wash it twice and the last wash I gave it 3 coat of Meguire wax that took me almost 2 days to finish or maybe I don't drive it enough to get it dirtylol:

Black Interstates look nice to me and it stands out more in my opinion. I don't think its hard to keep clean, but one thing bad about the color black is the heat. I don't know if its just me, but when summer is here both AC can't keep the inside cool enough.
Dungrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have white because sunlight in the Gulf Coast states can be brutal on any other color. My toad is white as well, and every vehicle I've owned since the early 1990s has been white.

In the event of needing touch-up painting or body work, white is also the least expensive color to repaint.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
White or silver because I live and do most of my traveling in hot southern climes. I have a black VW GTI and silver AI and when both are sitting in the sun the GTI is at least 10° warmer inside. Great on a cold winter day, but murder when outside temperatures are in the 100+ range. I have to wear gloves to protect my hands from getting burned when I get into the VW on a hot summer day — and that is with the sunroof open to vent the superheated air.

As to the appearance of cleanliness I think it is close to a draw. The black VW GTI shows one kind of dirt and the silver AI another. However, I have to give the black AI the edge for being dramatically sexy looking.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
For me living in the southwest, it was a choice between white and silver. But looking at the new silver models on the dealer's lot, in the sunlight I could clearly see the paint texture difference between the metal panels and the glass fiber add-ons from Airstream. I don't see that on the white models.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The silver paint on my Sprinter is very smooth (no orange peel) but the plastic Airstream add-ons, while they looked good for the first year, they now have a streakiness look like someone lightly wire-brushed them. It started on the sides and now it is starting to show up on the plastic bumper cover. Several others have reported this in the past. Not sure if it is endemic to silver or not.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
My last choice would be black, my first choice silver (my silver car does not show how dirty it really is). My guy loves black. The best deal for us came in black.... He is very happy & he can wash it.... a lot. It shows EVERTHING!!!! But when it's clean.... beatiful.
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
I just purchased a Silver one and this is how I saw it:

Silver keeps cool, reminds me of airstream, easier to keep clean and looks sleek
White keeps cool but reminds me of an ambulance
Black is beautiful but too hot for summer
k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Anything but black. I've had black Harley's, dirt etc drove me nuts. Had a black Cobra Mustang, also drove me nuts. Truck is sliver, wife's four runner is silver and AS is silver. Easiest color to keep clean.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
White or silver to be cooler and blend in. Like someone said, standing out can be a real problem in some areas. I'd rather blend in, look like an ambulance, etc.
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #20
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Black. Tough to keep clean. But when I had it real shiny in Truckee CA last year some folks at the campground asked me if I was a "rock star". My round Ray Bans, black hat and black tee shirt must have tipped them off. I just shrugged (like a rock star) and tucked my pony tail back up under my hat.
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote