Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
...I couldn't go back to driving a regular car for road trips I'm way too spoiled now.. 😁
I don't even want to drive 25 miles to downtown Houston without mine. Why give up all the conveniences?

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I don't even want to drive 25 miles to downtown Houston without mine. Why give up all the conveniences?

So true!! 😀

Ours was in for service a while back and we had to take our daily driver on a short trip ( only an hour a way) and it felt like we took a horse and buggy on a cross country trip.. Just not the same road trip without the Interstate..

Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
I am on my first long trip after a few short camping trips in Wisconsin. The Interstate is a driving dream...handles better than my car. Because my wife talked me into the air suspension, I don't seem to have a problem with side wind...even took a nap on the lounge while my wife drove on the interstate. There is only the two of us and the english lab, so I can not comment on space utilization with others on-board. 1200 mi so far on this trip.
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I am 73 and have loved to travel all my life. I think you are in for a wonderful trip and I think you will find the Interstate to be just great. As far as the trip I have found that the more planning I do the better the trip, as far as roads I think that your rig and handle any road that leads to where you want to go. Hwy 50 will take you on some wonderful country, but be sure to drop down to Mesa Verde. The Tetons are a must. When my children were your age I rented a cabin at the Game Lodge in Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. They loved the trails and "tourist traps".

Have a great trip, you should have memories for a lifetime.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
2009 22' Interstate
Fairmont , West Virginia
My wife and I had never driven anything like an Interstate. We found one in the northwest, flew there over Thanksgiving and drove it back to West Virginia, (3000 miles). There were 3 of us and we were comfortable and would do it again tomorrow if we had time. Ours is a 2009 and the rear does ride the rear of a school bus.
DougWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
Purchase and Use Advice

Free opinions from everyone - and all reflect our perspective and expectations.

Your trip will be enhanced with an Interstate vs a mini-van or suburban. We've towed a trailer which carries bikes and gear, and the kids and dogs have enjoyed camping in the trailer when they aren't sleeping in the tent. Gives mom and dad a break from kids and kids a break from mom and dad. You're "together" but not on top of each other.

Rear ride - geez, do you remember your dad asking if the ride was back in your family's 1969 Country Squire station wagon? Ok, I'm dating myself. We've owned a 2014.5, and now own a 2016 nine passenger ext. The ride is fine and only under more scrutiny now because of the new air suspension's availability.

For extra safety features, and possible resale reasons, I'd purchase a 2014.5 or newer. Easy for you to resell next year if you choose. Inter blog will tell you to get a 2010 and upfit it, someone else will tell you to buy a 1983 and polish it (I'm making that up) because we all have a different perspective. Our family bought a new 2014.5 in 2014, put 26,000 hauling kids around North America touching everywhere from our home in Jackson Hole, back home to New Hampshire, Baja, Banff, Quebec, Charleston, and finally to our new home in Bend, OR. We sold it for $11,126 less than we paid for it, nine months later. Several people interested in buying it because of the additional new features of the 2014.5 model, including the new MB chassis and multiple air bags.

So - buy what you can afford, or justify, and just know this huge Suburban will carry your family safely anywhere. It'll offer a potty, change of clothes, shower, and an adventure platform unlike any other. And you're likely going to be able to deduct interest payments on the AI if you choose to finance and qualify it as a second home.

Not to mention, it's the perfect place to catch a nap in between those soccer, lacrosse, skating or other tournaments.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456545576.441413.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	257897

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456545788.332105.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	257898Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456545960.616858.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	257899

Black/Black Interstate lounge - 9 Passenger (6x6)
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #21
Trying to Retire
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Agreed! Replaced my suburban and no more potty stops! Only pull in when the RV needs to! Cost is about 3 X a nice suburban or truck and offers 10 X the convenience. I parallel park on streets and back into spaces at restaurants (overhang the grass).

Have to say I can't think of any place I wished I was in a smaller vehicle, but have been dozens of times I was glad I had the beast!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you work until you have everything you 'WANT' - it will probably be too late to enjoy it.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I can't agree enough that these are the greatest vehicles.

I feel we don't use it enough. Some weekends when we don't have a trip, like tomorrow, I'll bring it home just to use it around town for the weekend.

And I have to say, given the option of having anything in its price range, be it a sport car or boat or whatever, I'll always choose the interstate. I have owned all types and can honestly say that my interstate comes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Rohnert Park , California
No matter what kind of vehicle you choose, your kids will cherish the time you spend together. When I was small (back when the original Mickey Mouse Club was on), we usually tent camped using the family car but sometimes we had rented VW Westfalias, pop-up trailers or a full-sized van. Yes, a lot of the time it was uncomforatable but we learned to get along. I remember being hot and being cold but the memories I cherish are of the time we spent together, the people we met along the way, and how amazingly beautiful this country is.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Belvedere , California
Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. We are going for it!! Been looking a a bunch of different rigs, and we have settled on a 4x4 interstate, so we can use it for our bi-weekly ski trips to Tahoe (which is anywhere from 4 to 6 hours depending upon weather) after our summer trip is done. I believe the extra $ is worth it for extra usage. Will post some pics!

mdf is offline   Reply With Quote