Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Boxite - You make a lot of good points but I have to interject something that I think is a common thread to everyone's bitch session. People do indeed vote with their feet and several states are now worse off because of the poor policies and management of that state's government.

State and local governments are typically run by people with little knowledge or moral conviction on how best to spend other people's money. I often say govt never met a bad idea they didn't like. Many, not all, of these governments will get away with whatever scheme they can until they can't. So yes, vote by all means.

I've seen so much waste fraud and abuse to make me sick. It drives up the cost of living in ways that are NOT required to have nice parks and nice roads. For every bad road there are several govt workers with the best benefits you can imagine and govt retirees living the good life at age 55 or 60, sometimes in far off nicer locales, that the rest of us have to work til we drop to pay for their lifestyles instead of getting the good roads etc.

I'm not talking about fire and police... I'm talking the office worker whose job wasn't even necessary, because the person above them wanted to take it easy and have assistants so they can just attend meetings to justify their sorry a$$es. Empire builders. People who have no clue what true productivity is. End of rant. Thanks for listening.

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, in California if you live and/or work in California for ten days or more, you have to change all of your licenses. The cops have been known to go to company parking lots looking for out of state plates. If your car is in a company parking lot, you work there.
I found this to be a little absurd so I looked it up... "Somebody moving to California from out-of-state has 10 days after establishing residency to get a California driver license and 20 days to register his or her vehicle." Think about it, it makes sense, and likely all the other states share similar rules. So real visitors have nothing to be concerned about.

I recall this got news some years ago when the certain wealthy people we're discovered registering their exotic high end super cars, airplanes, multi million dollar yachts in other states while keeping them in state and keeping residency in mansions on Balboa Island, Bel-Air, San Francisco, etc. I suspect this is what goosed enforcement of the law.

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #87
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
multi million dollar yachts in other states while keeping them in state
The super wealthy, who can most afford to pay the fees & taxes, not only register their super yachts in other states, most actually register it & have it flagged out of a different country.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
North Carolina too and they always over value but you can talk them down with a few pics and high mileage. Waiting to see what my taxes are on my salvage title 68 Overlander.
Dkemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Boxite - You make a lot of good points but I have to interject something that I think is a common thread to everyone's bitch session. People do indeed vote with their feet and several states are now worse off because of the poor policies and management of that state's government.

State and local governments are typically run by people with little knowledge or moral conviction on how best to spend other people's money. I often say govt never met a bad idea they didn't like. Many, not all, of these governments will get away with whatever scheme they can until they can't. So yes, vote by all means.

I've seen so much waste fraud and abuse to make me sick. It drives up the cost of living in ways that are NOT required to have nice parks and nice roads. For every bad road there are several govt workers with the best benefits you can imagine and govt retirees living the good life at age 55 or 60, sometimes in far off nicer locales, that the rest of us have to work til we drop to pay for their lifestyles instead of getting the good roads etc.

I'm not talking about fire and police... I'm talking the office worker whose job wasn't even necessary, because the person above them wanted to take it easy and have assistants so they can just attend meetings to justify their sorry a$$es. Empire builders. People who have no clue what true productivity is. End of rant. Thanks for listening.
Tronadora, You're not paying for some retired gov't workers nice lifestyle. THEY paid for it, UP FRONT when they accepted a job with lower pay than what they'd have made doing similar work for private employers... under penalty of state and/or federal prosecution if they did anything at all suspicious. The people who "run" state and local gov'ts usually had required qualifications simply to apply for that job...which others learn at their employer's expense... and who are you to denounce their "moral convictions"? That's a wide brush you're painting people you've never met.

I've worked 40+ years in private/corporate world and in the middle spent 10 years working for state gov't. I once was just as suspicious as yourself... until I was hired by state gov't and found myself amidst some of the most talented and devoted... and smart... employees found anywhere out in the private sector. What's more, these folks did not make the money they could have made elsewhere but they'd become devoted to their jobs.... something all us tax-payers should admire in them.

Next time anyone blindly criticizes govt employees... I suggest they GO to work there... and see what the environment REALLY IS.... before considering oneself qualified to remark on someones talents or moral convictions. The average gov't employee is NOT a politician influenced by lobby-money. They are the police, fire-fighters, lawyers, clerks, sec'ys, janitors, etc etc etc that are taking care of business. YOUR business.

Thank you for consideration.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Boxite - thanks for sticking up for what I'll assume are a majority of govt workers. It was important to hear your viewpoints. As a reminder, I did say "Many, not all... ".

At the state and local level (where they can't print money) a govt job can't be paid except from the taxes collected from the private sector and the public sector taxpayers as well. So everyone together pays for all of the public sector obligations (again, state and local), and doubly so in some states where the govt worker puts aside a portion of their earnings for retirement and the rest is provided for through past and future taxes paid for by ALL of us. I think govt wage increases have done a lot in the last 20 years to catch up, and often surpass, what they could have earned in the private sector. Productivity is another subject altogether but I won't get into that.

To be fair, I've seen Empire Builders in the private sector as well. But they usually get discovered and dispatched, unless they are the business owner's favorite whatever, or have layers of advocates above them watching their backs. There are SOME govt workers that are protected from the same level of scrutiny and punishment. I've seen many instances of very costly screwups and misguided expenditures where no one loses their job. I know a few employees at the City, County and Federal levels and have heard their stories so some of my viewpoint is derived from their experiences.

That being said, I accept your input and observations as valid. I didn't mean to offend or over-generalize.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Agree on the “not comparing apples to apples” aspect of many comments. Missouri has reasonable annual Realestate taxes, depending on what county you are in. But, we also pay a state income tax, and personal property taxes on boats, all trailers, vehicles, etc every year. They get you one way or another. Look at population trends. Some states are growing, others are losing population. Lots of that is climate and jobs, but some is taxation. Illinois, our neighbor to the east is losing more population than Missouri. Although I think both are losing. I think part of Illinois problem is in taxation. It would definitely cost me more overall to live there. Yet their roads are no better. Much of their tax problem is with unfunded or underfunded government employee retirement funds. They have a sweet deal for sure.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #92
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Geez, are we still talking about Airstreams? Please don't tell me this is just another site for all the hot air know it alls who have a bug up their butt. I just want to get my ride fixed and some advice......not a lecture on politics and taxes.
Attached Files
Dkemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I think part of Illinois problem is in taxation. It would definitely cost me more overall to live there. Yet their roads are no better. Much of their tax problem is with unfunded or underfunded government employee retirement funds. They have a sweet deal for sure.
Illinois problem is taxes and politics, probably equally.

Had the State not borrowed (stole) from pension funds, and given themselves holidays from making their required payments, the pension system wouldnít be in the mess it is in.

State Workers have no choice but for their share to be automatically deducted from every paycheck, but the State went through a period of skipping theirs, and never paid it back.

Then, thereís the rules pushed thru allowing favored political cronies to retire from one well paying job, with their hefty pension, then work a day or other brief period of time at another, drawing another. And, there are others.

Lots of sweetheart deals in Illinois, and thatís at the root of the financial problems.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkemom View Post
Geez, are we still talking about Airstreams? Please don't tell me this is just another site for all the hot air know it alls who have a bug up their butt. I just want to get my ride fixed and some advice......not a lecture on politics and taxes.
DKEMOM - Cool your jets a little, will you? If you read the OP title, it was an inquiry about taxes on the Airstream. That is a perfectly legit question for those new to rv world. And since taxes are tied to local or national government, naturally some tangential discussion will evolve or devolve from it. Ok, I will give you that, you made a valid point. But that happens in every forum. That does not mean all these people have a "bug up their butt". I read the discussions and yes, I do agree some have taken a much wider detour off the original track than I would care to participate in. So I just don"t participate in the discussion. Move on. But I won't rudely criticize & dismiss them as you have. You have not been here long enough to make a conclusion about the value of this forum and the advice that are helpful to me/us that have been freely provided by the same folks you describe as "hot air know it alls". A lot of these folks could very well help you later. <end rant>
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ignoring threads is very effective, they donít even show up on your page.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Ignoring threads is very effective, they donít even show up on your page.

Maggie
MAGGIE - Yeah, I know, I agree. I should've just ignored his/her comment But I just could not ignore it. A newbie, here to get help, no contribution to help forum members yet, and already brazen enough to bash the forum. Very un-couth.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is usually no beef when one shares their personnel experiences (both good and bad) and either ask for help, clarification or share what they did to remedy the issue.

The unfortunate problem often arises, that the experience related results in others suddenly deciding that is an excellent idea as well and suddenly a magic drain hole appears in their bank balance.

I have learned about possible trouble spots in my Airstreams, better ways to fix things, and great places to visit. This forum is my goto place for most things related to Airstreams.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Boxite - thanks for sticking up for what I'll assume are a majority of govt workers. It was important to hear your viewpoints. As a reminder, I did say "Many, not all... ".

At the state and local level (where they can't print money) a govt job can't be paid except from the taxes collected from the private sector and the public sector taxpayers as well. So everyone together pays for all of the public sector obligations (again, state and local), and doubly so in some states where the govt worker puts aside a portion of their earnings for retirement and the rest is provided for through past and future taxes paid for by ALL of us. I think govt wage increases have done a lot in the last 20 years to catch up, and often surpass, what they could have earned in the private sector. Productivity is another subject altogether but I won't get into that.

To be fair, I've seen Empire Builders in the private sector as well. But they usually get discovered and dispatched, unless they are the business owner's favorite whatever, or have layers of advocates above them watching their backs. There are SOME govt workers that are protected from the same level of scrutiny and punishment. I've seen many instances of very costly screwups and misguided expenditures where no one loses their job. I know a few employees at the City, County and Federal levels and have heard their stories so some of my viewpoint is derived from their experiences.

That being said, I accept your input and observations as valid. I didn't mean to offend or over-generalize.

It's unusual to see a "political" discussion on this forum ..! those paying attention, know there are billions upon billions in unfunded pension liability debt. My father-in-law retired at around 53 from his job working in the LA city, he's now 88, and worked for fewer years than he's spent in retirement. The old spin that city workers make less than comparable private-sector workers is just a myth .. in Cali, CHP used to retire at 50 on 90%+ pensions for life. After many years of outrage, they now have to work to 55, poor things and most will collect millions in pension & health benefits. My sister in law works for a local college. Her healthcare is almost 100% free, includes her family with zero deductibles. Anyway we get the picture .. !
The only people who defend the unsustainable cost of these benefits are those on the receiving end.. ! Cities, counties, and states know of the coming debt tsunami, their only option is tax tax tax ... while leaving streets and schools to rot.

nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote