Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Amg
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Propane pressure relief valve problem

While filling up my tank today noticed the pressure relief valve was not working. I could turn knob to open or close valve but it did not function. I was able to fill tank because it has an automatic shutoff when fill. Does anybody have an easy fix or should I take it back to dealer. Thanks

Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Propane pressure relief valve problem

Are you talking about the small brass bleed valve next to the large fill port on the fill panel behind the curbside rear wheels?

That valve is also known as the fixed maximum liquid level gauge.

This valve is designed to indicate tank if full when a mist of propane comes out of open valve. Your tank may have reached OPD (Overfill Prevention Device) shutoff before propane escaped from the bleed valve.

See this linked document for details. The RV ASME tank procedure starts on page 49.
http://www.propanecouncil.org/upload...g%20Manual.pdf

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Amg
2 Rivet Member

Boxster.

Thanks for help. Yes it is the brass bleeder valve. Valve turns to open and close but nothing comes out regardless of how full or empty tank is. I called dealer and he said when opened a mist will come out and when tank full it will be liquid. He said it is a common problem for line to become clogged by a washer type part inside the valve. He said run the tank to empty and then he will repair it. Will keep everyone advised. Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
Boxster.

Thanks for help. Yes it is the brass bleeder valve. Valve turns to open and close but nothing comes out regardless of how full or empty tank is. I called dealer and he said when opened a mist will come out and when tank full it will be liquid. He said it is a common problem for line to become clogged by a washer type part inside the valve. He said run the tank to empty and then he will repair it. Will keep everyone advised. Thanks
OK - good to know and do let us know how this ends when you get it fixed.

- - Mike
Old 05-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
A few years ago early in my RV adoption phase, I took my Interstate to have the propane filled not really knowing how it was done. Unfortunately the lowest employee on the pay scale (just started several days before) was asked to do the filling. He hooked up the nozzle and let her rip not knowing there was a pressure relief valve that should be opened ((all propane turned off, and no active burners). All of a sudden a loud NOISE and PROPANE MIST , activated LOUD propane alarm and high pressure exhaust noise. Totally blew a hole in the line going to tank, there is a back pressure valve on the tank, so no propane escape from it. It took several weeks to find AIRSTREAM no longer stocked the part and have one fabricated. Talk about learning under "fire" , I will never forget that lesson and neither will the employee who now is the Service Writer at that RV shop and goes out of his way to help me .
We all learn a little more everyday and thanks to this FORUM I've learned more than a little.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Amg
2 Rivet Member

I do know that my 2016 Interstate has a built in auto stop when the tank reaches I believe 80% capacity. I was able to fill my tank even though the pressure relief valve was not working and it did shut off the filling at 80%. I just do not want to solely rely on the auto stop to work and want the added protection of a working relief valve. Propane is just too dangerous to not have every safeguard working.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
A few years ago early in my RV adoption phase, I took my Interstate to have the propane filled not really knowing how it was done. Unfortunately the lowest employee on the pay scale (just started several days before) was asked to do the filling. He hooked up the nozzle and let her rip not knowing there was a pressure relief valve that should be opened ((all propane turned off, and no active burners). All of a sudden a loud NOISE and PROPANE MIST , activated LOUD propane alarm and high pressure exhaust noise. Totally blew a hole in the line going to tank, there is a back pressure valve on the tank, so no propane escape from it. It took several weeks to find AIRSTREAM no longer stocked the part and have one fabricated. Talk about learning under "fire" , I will never forget that lesson and neither will the employee who now is the Service Writer at that RV shop and goes out of his way to help me .
We all learn a little more everyday and thanks to this FORUM I've learned more than a little.
I've had them trigger blow-by, if that's what you're referring to. Not a mist but a jet stream of escaping propane pressure.

On this issue generally, it has become my practice to strongly warn the attendant that he's only going to get in 3 or 4 or 5 gallons (T1N Interstates have a 6-ish gallon tank). They don't realize how small the tanks are on these rigs, so they expect to be filling much more. When no more goes in, they tend to want to force the issue.

Also on that note, watch for places that have minimum fill charges. Sometimes they'll want fifteen bucks just for topping you off two gallons. I've had my best luck with our local U-Haul rental place as they charge by the gallon with no minimum purchase.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
.....I've had my best luck with our local U-Haul rental place as they charge by the gallon with no minimum purchase.
I've also found the U-Haul places are good. They fill a lot of tanks so their staff seems to be knowledgeable. However the one near me is in the city - their parking lot is so small and busy I have trouble getting in there with my 24 foot Interstate. I found a local propane distributor just down the road and use them now when filling near home. The last time I was there I had to wait for an 18-wheeler tanker making a delivery.