Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Waynesville , North Carolina
Exclamation Propane Detector/Leak

My wife and I spent a few hours in our new Grand Tour today and noticed a light gas smell in the drawers under the cooktop. The light is blinking RED on the detector near the floor, so my guess is there is a small leak somewhere.

I turned off the gas with the remote disconnect switch near the tank.

Is this something I can do or should I take it to a service tech?

thanks in advance for your response.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I would definitely take it in and let the professionals find and fix the leak. While it's probably one of the connections to the range, why take a chance?

Surprised the alarm doesn't have some kind of obnoxious audible sound warning.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Waynesville , North Carolina
I agree... who knows... maybe not bad enough to make the audible alarm sound? Not sure, but will take it in to get it checked. Frustrating to buy such a nice rig and have stuff like this happen.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarreau View Post
The light is blinking RED on the detector near the floor, so my guess is there is a small leak somewhere.
Just in case the blinking red light is a fault code, press and hold the test button to reset the detector. Then turn the propane back on to see if the problem returns.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't know what year your unit was manufactured in, but I've heard that propane detectors have a limited lifespan and need to be replaced every 4-5 years (really not sure, Overlander63/Lewster?). If it's NOT making noise and you smell propane... then you probably have 2 problems.

Fittings CAN come loose with vibration from ordinary driving use, so having a leak at the stovetop isn't impossible. Almost anything is doable by an owner who can read and follow directions, has patience... and is willing to make 7 trips to the hardware store to complete a 10 minute project. So if you feel up to attacking the issue(s), why not?

BTW, I have a propane supply company nearby that fixes and installs home appliances... and they don't mind working on RV's either. Less expensive than an RV tech too, but call and check if they do that kind of work and if they have good access for you to bring your unit to them (most do - they run their big delivery trucks after all.) Also an interstate might be more of a challenge than a trailer to someone used to working on home appliances.

Paula
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Fittings CAN come loose with vibration from ordinary driving use, so having a leak at the stovetop isn't impossible. ...

Paula
^^ This is true. We had a water leak develop recently for that reason. No failure of any component - just a fitting that needed to be tightened.

If I were the OP, I'd make a go at the accessible line areas with a good old fashioned squirt bottle of soapy water. Even if the rig is fully covered under warranty, I'd want to personally locate the problem area and test it before and after the fix. A couple of months ago, we had a propane leak at our LP tank and we located the source with soapy water in about five seconds of effort.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It's a brand new rig. Why take the chance?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarreau View Post
My wife and I spent a few hours in our new Grand Tour today and noticed a light gas smell in the drawers under the cooktop. The light is blinking RED on the detector near the floor, so my guess is there is a small leak somewhere.

I turned off the gas with the remote disconnect switch near the tank.

Is this something I can do or should I take it to a service tech?

thanks in advance for your response.
When I took delivery of my new Interstate in 2011, it didn't take long to smell propane near the stovetop in the cabinet underneath. All it took to fix it was to tighten the compression fitting to the tube on the stove. It just was not tight enough. Haven't had a problem since. My guess that's the problem on yours.