Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Propane and elevation questions

So, we've made our way to Denver from NJ, by way of a reverse check mark down to Chattanooga TN, up through St Louis and across Kansas.

Checking my levels today and propane now has all
Lights on, where previously it never showed more than 2/3, which according to my dealer is all it will show due to the legal volume that a propane supplier can put in.

Is this just due to pressure differentials at the higher elevations? What if I go higher, is that going to be a problem? Is there something I'm supposed to do at higher elevations?

Thanks

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The reason why you're not allowed to fill a propane tank or propane cylinder beyond 80% is to provide room for expansion. You should not be alarmed if the propane does expand when you go to a higher altitude or a higher temperature; it takes a lot of altitude and/or heat to exceed 20% expansion, and even if it did, the pressure relief valve would bleed off the excess.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to check out this link to "Propane 101":
Propane 101 - Promoting Propane Safety Through Understanding

The website is geared more toward home propane tanks rather than RV tanks and cylinders, but there's still lots of useful info there.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks protag, I was pretty sure things were okay. Always good to have a second opinion.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I've learned to treat the propane lites as a rough indicator and not a gauge of the amount of propane left.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Propane and elevation questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I've learned to treat the propane lites as a rough indicator and not a gauge of the amount of propane left.

Yup. Mine showed a full tank when the generator stopped from lack of propane.

Turned out to be a faulty propane tank level sender.

How are you enjoying the trip Grant? My 2015 trip was over before it really began. Only got as far as Niagara Falls, Canada when I had to return home for a family emergency.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Trip has been great so far. 14 day on the road 2500 miles, parts of 11 states. 7 nights camping, 3 nights with relatives, 4 hotel nights. Next up is 7 straight days of camping, 2-3 in black hills, then 4-5 across Wyoming, idea and Oregon before I get to our western terminus for this trip