Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Problem with propane solenoid

I just picked up my new rig this last weekend so I've only had it a few days, so far I'm very impressed with it. I do seem to have a problem with the propane solenoid, when I flip the switch to on it's as if there is an open valve and I hear propane escaping, not for just a second or two, it continues as long as the switch is on. Anyone had this happen before?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Which device? Water heater, fridge?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
The main propane shut off switch located outside the coach behind right rear duals, the solenoid is next to the propane tank.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Jeff,
Is this a new Interstate? You could try to identify the point of the leak yourself but I sure wouldn't leave the switch on for very long. You don't want to blow up a new Interstate If you have just taken delivery from a dealer, I'd suggest taking it back to the dealer.

The leak could be at any one of the appliances that are fueled by propane. If it is a recent model, that would be: generator, cook top, water heater, furnace or the port for plugging in an external propane device (located near the propane shutoff switch) or the tubing running to any of these. It could also be at the propane tank itself or the fill port (also located near the shutoff switch).

BTW, if you put the Model Year and version in your signature, it will help folks here provide better advice.

Good luck and be careful now!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
In my SOB Sprinter RV I had an issue with the priming switch/valve on the generator getting stuck open. If I remember correctly you help the opposite side of the start switch down for a few seconds to prime the gen.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaggard View Post
In my SOB Sprinter RV I had an issue with the priming switch/valve on the generator getting stuck open. If I remember correctly you help the opposite side of the start switch down for a few seconds to prime the gen.
While the start switch on the remote panel does have a "Prime" position, I don't think it has any effect with the LP version of these generators.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Somewhere very close to the propane solenoid switch there is a bleeder valve, which has to be open while the tank is being filled, and closed afterwards. It's possible the bleeder valve is cracked open. I'm not SURE that's it; if it was, your propane would leak out whether the switch is on or off. But it's an easy thing to check.

Another thing to consider is that you might not actually hear propane escaping; you might just hear it flowing out of the tank and into the lines. My hearing is not that sensitive anymore, so the fact that I don't hear anything on mine doesn't mean anything.

But, if you do have propane leaking somewhere near the switch, it's very close to the tank and it should be easy enough to crawl under the back end and apply soapy water to the propane line coming out of the tank to look for a leak, same way you would with a leaking tire. If it's only when the switch is on, it has to be on the side of the valve opposite the tank.

On the bright side, for safety's sake, if you have a leak, better outside than inside!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
On the bright side, for safety's sake, if you have a leak, better outside than inside!
My father used to say the same thing, but I don't think he was talking about propane gas.

For finding the leak, if you have an assistant, you can crawl under the area of the sound, and have the assistant turn on the solenoid, and follow the hiss to its source.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Your best bet is to take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. A propane leak is not something you want to really mess around with.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Thank you all for your replies, I spoke with Airstream and they believe it's a faulty regulator next to the propane tank.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
New Brunswick , New Jersey
It is a common defect. I had mine replaced within first 60 days. No reason from dealer. They just ordered and replaced it and it has been good since.
AirTurtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
I didn't want to wait the two weeks for an appointment so I went to the local Ace hardware and picked one up for $30.00 and installed it myself in around 20 minutes.

Jeff
2014 Extended lounge