Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Problem with Exterior Plastic Trim Pieces added by Airstream

Ive notice many scratches and fading of all the exterior Plastic trim pieces added by the Airstream factory. I have a silver 2015 AI. The factory silver paint is still in excellent shape without any fading. Has anyone else noticed or have the same problem . I did see a previous post concerning the issue but can't locate.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Common problem. Someday, it may be my next project.....or a professional’s project I should say.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
+1 on that. I also have a 2015 silver AI
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Yep, mine has a spiderweb look to it. I found some stuff that makes it look nice - for a few days. Then the fade and webs return. Some have got AI to send them ones under warranty, to install themselves. A lot of work for a problem that will return in a year or two. Side panels and rear is the worst - front look good for some reason.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Yup. Same problem here. 2017 Silver color. All the mouldings, side skirts, and bumper covers painted by Airstream have the clear coat failing.
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Same on my 2013 Interstate - a common aging problem.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Yup. Same problem here. 2017 Silver color. All the mouldings, side skirts, and bumper covers painted by Airstream have the clear coat failing.
Ditto. Mine too. One more thing to deal with - frustrating.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Same issues with our 15’...it seems with the number of owners affected, it’s an Airstream defect in either materials and/or workmanship.

Wonder if the Airstream representative that monitors these posts, would like to weigh in with us on how they could remedy this issue?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You're lucky. On our 2011 silver AI they not only faded but the leading edges started to come unstuck because of poor prep. VHB tape is very good if the surfaces are prepped properly. Obviously they hadn't figured that out until recently. Ours wasn't the only instance of this.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Airstream hires somebody to monitor this forum, and the only response I have seen is a to ask the posting person to contact Airstream. Far as I can tell Airstream has made no effort to improve the material or processes. I expect that the size of the panels has changed since my 2013. So even if they do develop a fix for the current parts, I suspect that even replacement parts for mine may be the same old junk.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Yep! Same exact problem on my 2016 AI

Clearly a defective product from Airstream (AGAIN!)
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Anyone email AS about this widespread problem that affects so many silver ASI owners? Maybe we can start a list of owners with this paint defect, if it'll make a case with warranty?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Anyone email AS about this widespread problem that affects so many silver ASI owners? Maybe we can start a list of owners with this paint defect, if it'll make a case with warranty?

My 2013 Interstate is long out of warranty.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Airstream is well aware of this issue at least going back to 2012, yet they continued to use the same supplier. I know, because in 2012, while getting other issues resolved, I asked them under warranty to see what they could do about the paint defects. They told me they called the supplier and were informed to simply buff the flaws out. And this they tried to do with a power buffer until they wore the paint down to the black plastic underneath. So, they came and got me, and took me to my van, and said what do you want to do? I'd been there five days already and had worn out my welcome. I told them if they would give me new panels, I would install them myself. So they hustled up all new panels except for the bumpers, and off I went. I replaced two of them, and one as recently as last year, and both the replaced panels started showing the same symptoms. So it's not like this is something new for them-they've known about it for at least six or seven years or more. They simply are not concerned about it. My guess is that every single van out there will do this if left in the sun.

I since recently sold my Interstate, so this will likely be one of my last posts here. I gave the remaining panels to the new buyer and he intends to have the bumpers repainted. But in any event, it's a case of poor quality materials and Airstream should pay to have everyone who has this problem with the trim and bumpers repainted at their cost since it clearly is defective, they were well aware of it at least back when I put them on notice in person about it, and kept right on using the same supplier.

Good luck. It's been fun here and I'll miss the family. Airstream aka Thor? Not so much.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Sorry to see you go gmillerok1! You've provided some quality posts during the time I've been on the forum!

Hope you're still going to be RVing in some fashion?

With so many of us having this issue, maybe we ought to consider a class action suit?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Sorry to see you go gmillerok1! You've provided some quality posts during the time I've been on the forum!

Hope you're still going to be RVing in some fashion?

With so many of us having this issue, maybe we ought to consider a class action suit?
I agree. For them to continue to use the same supplier with the same issues is inexcusable.

I do feel somewhat of an expert on this model as I have done about 95% of the warranty work myself, so I know the insides of the Interstate very well indeed. I don't think there is a nook or cranny I haven't removed, replaced, or visited to do something or other.

I'll miss this forum as it was the best part of owning an Airstream.

But, I'm moving on. The Interstate got too cramped for us as my wife has some serious back issues and it became very difficult for her to move around in the cramped space in the back. So, we sold it to a very lucky fellow from Seattle. In the meantime, we ordered a new LTV Wonder Rear Twin Bed to be delivered sometime later this year. It has a lot more room to get around for her, and the fit and finish of the models we looked at by LTV seemed very well done.

So, I may still visit time to time. If anyone here ever has a question about the 2011 and later years, just drop me a line.

GM
Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Any success at getting Airstream to cover?

Has anyone been successful at getting Airstream to cover repainting the parts where the paint is failing, even while under warranty?

I was at dealership in Orange County a couple days ago where service manager mentioned he is fighting to get covered but has been unsuccessful, so far.
1olpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olpony View Post
Has anyone been successful at getting Airstream to cover repainting the parts where the paint is failing, even while under warranty?

I was at dealership in Orange County a couple days ago where service manager mentioned he is fighting to get covered but has been unsuccessful, so far.
They replaced all the panels including the chrome trim except the bumpers for me, provided I installed them, under warranty.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
We met an owner of a 2015 from New Jersey. He told us that he took his to Jackson Center and complained loudly and long enough that they repainted his, even though he was out of warranty!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
I just emailed Jeremy Allen at Airstream about this issue along with some pics. Lets see how they handle this. Mine started failing a year and a half or so after delivery.Not holding my breath but it's a shame they haven't fixed such an old problem in recent models.

jallen@airstream.com

He has been helping me with miscellaneous warranty parts and is very responsive and really helpful.