Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
AStreamNerds: I love your Repeater installation. Can you provide Make/Model of your REPEATER? That way, I'll know it'll work with the TST sensors..... Thanks.

What cwf said. It is a TST repeater. I read up before I bought the TST system and I decided to buy the repeater at the same time as the rest of the system. Just took my time getting to the install. Thanks for the compliment

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Just wanted to update everyone on my issue with the right rear outer tire sensor. I tried everything, replaced the battery, replaced the stem core, removed all sensors and re-programmed and called TST. After discussing the issue and all that I had done to resolve, Jim ask what battery I had used when replacing? I had bought one from Battery Plus, he said they had seen previously problems with Walmart and Battery Plus CR1632's not reaching the correct voltage. So last resort I went and got an Energizer CR1632 and immediately the sensor coded properly. So, lesson learned - make sure to use brand name batteries.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
good to know....thanks for the info

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
Just wanted to update everyone on my issue with the right rear outer tire sensor. I tried everything, replaced the battery, replaced the stem core, removed all sensors and re-programmed and called TST. After discussing the issue and all that I had done to resolve, Jim ask what battery I had used when replacing? I had bought one from Battery Plus, he said they had seen previously problems with Walmart and Battery Plus CR1632's not reaching the correct voltage. So last resort I went and got an Energizer CR1632 and immediately the sensor coded properly. So, lesson learned - make sure to use brand name batteries.
Good to know - thanks for the follow-up.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow, that is maybe the problem I had also.
Thanks valuable information.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
About to pull the trigger and get a TPMS. TST 507 has numerous recommendations in this forum. Wondering whether to go with the valve cap sensor or the flow through sensor. Will either fit equally well in the tight space between the duals? Cap style seems better with 15 g vs 22 g of mass spinning at the OD of the rim. How hard is it to remove the flow through sensor, and replace batteries, without removing the wheels? Do I need to rebalance the tires? Would seem so... Other pros or cons of cap style vs flow through style?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I had a reporting problem with one of my sensors. I went back and unscrewed the sensor from the valve stem a quarter turn and it started reading. The sensors can not read if they are too tight or loose.
We had no communication problems during our last 1100 mile trip without a repeater.
Changing the subject: Does anyone know how to program the unit to disregard the steering axle. Mine seems to default to always report that axle even if no sensors are on the steering axle. I would like it to just scan the trailer axle.
Thanks,
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
About to pull the trigger and get a TPMS. TST 507 has numerous recommendations in this forum. Wondering whether to go with the valve cap sensor or the flow through sensor. Will either fit equally well in the tight space between the duals? Cap style seems better with 15 g vs 22 g of mass spinning at the OD of the rim. How hard is it to remove the flow through sensor, and replace batteries, without removing the wheels? Do I need to rebalance the tires? Would seem so... Other pros or cons of cap style vs flow through style?

You don't want to put TPMS sensors on those rubber valve stems between the dual rear tires. That will likely result in a flat tire when the extra weight of the sensor will cause the rubber valve stems to fail.

Best to add extended metal valve stems on those inner dual so the sensors are all accessible on outside of the duals.

I have the flow through sensors that require new batteries about once a year. Replacing their batteries is not hard, but tedious. No need to remove wheels. If I had to do it again I'd probably just get the regular, lighter sensors with longer battery life. I have only had to adjust tire pressures about once a year so the flow through sensors are not that necessary.

Probably a good idea to get tires rebalanced once you add sensors. I didn't do that and I see that my front tires show cupping wear from being a little out of balance. No problem on rears as the sensors are directly opposite each other on the duals.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Setting TST pressures on different axles

Can you set different pressure thresholds on different axles with the TST system? I am currently running 75 psi on the front axle (seems to take care of an edge wear issue) while running the 61 psi recommended by Airstream on the rear duals on my 2013 AI.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Boxster71
Thanks for your input. I already have switched to metal stems. I had the same thought about the rear - with the opposite valves balancing each other out. I also thought the same about the flow through not being real important given how infrequently air is needed. My recent (bad) experience with flow through valve caps has me skeptical of those sensors. But having to have the cap sensors not too tight nor not too loose (recent Ruscal post) is also concerning. How much tolerance is there between 'too loose' so that they leak and 'not too tight' so that they work? the cap style weigh 15 g which is 0.5oz, which is about the smallest balance weight that I have seen used. So maybe a rebalance is not needed...
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruscal View Post
I had a reporting problem with one of my sensors. I went back and unscrewed the sensor from the valve stem a quarter turn and it started reading. The sensors can not read if they are too tight or loose.

We had no communication problems during our last 1100 mile trip without a repeater.

Changing the subject: Does anyone know how to program the unit to disregard the steering axle. Mine seems to default to always report that axle even if no sensors are on the steering axle. I would like it to just scan the trailer axle.

Thanks,

Russ

I had the same problem. However, I called TST and they told me how to do it. I recall that it was incredibly easy but I don’t recall exactly how to do it. But, there is a section in the manual about deleting an axle. TST has a downloadable version of the manual on their website.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieJ View Post
Can you set different pressure thresholds on different axles with the TST system? I am currently running 75 psi on the front axle (seems to take care of an edge wear issue) while running the 61 psi recommended by Airstream on the rear duals on my 2013 AI.

Yes - the TST system and most other after-market systems I've looked at allow you to set different pressure limits on each axle. I now run 65 psi on front and 55 psi on the rears. Wear is very even on the rears. My fronts do show some edge wear after 60,000 miles as I ran them a little to low at 55 psi for about 40,000 miles.