Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We rarely drive long /far-enough to even top off our two RV batts ... let alone actually charge them if well down; they charge from the alternator RV line in our diesel truck very slowly. Suggest to consider a generator to provide some power and the 12vDC power cord for recharging your batts.
Apologies for the consecutive posts. Just wanted to point out that charging systems for Airstream trailers and for Airstream Interstate class-B vans are not directly comparable. What works for one may not work for the other.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After reading about the issues with the Interstate batteries and charging, the whole thing seems really crazy. One thing is common to all motor vehicles, an alternator will not charge a dead battery. I'd carry long jumper cables to start the generator with the vehicle battery when the house batteries don't start it and a battery charger to charge batteries when 120 v. is available (don't have to use the generator then).

Gene

Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
After reading about the issues with the Interstate batteries and charging, the whole thing seems really crazy. One thing is common to all motor vehicles, an alternator will not charge a dead battery. I'd carry long jumper cables to start the generator with the vehicle battery when the house batteries don't start it and a battery charger to charge batteries when 120 v. is available (don't have to use the generator then).

Gene

My jumper cables are long enough to do that. However, the generator on an Interstate is tucked up underneath, between the spare tire and the rear axle, inside an enclosure, and it starts from the house batteries. Which you can't attach jumper cables to unless you disassemble the sofa to get at the battery box.

They do make a gizmo where you can just plug in a special jumper cable on a car without raising the hood. Forget what it's called, but my dad's shop truck back when he owned a service station had one. I may get one of those for the house batteries, so I can jump-start the generator by plugging jumper cables in by the rear bumper.

Interstates are the best Class B's on the market, but even the best class B is a collection of compromises all rolling in loose formation.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote