Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Power Step Electrical

Here's a puzzler for the electrical wizards: Opened the sliding door on my 2015 Grand Tour, and the step did not come out. I assumed it might be the fuse, as had happened once before. Pulled the 15 amp fuse #10 and it looked fine. Stuck it back in the slot and I could hear the step extend on the other side. Hmmm. Suspected the fuse might be conducting intermittently, so replaced with fresh fuse. Tried again and same result. Step does not extend or retract (except when engine starts) unless I remove and reinsert the fuse. Ideas?
Tim
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Possibly bad contacts in the fuse holder or bad wiring connection to the fuse holder. Next time, just try wiggling the fuse w/o removing it.

PS: Not a wizard yet, still working on apprentice.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Might not seem perfectly logical, but often problems like this arise from a bad ground.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
Just for anyone who was curious about this puzzler: I have been living with the strange power step experience for the past several weeks by quickly pulling and replacing the fuse in slot 10 in order to extend or retract the step, but finally called Airstream tech support to brainstorm the problem. They got back to me very quickly with the diagnosis, though the repair is going to involve the hassle of a trip to the dealer. One of the two relays in the circuit for step operation is apparently stuck and only activates when power is cut then restored through the removal and replacement of the fuse. The responsible relay is either in the step well circuitry or in (behind, under) the kitchen cabinet.
WBCCI Member #5506
Old 11-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Corsicana , Texas
I'm having same issue with my 2014 1/2. I can manually pull steps in or out and when the sliding door is opened or closed you can hear the motor running but steps won't come out. Did you get your steps working?
aoldpiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlundell View Post
Just for anyone who was curious about this puzzler: I have been living with the strange power step experience for the past several weeks by quickly pulling and replacing the fuse in slot 10 in order to extend or retract the step, but finally called Airstream tech support to brainstorm the problem. They got back to me very quickly with the diagnosis, though the repair is going to involve the hassle of a trip to the dealer. One of the two relays in the circuit for step operation is apparently stuck and only activates when power is cut then restored through the removal and replacement of the fuse. The responsible relay is either in the step well circuitry or in (behind, under) the kitchen cabinet.
I was about to send a response that it was probably a relay - then I read your post and confirmed my suspicions. Good job!
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Beaufort , South Carolina
I am having the same problem with my 2015. I discovered the same that by pulling the 15 amp fuse the step will extend. Took the van to my dealer. All day and no one could figure it out. They thought it might be the contacts in the door but that was not it. Here is the funny thing. Three days ago everything started working correctly extending and retracting when it was suppose to VERY HAPPY. Then S___ it got stuck retracting half way. Would not do anything in or out. Started the van and it would not retract and now I had a beeping that would not quit. So I pulled the 10 amp beeping stopped. Pulled the 15 amp and put it back and still stick. Had to pull out a wrench and manually retract the step. Now it does not work at all.

Any ideas?
WBS248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
WBS-- Sorry that yours has gotten worse...we have lived with the inconvenience of pulling/replacing the fuse to get it extended, but have not had an issue with retraction on starting engine. Factory was quite certain that it is a relay problem, one of the two in the step motor circuit, but it will take trial and error to figure out which one. Until/unless my situation deteriorates further, I will defer the trek to the dealer until I have a couple of fixits to address. Good luck....your dealer should be able to diagnose and repair using the circuit diagram.
WBCCI Member #5506
Old 11-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
I've got the same problem in a 2015 GT. I've been manually pulling the step in and out as needed to avoid the insane beeping. Still haven't figured out how to stop the graveling sound of something in the step when pushed in.
southjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
Where is the fuse panel, the one in front or rear.
southjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk View Post
Where is the fuse panel, the one in front or rear.

The step 20 amp fuse is located in the Sprinter fuse panel under the driver’s seat, position F-10.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carmel , California
I was under the impression that the step only operates with the ignition turned on? I have a 2017 and discovered the step would not work when engine is running which is a Pain totally not convenient at all. I am trying to locate the circuit so I can just wire it to the battery to have power at all times. If anyone has done this can you let me know? There is power source under the drivers seat from what I have learned.
Martinperri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
For those who have a relay problem, this is what the modules look like.

Note - I have not had the problem, but it looks like a DIY fix. I documented with pics of everything when I had the panel off behind my galley while replacing a kinked fresh water filler hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200501_153336.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	385026  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
It is NOT the case that the power step only operates while the ignition is turned on. It should extend and retract any time the sliding door is opened, unless the step is locked in extended position, and except when the engine is running, which I assume is an intentional safety feature. As noted above, replacing the fuse is a fairly common occurrence, and if that has been done without restoring power to the step, you have a fault elsewhere in the circuitry.
WBCCI Member #5506
Old 12-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Ours does not extend when the door is open and the engine is running. And ours retracts if it is extended (whether door is open or closed) soon as the engine is started. This makes sense from a safety perspective, but I can see that it is a pain when trying to do in/out the sliding door with the engine running. I have step control things (relays ?) behind the little cubby that is just rearward of the sliding door stepdown from the main floor. I'll have to check to see if they look like those posted by Rowiebowie - or if I have a second set of relays somewhere else. I have not invested in any spare relays (for sliding door or waste tank valves) but it may be time to do so.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Two thoughts: 1) I had intermittent retract happen one day and there was a piece of gravel stuck between the sheet metal above the step and the step itself. 2) that same sheet metal was also sagging every so slightly and the step rubber treads were dragging on it enough to keep the step from fully retracting.

Also, several of us have had weird step activity not because of a bad relay but because of a broken sliding door magnetic contact switch. Please review the threads :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
JTSCAR - This happened to me a few months ago. I replaced the magnetic switch you will find in the sliding door well at the far left. Here's the product I ordered after reading about it from TCArcher's forum stories:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's my post after I replaced mine. Mine had broken from being impacted by the door slamming too many times so I modified the installation to future proof it:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-171598-2.html
There is also a currently running thread right now on the same topic:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ge-217546.html
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:39 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Santa Monica , California
My step does not operate, I brought it into the dealer and he told me the cause is a magnetic switch that engages when the door opens up. cost is $120 for them to R/R.
Mr.Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote