Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Well, add me to the list now. And of course I just picked up my rig from Colonial this week after repairs to a number of warranty issues. My rear door driver side is stuck open, both shades, and unresponsive to group lowering or single. God I wish there was a service center in the DMV...the 4th largest metro area in the country.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Well, add me to the list now. And of course I just picked up my rig from Colonial this week after repairs to a number of warranty issues. My rear door driver side is stuck open, both shades, and unresponsive to group lowering or single. God I wish there was a service center in the DMV...the 4th largest metro area in the country.
EYECHIP - Sorry to hear. Watch those molex connectors & big bundle of wiring. Do your due diligence - Airstream nor their dealers will not do it for you. Make sure they are out of the way of the tracks of the dayscreens. For the life of me, I do not understand why, because it"s guaranteed to reduce their failure rate.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #83
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
North Bend , Washington
Pi**Poor engineering

Bought my 2016 used and was told all motors had been replaced using Airstream Platinum secondary policy. Worked for 10K miles and now have multiple shades that stopped working - what a crappy setup and a confirmation that that Airstream does not give hoot about its customers. Airstream - What is your response???
Heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #84
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The response would be that it's no longer under warranty and that it's up to you to decide what to do and to pay for whatever you have done.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:33 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

North Bend , Washington
Yes - fully agree and it is still covered under extended warranty. The final quip is as to why Airstream does such poor engineering?
Old 07-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
We sadly sold our 2016 Interstate Ext Lounge last summer. With only 16k miles, we had window shade motors replaced way too many times.

Airstream owners are the best sales people Airstream could wish for. If the product is good they let everyone know. If it isn't good ......

I heartily recommend contact your local airstream dealer and airstream directly. They need to hear from all of their customers.

You, in good faith bought an airstream product, presented as sophisticated and high quality. Airstream in good faith needs to stand behind their product. The failing window shade system is their product issue.

I look forward to see how Airstream handles this customer opportunity.

Sincerely,

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
We have a 2017 GT. Had a lot of problems with the shades the first year or two, several replacement motors under warranty, jams, etc. But since then, they have all worked. If we have problems in future, I will investigate replacing them with manual shades. The "gee-whiz" factor of the motorized ones is not worth the problems. But as long as they work, we'll keep them.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #88
1 Rivet Member

North Bend , Washington
Manual shades switch

There has been many conversations of switching to manual shades - can somebody provide a link to a successful transition?
Old 07-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #89
1 Rivet Member

Tucson , AZ
Setting Initial Top and Bottom Limits

This thread contains a lot of useful information for replacing and adjusting power shade motors. I reference it frequently. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I wanted to include a procedure that I use to set the initial top and bottom limits. There is already information on how to remove the motor from the shade tube so I won't repeat any of that. This procedure starts with the disconnected motor (grey motor tube with black ends) in front of you. The motors on my 2018 Airstream Interstate GT are model 4280P, but I think this procedure will work for all. Using a 1.3 allen wrench, remove the set screw on the grey motor tube next to the wire/connector on the end with the limit adjustment screws. Then slowly and carefully pull the black end straight out of the grey motor tube (do not twist) until the limit adjustment gears are exposed, approximately 2.5" (see attached picture). DO NOT TRY TO COMPLETELY REMOVE THE BLACK END FROM THE MOTOR TUBE BECAUSE THERE ARE WIRES AND ELECTRONICS CONNECTED. Using this procedure, expose the limit adjustment gears on both the old motor and new motor. Measure the location of the top and bottom gears on the old motor and use the limit adjustment screws on the new motor to move the gears to the same location. Placing the old motor above the new motor on a table makes measuring and adjusting easier. When finished, slide the black end cap straight back into the grey motor tube being careful not to pinch any wires and replace the set screw. After installing the shade with new motor on the window, you can fine tune the top and bottom limits with minimal adjustments to the limit adjustment screws.

I hope you find this procedure useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_200400.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	398726  
SterlingsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thanks
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:00 PM   #91
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Centreville , Maryland
no remote and no other way to work the blinds

Recently bought a 2019 Interstate GT Tommy Bahama, the remote is missing and there is no option for blinds up and down on any display. Watched videos and see it on other years but not this one. At the fail rate maybe I should just go by some curtains.
jma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:59 AM   #92

Bernardsville , New Jersey
I have a ‘21 TB, 4 side blinds are controlled by the remote. Only the rear blind is on the panel. Currently it’s in the shop but happy to post a picture once I get it back.
ronb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
@Eyechip: I was curious what your experience has been with Colonial, and if you have had experience with Airstream in Richmond? We just purchased a 2016 AI Lounge and have had a few folks tell us Colonial was where they went (with our rig and another seller with their rig), even though Richmond is closer for each. Richmond is closer for us (we are in Annapolis).

Current issues:
1) Rear screen keeps attempting to go down, then up, in a loop.
2) Macerator pump not working (and the wiring from the switch is no longer stock)
3) The sun shade on the sliding door is stuck halfway down.
jmahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:59 PM   #94
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bremerton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
All I have to say is that people (potential Airstream customers) read all this...

If Airstream does not do anything to remedy these problems, one day they will wonder why their RVs are not selling the way they used to. Brand loyalty is created by having a good product and by treating the customers well.

I hope Airstream wakes up and sees reality soon. There are many RV companies around...
Here it is late August 2022 and they are still a nightmare. Between the shades, and many other issues, the excitement of purchasing an Airstream is gone. We are now waiting for a good electric van and will either do a self conversion, or have one done. So very dissapointed
PNWnChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:25 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahone View Post
@Eyechip: I was curious what your experience has been with Colonial, and if you have had experience with Airstream in Richmond? We just purchased a 2016 AI Lounge and have had a few folks tell us Colonial was where they went (with our rig and another seller with their rig), even though Richmond is closer for each. Richmond is closer for us (we are in Annapolis).

Current issues:
1) Rear screen keeps attempting to go down, then up, in a loop.
2) Macerator pump not working (and the wiring from the switch is no longer stock)
3) The sun shade on the sliding door is stuck halfway down.
Jerry, we've had stellar service from Colonial in NJ. We bought our first Class B Winnebago Era and then our AIGT from them. Overall a great experience and they've fix all of our issues on every visit on both when under warranty. Now that we're out of warranty, I do all the work myself. Only issue that we had was booking an appointment as they've always been booked way out even before Covid.

They just built a new location and I've not been by since but looking forward to it to take look at the new units for future MODS. However, I get a bunch of emails from them all the time trying to buy back my AI. On one of our all day service visits, there was a rep from Airstream singing their praise saying that they were one of the top Airstream dealers for service in the country. They do pump out a lot of units so that would make sense. I had no issues with them and was extremely happy with their service but again that was just my experience.

On another visit, we stood nearby at a local campground and met a couple from Canada that was staying there too that had a trailer and were going to Colonial for some sheet metal work on their Airstream trailer.

Good luck with those repairs.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:19 PM   #96

We just had a dealer fix the electric shades on our sliding door. We had them replace motors for both the sun shade and the night shade, because once we pay for the labor to take that thing apart and put it back together, we want both done. Parts and labor were nearly $1400

Old 08-22-2022, 11:40 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We just had a dealer fix the electric shades on our sliding door. We had them replace motors for both the sun shade and the night shade, because once we pay for the labor to take that thing apart and put it back together, we want both done. Parts and labor were nearly $1400
Wow, that's pricey. Our 2015 I think was the last year before they went to the electric shades and we're so glad. I think if we had them, I would've pulled them off and went with black out shades like we had on our Winny Era.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:37 PM   #98

Yes, pricey indeed. Pretty sure it was the labor rates at this particular dealer that shot this repair cost into the stratosphere. No fault to them, they did a fine job, but I think maybe they could have done it with fewer hours billed. A slightly lower hourly rate would have been nice, too, but this is an Airstream dealer, so we know that's not gonna happen, haha.