Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dayton , Montana
Power Awning Adjustment

My Power Awning does not retract all the way in the rear (1"). While it has not presented any problems, I noticed some allen nuts that tighten on to the track for adjustment? Has anyone adjusted these and aware of any tricks I should know about?
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
I loosened and adjusted all three of the brackets in order to shift the main bar aft 1/4". Mine would hit on the forward end each time it closed. The bar was closing at the same rate but too far forward. I marked the location of the brackets with a sharpie before starting so I had a reference point just in case I tapped it and it jumped further that I had planned or I wanted to go back to the original setting. It was easy to loosen and lightly tap.
In your situation I could imagine keeping the forward bracket in the same place and moving the aft bracket in the right direction to make that "scissor" close quicker. The middle bracket should be adjust half the distance of the aft bracket to make the adjustment consistent across the bar.
When I did my adjustments I did at least three trial closes to get it right. I kept my finger on the button to stop the close 1" short to avoid damage if a made a mistake and over-adjusted.
I think you could make some adjustments with trial and error to see what works best.
Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Montana
Thanks. I sent the question to Airstream customer service as well. I will let all know how it goes.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

​2020 Atlas​
Covington , Louisiana
My awning is also whacked

We have a brand new Atlas and the awning doesn’t close all the way in the back. It’s about a half inch out. The front closes completely and fits snugly. Did you get a response from Airstream and did you get your problem fixed? Did you try adjusting the arms yourself?
Kimarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Montana
Fixed it myself

I never did get any help from Airstream. If you have a Carefree awning on your Atlas then you should visit their website for the directions.

First. Try retracting and then extending all the way and then extend a couple of inches and the retract again.
Try this a few times and it may fix the problem.

Second. You need to follow the directions from Carefree. Tie the awning to the bracket before releasing the motor or trying any adjustments. The adjustment nuts are plastic and will break if you are not careful. Go to the Carefree website and make sure you are looking at the direction for the model on the Atlas.

Try number 1 again.

Mike