Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Protagonist...you have peaked my curiosity about using the external 12v outlet as a possible connect point for a portable solar array controller output. Logically, it seems like it would work without polarity modification, depending upon the current rating of that outlet/inlet. Any 12v electrical folks out there that could answer this one? It sure would be easier than drilling another hole in my battery box for the feed lead.
As I said when I first mentioned the idea, I'm no expert. But I can think of three possible modifications you might have to make: Heavier wire gauge; larger fuse; blocking diode to prevent back-feeding when the sun goes down.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Check the fuse for the circuit if it's a 10amp the wiring is good for up to 80% of fuse rating for constant use ! It can take short periods of more current to max of fuse rating the other thing from the solar plug you must check the polarity of the plug Center pin is positive this is the usual but some times when putting adapters to plug into a cigarette type plug the polarity gets reversed,the last thing is the solar panel should be fused because if the fuse blows in the rv all the wiring (in the rv )from the fuse to the plug is not protected if there are no fuses on solar panel, some have the fuse in the plug end that goes into a cigarette type plug socket. I charge my battery on my motorcycle through the power outlet with a solar panel in the winter in storage.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
We have 4 100 watt panels on top and we also have the Zamp 200 watt portable which we love. Sutton RV Service department installed a little plug for the portable to go directly into the battery - photo here:

More Solar - Aluminarium

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Protagonist...you have peaked my curiosity about using the external 12v outlet as a possible connect point for a portable solar array controller output. Logically, it seems like it would work without polarity modification, depending upon the current rating of that outlet/inlet. Any 12v electrical folks out there that could answer this one? It sure would be easier than drilling another hole in my battery box for the feed lead.

Might check with Jim Parrett at Airstream to z see what the outside outlet is rated for.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
All good points.....I think if I go portable Solar...I will have a plug installed. I still look ,with much interest, at the work lewster does........may have to bite the bullet and make a field trip to Oregon next year.
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
scamp....The exterior 12V outlet is fused for 20 amp. Hmmmmm.... I still think I may install the ZAMP plug if I go the portable route. Just feel like I am tempting fate to try to use the 12v outlet.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Wow your lucky 20amps ,like I said earlier ,if coming off the plug of the solar panel the Center is positive off the battery and fused ,you can't ask for better your using factory wiring on your rv and your well below 80 % of power output of the solar panel. I would do it ! That way you don't have to mess around with aftermarket plugs that could be inferior to the factory plug on your rv,like corrosion problems etc. remember watts=volts x amps when selecting your solar panel allow for aprox 15-20% more output from solar panel because they produce more power when they are cold called hyper voc .
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I decided to go to the horse's mouth about using the exterior 12 volt outlet as a connect point for portable charging with a panel(s) and controller arrangement. Just got a reply directy from Airstream....in a nutshell....NO. That outlet, while fused at 20 amps, is parallel to other items in that circuit. (The gray and black tank valves for instance.) I knew, going in, that the losses would probably be significant if I took this route. I would be "riding" the wiring to and through the coach fuse box and that would just make a bad situation worse. If I decide to use a portable system, I will attach directly to the battery. Actually, the more I think about this, the more I am leaning to just sucking it up and engaging AM Solar for this project in the future.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
There's a thread here, "Solar Panel Upgrades" where I posted my upgrade to (3) 100W panels, and 440 amp hours of battery backup. I upgraded the inverter to a 2000 watt pure sine Magnum and I can run everything except the A/C. Even cold nights, we keep the heater going. So much less hassle IMHO. Steve. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397217580.512507.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	875.5 KB
ID:	209413
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Steve, I was following that thread. The lewster does great work. It really is the way to go. Looks great!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
There's a thread here, "Solar Panel Upgrades" where I posted my upgrade to (3) 100W panels, and 440 amp hours of battery backup. I upgraded the inverter to a 2000 watt pure sine Magnum and I can run everything except the A/C. Even cold nights, we keep the heater going. So much less hassle IMHO. Steve. Attachment 209413
can you tilt the panels for low sun angles in winter?.. nice set up.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Yes, however only front to back or back to front. Based on the placement, only two at a time, because of shadowing. Here is a picture while I was detailing the AIClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397220973.513632.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	693.1 KB
ID:	209416
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote