Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Portable Direct 2 Sewer Outdoor Sink

Portable Direct 2 Sewer Outdoor Sink

The typical AI limitation - small grey tank, small sink, small quarters for washing dishes & other small items (rinsing beach shoes, kiddo beach wear, even adult swimwear). Most campgrounds have laundromats and outdoor sinks but usually at a not convenient walking distance.

The typical campground full hookup convenience - a sewer port right next to the water source.

My DIY solution - a plastic dishwashing bowl with a strainer plug. Use ABS cement to assemble connectors, pipe, and bottom strainer that stands right on top of sewer port. Male/female threaded adapters allow disassembly of contraption during transport. Super light, virtually indestructible, and most important of all dirt cheap < $30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190818_123828.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	690.7 KB
ID:	349808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190818_125611.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	773.1 KB
ID:	349809  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Seems so logical and a good design. Not to be indelicate - but how do you sanitize that? You’re sticking that pipe right in the sewer where everyone else has dropped their bio-hazardous waste....what are you doing to keep the bugs from crawling up the drain pipe or infecting the storage area where you pack it up when through?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Needs a P-trap somewhere or one of those Hepvo waterless trap gadgets in the line somewhere. Sewer gas and stuff ‘crawling back up’ is a real issue with this idea, just needs a few minor refinements.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
STEVESUEMAC - I usually leave it connected the entire week, use the grey water discharge to hose off all the parts, then store on top of galley counter for transport . . . haha, gotcha LOL! Seriously, excellent question. It sits on the sewer port only as long as the washing/rinsing process is happening. Remove as soon as bowl water has drained. Spray Simple Green all-purpose cleaner, quick rinse & spray Lysol disinfectant & leave out in sun for UV sanitizing and ready for next use. Process takes 30secs. Same process I use for the macerator hose & reel & adapters prior to stowage.

It's straight pipe, so no ridges for 'stuff' to imbed, unlike the accordion slinky sewer hoses. ABS pipe & square bowl is strapped outside, under driver and/or passenger running board support brackets. I dont like the idea of storing anything related to sewer hoses, adapters, black tank back-flush hose, or tank chems inside the van. They all stored under chassis.

Name:	20180523_113454.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	929.1 KB
ID:	349855

RMKRUM - strictly short-term use, I thought about the Hepvo or a check valve but then the price is not worth it for the 60secs to 240secs that the contraption is going to be used and immediately removed. Can't even find a 3" HEPVO but I have many pool check valves for my home in-ground swimming pool. However, the sink disconnects easily via threaded adapters, so it's an easy thread-on of my pool check valve should I deem it necessary. Usage is shorter than the dumping process of grey & black tanks (see reply to STEVESUEMAC). Also, the bowl has a rubber gasketed stopper/strainer that acts as a trap. Additionally, the storm/drain landscape strainer installed upside down has enough slots on it's circumference flange venting downside & sideways on the sewer port. That and it being outside, I not at all concerned with sewer gases or creepy crawlies
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190818_171537.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	349854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190818_173123.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	349859  

Name:	20190818_173107.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	349860  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
If I'm understanding correctly, this is for use with FULL hookups? Three-way?

On those rare occasions when we camp that way, I just use the gray tank as a pass-through device (the valve stays open all the time). I could put 50 gallons of water through the Interstate's plumbing and it would not matter; the size of the gray tank is mooted.

I can see the desirability if the need is to wash shoes and other items that one would prefer to keep out of the sink. In that case, I think I'd devise a splitter, so that the Interstate's gray water tank and the external sink could simultaneously drain to the sewer line.

^^ Spoken like a true mosquito and black fly PTSD victim. When the mosquitoes surge, everyone gets into the van, and no door is re-opened until they abate. So our on-board gray water system still has to function as designed, irrespective of what else might be in series or in parallel with it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, this is for use with FULL hookups? Three-way?

On those rare occasions when we camp that way, I just use the gray tank as a pass-through device (the valve stays open all the time). I could put 50 gallons of water through the Interstate's plumbing and it would not matter; the size of the gray tank is mooted.
INTERBLOG - I do not connect to the sewer port until I am ready to dump either tanks. The macerator system with the 1" or 3/4" hose reel can not do a pass-through like the standard gravity dump with big 3" sewer hose, even for grey tank liquid only. At least not that I know of - unless I plumb a 3" gravity upstream of macerator, as some have done for use as an emergency macerator bypass when macerator quits. The macerator has to run for anything solid/liquid to dump. I am contemplating that bypass but not until I have reason to remove my existing macerator coz I don't want to break the seals on my (so far) leak-free macerator connections (knock wood)