Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Just remembered I have had dropped reception on occasion in the vicinity of electric substations or power lines, even when they are not overhead - just to one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
METAIRIE , Louisiana
Thanks for the XM vs Sirius satellite info. I have XM in my 2007 Safari, with the Outdoor Antenna mounted in the bow/front wraparound window, above the berth, and move it from port to starboard [roadside to curbside] to point south depending on the camp location. The wire is long enough, run under the mattress, to make is an easy switch. I made a metal plate, bent at 90 degrees that slides into the aluminum seam. My understanding is that the antenna works best when in contact with steel. I have also used this radio/antenna setup in a sailboat from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, Baja, Mexico. I find Satellite reception better than FM [which someone suggested] , except in cities, which I seldom camp near. Listening to Metropolitan Opera 24/7 and major league baseball beats most of what was available for travelers in the pre-XM years. Back then I traveled with a Shortwave Radio, but could only run a decently long antenna wire when camped.

DBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
Check the antenna cable. Ours was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
pebbrb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Over the last eight or ten years we have had several vehicles with Sirius radios and one with XM all with roof mounted antennae. I have been all across the South, Southwest, and mountain regions of New Mexico and Colorado and could tell little difference between the two services but Sirius has always seemed the most reliable. Both were/are subject to the expected coverage dropouts in tunnels, under bridges, and in narrow canyons. One unexpected dropout occurred/occurs with the older units. Our home is near the local "signal hill" the transmitting towers for four television stations and a plethora of other RF transmitters including cell phones, AM and FM radio, police and fire radio, etc. The XM and the older Sirius units were/are reliably blanked out within mile or better of Signal Hill. The Sirius units in our 2013 AI and 2015 VW seem relatively impervious to the Signal Hill blackout.

Since all of the vehicles use roof mounted "shark fin", or in the case of the 2013 AI a roof mounted whip, antenna I can only attribute the different sensitivity to the massive RF output from Signal Hill to improvements in the electronics of the later model Sirius receivers. But that is strictly anecdotal evidence and certainly not scientific.

Make errors otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote