Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 56
Plumbing woes: Fittings leaking to outdoor shower

So, got hooked up and noticed a drip under van. Checked under sink and found the screw on fitting going to the outdoor faucet to hot was leaking. It was only hand tight so I tightened it.. still leaking.

I took the faucet out and found it was in good shape, no cracks. So it must be the gasket leaking.

1. Do you all know if you can replace the gasket?
2. What is the part number or name of this kind of fitting?
3. How about cutting the his fitting off and replacing with gatorbite flex hose? Anybody tried that?

Thanks for feedback. I have done a little pex work in the past but would have to get the tools for this type and would rather do a cheaper option of replacing with a flex hose as it's somewhat plug and play with the tools I have and may reduce some tenstion on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190203_130738.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	332901  
__________________

__________________
2015 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT with 9th Passenger Seat
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
CHARLIEOSCAR - this is all I found. No gasket part#. So, I can only assume the gasket is part of one of the fittings. There is a rubber washer they mention but nothing says for which, just "602217 - Rubber washer, Exterior shower".

PS - You may want to double check if it is the gasket/washer or you have a hairline crack on the fitting. Looking at that pic closely/magnified and checking the calcium residue from the drip marks (right side of fitting going down), it is possible it is a hairline crack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Connectors Annotation 2019-02-03 125753.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	332902  
__________________

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
CHARLIEOSCAR - this is all I found. No gasket part#. So, I can only assume the gasket is part of one of the fittings. There is a rubber washer they mention but nothing says for which, just "602217 - Rubber washer, Exterior shower".

PS - You may want to double check if it is the gasket/washer or you have a hairline crack on the fitting. Looking at that pic closely/magnified and checking the calcium residue from the drip marks (right side of fitting going down), it is possible it is a hairline crack?
The facuet itself isn't cracked for sure. I took it out of the van and did a pretty good inspection. I think I'm going to just cut off the fitting from the PEX and put on a standard braided hose with a shark bite Union. Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

SharkBite 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 18 in. Braided Stainless Steel Supply Hose
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...18LF/202812116

Something like this. Looking for a shorter length. Or maybe just go shark bite to male and then fit a standard water supply line.

Going to start just carrying these sharkbites with me for road repairs. At least to put a blind end on a line that is leaking to bypass or completely repair.
__________________
2015 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT with 9th Passenger Seat
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
SharkBite 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 18 in. Braided Stainless Steel Supply Hose

Going to start just carrying these sharkbites with me for road repairs. At least to put a blind end on a line that is leaking to bypass or completely repair.
CHARLIEOSCAR - Well, if you gonna bring up stainless steel braided hoses, how can I object Those are my go to plumbing hoses. My house was spec'ed for all copper lines. But builder used cheapo plastic lines from the valves to all the fixtures. After one of the plastic hoses developed leak causing ceiling damage (luckily only on garage ceiling), I ripped out all 24 of the cheapo valves & plastic hoses - converted to stainless steel braided hoses & better valves. That was 15 yrs. ago.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,396
Plumbing woes: Fittings leaking to outdoor shower

Same here, but remember that the braided hoses still have rubber washers in places to seal fittings. I had a high water pressure issue in the house and managed to damage a few of those washers. Didnít leak much, but it was a scramble fixing it and finding the cause. Fittings were about 15 years old at the time they started dripping.

I now have a shiny new whole house pressure regulator with a new, permanently installed water pressure gauge right next to it. And yeah, I check it once a month.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I now have a shiny new whole house pressure regulator with a new, permanently installed water pressure gauge right next to it.
RMKRUM - Same here. It actually came spec'ed with the house. Surprised that is not required in SoCal. In the LV valley, pressure varies from 30-110 psi. depending on elevation, which is why I think it is code here. Since we live almost at the highest point in the valley, we normally get about 60 psi inlet. But I dial my regulator a tad below at 45 psi which serves us well. The shower & faucet aerators do a good job of it.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,396
Plumbing woes: Fittings leaking to outdoor shower

There had been a decent old regulator installed when House was built. It apparently went bad because of a bad valve seat or pintle. Pressure regulated at 45 pounds when water flowing, but gradually rose to 110 pounds street pressure when all faucets were shut. Itís now an impressively heavy brass paperweight unless I can find parts to overhaul it. Got lucky that old one and new one are exact same length and thread size.

They seem to install the cheapest ones possible, or the plumbers pull them out instead of replacing. Other house has 75 PSI in the street, and no regulator. There is a new one there as well at the meter. Was blowing drip irrigation system apart before I fixed it. Pain in the tail.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
RMKRUM - You are lucky indeed. I had similar prob with mine (though not 110 psi). Ordered a new one while it was available. Was lucky to be able to rebuild old one (don't remember which parts froze up, was a long time ago). But I kept new one as spare, coz my luck, if it fails again, my size will be discontinued
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
. . .
. . . but would have to get the tools for this type and would rather do a cheaper option of replacing with a flex hose as it's somewhat plug and play with the tools I have . . . [emphasis added]
. . .


Good luck with the "cheaper option" . . . asking for trouble around an Airstream IMO! . . . though SS hoses might be the best choice here.

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post


Good luck with the "cheaper option" . . . asking for trouble around an Airstream IMO! . . . though SS hoses might be the best choice here.

Peter

I hear you. Cheaper is a relative term here though. The SS hose option is a 15-20 dollar hose whereas the PEX fittings are a couple cents. But the tools to put them on are around 60-90 dollars so that's where the real cost is. Hope to get it repaired this weekend.

People on here above talking about high pressure. AI has a built in pressure regulator and manual says not to use an add-on at the hose or it can mess it up. Anyone out there using extra regulator or just built in AI regulator ?
__________________
2015 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT with 9th Passenger Seat
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
I hear you. Cheaper is a relative term here though. The SS hose option is a 15-20 dollar hose whereas the PEX fittings are a couple cents. But the tools to put them on are around 60-90 dollars so that's where the real cost is. Hope to get it repaired this weekend.

People on here above talking about high pressure. AI has a built in pressure regulator and manual says not to use an add-on at the hose or it can mess it up. Anyone out there using extra regulator or just built in AI regulator ?
CHARLIEOSCAR - I use a separate/adjustable on the utility faucet so I protect my hose. Yes, manual says that but they are not concerned about your hose. Irony is my AS dealer provided me that regulator (yes, fancy brass adjustable) in my PDI kit.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
CHARLIEOSCAR - I use a separate/adjustable on the utility faucet so I protect my hose. Yes, manual says that but they are not concerned about your hose. Irony is my AS dealer provided me that regulator (yes, fancy brass adjustable) in my PDI kit.

Just wanted to share that I got a new hose that is far superior IMO than usual Camco white hose. Teknor Apex 400625 Company 4006-25 Hose Zero-G 1/2X25 Rv/Marine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1FB8WV..._ofpzCbHPPQNPG.

Far more flexible, especially in cold weather. The fittings screw on very smoothly compared to the Camco. It also folds up way easier for storage. I originally got it as a backup hose but now considering a second one of these and ditching the Camco.
__________________
2015 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT with 9th Passenger Seat
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
Just wanted to share that I got a new hose that is far superior IMO than usual Camco white hose. Teknor Apex 400625 Company 4006-25 Hose Zero-G 1/2X25 Rv/Marine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1FB8WV..._ofpzCbHPPQNPG.

Far more flexible, especially in cold weather. The fittings screw on very smoothly compared to the Camco. It also folds up way easier for storage. I originally got it as a backup hose but now considering a second one of these and ditching the Camco.
CHARLIEOSCAR - You mean this? Good stuff, I like it too but for now I keep both coz my white Camco (see it underneath the Zero-G?) is only 10ft which is handy for when spigot is close. If/when Zero-G comes out with shorter, then will ditch Camco and carry both sizes of Zero-G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190213_212708.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	601.9 KB
ID:	333603  
__________________

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Water Leaking From Hand Tightened Fittings GinRose Fresh Water Systems 2 02-19-2018 08:52 AM
Copper compression fittings vs. flare fittings MR AIRSTREAM LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 37 12-07-2015 03:08 PM
Outdoor shower part numbers 67caravel Sinks, Showers & Toilets 20 09-07-2006 12:59 PM
Outdoor shower idahosafari Sinks, Showers & Toilets 19 04-12-2004 07:48 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.