Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2023, 11:30 AM   #1461
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
OK, not trying to sidetrack this thread at all, but when this happened I had to share.

I thought I'd do an iPhone photo search for any potentially interesting rig photos, so I entered "van" and along with 100+ actual rig photos, look at what else popped up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Halen Conert Poster.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	434459

At some point I had framed this concert promo poster, because of course I thought it was kinda cool, and had given it to my son who place it on his apartment wall. Back in college I was on the Pop Concert Committee and one of my tasks was to plaster these promo posters all over campus.

To say the very least @ <$ 10.00 a ticket makes me feel really old.
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:28 AM   #1462
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I could go on a major rant this morning, but I don’t have time. A minor rant instead, then.

Suffice it to say that I have not been on the open road in some time, and the A-hole factor has steadily increased. It took HOW MANY YEARS for someone in the business community to realize how wildly successful the Buc-ees concept would be?? All the interstate-highway-traveling public wanted was a clean toilet, and now the corporation that finally provided it is worth at least a half a billion dollars. Similarly, all the traveling public wants is somewhere to park overnight. It has nothing to do with wanting a “free” spot - it just needs to be in-out quick and convenient. And relatively free of A-holes. WE ARE NOT THERE YET, not even close. It took about FIFTY YEARS after the interstate highway system was born until we got Buc-ees, so we may be waiting a while longer on the rest. And until that business model is realized, we hope for the best with the likes of this below, even as A-holes put out their slides and run generators all around us:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:00 AM   #1463
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Texas is the home to amazing success stories: Buc-ees, HEB, ... makes me happy every time I go to one.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:55 PM   #1464
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
All the interstate-highway-traveling public wanted was a clean toilet, and now the corporation that finally provided it is worth at least a half a billion dollars. Similarly, all the traveling public wants is somewhere to park overnight. It has nothing to do with wanting a “free” spot - it just needs to be in-out quick and convenient. And relatively free of A-holes. WE ARE NOT THERE YET, not even close. It took about FIFTY YEARS after the interstate highway system was born until we got Buc-ees, so we may be waiting a while longer on the rest.
I think you’ve hit on something. When we’re on the road going somewhere, we’re travelling, not “camping.” The trailer is our mobile hotel room. A level place to park for the night where no one will bother us is worth $10 or $15 - particularly if there is a place to dump the tanks and get rid of a bag of garbage. We don’t need hookups, and the services of an RV park are generally of little value when we are pulling in at 8 or 9 and leaving by 8 the next morning.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:24 AM   #1465
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Snellville , Georgia
My Interstate GT

https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1690287796
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03846.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	434664   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03845.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	434665  

MCKlevickis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 05:22 AM   #1466
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Texas is the home to amazing success stories: Buc-ees, HEB, ... makes me happy every time I go to one.
BTW, the brisket at the Sevierville Buc-ee’s is much better than at any location in Texas!!

I think they are using hardwoods sourced locally, from the area of the Great Smoky Mountains. We simply don’t have mountain forests in Texas, not like that. There’s the standard brisket sandwich but they are also selling a brisket-only breakfast taco that I highly recommend.

When we first arrived, we wondered whether they will be successful there because location, location, location, and it’s a real beech to get on and off the freeway. It’s NOT easy-on, easy-off like it should be.

However, we’ve now been twice, and it was more mobbed during breakfast than later in the day. And they’ve only been open a few weeks. Word of breakfast tacos that good will spread virally.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote