Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
picking up our 16 Lounge EXT in a couple weeks - excited but questions!

We probably wouldn't have made our airstream interstate purchase without the research/resources available on this site. We are so excited!

We are a family of four - mom, dad, two boys (8 and 10). We are part of the minority of buyers that purchased primarily for long road tripping vs. much camping/sleeping. Although we are already starting to explore options for custom twin bed options that could sit between the captains chairs or a screened room off the sliding door for the boys to sleep, etc.

Our Interstate has the new airbag suspension, silver, w/walnut and oyster interior.

A few questions -

1) what's the consensus on best cargo box for combination of storage space, look, functionality, etc.? It seems the Rola, Stowaway, GearSpace options get a lot of positive press. Any personal experiences/preferences?

2) I understand that the speed limiter is set to 80. Not sure I would ever want to drive the Interstate above 80, but I am just curious - what happens at 81. Does it act like its bouncing off a rev limiter? Or does it cut off fuel completely?

3) do you find that you need the coach A/C while on road trips in summer to keep rear occupants cool or does the cab air cool down the coach enough on the highway?

4) we had the idea that a couple small ottomans in front of the captains chairs would make those chairs more comfortable. We were thinking it would be cool to find a couple cube shaped or round shaped with lids that have storage inside or something like that. Anyone ever seen something like this? I know space is a premium, so wouldn't want to add anything large, but we wouldn't really put much in front of the rear captains chairs anyway.

5) I assume that we can just hook up ipad to the HDMI to play movies on the Tvs? We would much prefer that to bringing a bunch of blue ray disks.

6) for on the road wifi, are most just going through their phones? or is there a more elaborate option?

7) best solution for pad on top of the fold down bed in the back?

really appreciate answers to any of these, experiences, etc. We did a lot of renting, research, etc. before we decided on an interstate, then saving, etc. Big day for us to peel the plastic off a new one. Very excited but also a little anxious about the whole experience. The level of complexity of systems is a bit daunting.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
#3 Yes. And above 90* ambient, it struggles to keep the rear cool. I added a couple of 9" fans and suspended below the lockers over the galley. It helps. Others said cracking one of the streetside rear windows allow better circulation of the cooler front air to the rear. Not so much for me. YMMV

#6 There's been a lot of mention of using mifi. I haven't researched exactly what that is yet.

Most of your questions are answered in the Interstate Mods thread and the Small Space Living thread.

Enjoy your new rig and let us know your impressions.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
If you are just road tripping and not camping, I would hold off on a hitch mounted cargo box, you shouldn't need it. Plenty of room in the rear overhead and behind and under the rear seat.

Nothing crazy happens when you hit top speed. You just don't go any faster. You should top out around 82.

The van A/C should keep the 4 front seats cool enough but may lag in the very back without rooftop air.

We don't watch much TV but when we do it is either dvds or local tv via antenna. There is a trick here, you have to run auto program each time you want to pickup new local channels. Piece of cake once you figure out how to do it.

Our phones and ipad are 3/4G so don't use wifi.

We use a 3" queen size memory foam with a twin (I believe) duvet cover. The twin fits nicely because you are not needing extra on the sides like making a bed at home. Buttons on top, it works well.

Congrats on your new Van you are going to love taking trips in it. Just get ready for the destickering lol. There are so many warning and informational stickers.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Here are replies to several of your questions. Not necessarily the best, you'll get lots of responses and suggestions. Just saying here's what we do:

5) we've probably not used the TV even for 30 min on our first 4 long weekend trips. But I want to theoretically be able to play downloaded Netflix type shows, and maybe an occasional movie, and like you, don't want to carry DVD's. I first tried to hook my Kindle Fire HDX to the TV's HDMI input using a cable and adaptor that Amazon said would work. However it didn't and, when I called customer support, they said I had a new generation which would only play through the TV by "mirroring" into a Kindle Fire stick. So I did an exchange, and will try the Fire stick next trip. You do have to plug in a Fire stick, and the TV's have outlets nearby to do that. Not sure how an iPad would work, but probably something similar ... either a cable or using Apple TV

6) When we got the RV, I researched cell coverage maps and decided to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon. Plus I got a jetpack Mifi and 10g of data / month. I'm very satisfied with that arrangement so far. Some people say you can just use your phone's hotspot, but that prevents using the phone for anything else.

Relatedly, for music, I use Amazon music Prime through my Verizon cellphone, and play through the RV's sound system using the bluetooth connection. I guess you could just do the same thing with a portable bluetooth speaker, which are fantastic these days as you know, and not expensive.

7) we use a Pinzon basics overfilled ultrasoft microplush queen mattress pad (Amazon $56). I read all kinds of stuff about thick foam pads, etc before we got the RV. My wife settled on the pad (she started with 2, but reduced to 1), regular fitted sheets, and a duvet. Works great for us ... very comfortable and we both sleep well. This is all about personal preference and I can't guarantee you would experience it the same as we do.

Good luck and keep reading this forum. It's fantastic for newbies like us.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
We use memory foam toppers with a padded cover for our bed. Started with just regular bedding sheets, but now use a pair of twin RV Superbags. The Superbags work great, but are expensive. During the day I just roll up the toppers and bags tied with a strap to keep the back lounge open for use. It looks like this during the day. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1435590736.183910.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	241832

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
We probably wouldn't have made our airstream interstate purchase without the research/resources available on this site. We are so excited!

We are a family of four - mom, dad, two boys (8 and 10). We are part of the minority of buyers that purchased primarily for long road tripping vs. much camping/sleeping. Although we are already starting to explore options for custom twin bed options that could sit between the captains chairs or a screened room off the sliding door for the boys to sleep, etc.

Our Interstate has the new airbag suspension, silver, w/walnut and oyster interior.

A few questions -

1) what's the consensus on best cargo box for combination of storage space, look, functionality, etc.? It seems the Rola, Stowaway, GearSpace options get a lot of positive press. Any personal experiences/preferences?

2) I understand that the speed limiter is set to 80. Not sure I would ever want to drive the Interstate above 80, but I am just curious - what happens at 81. Does it act like its bouncing off a rev limiter? Or does it cut off fuel completely?

3) do you find that you need the coach A/C while on road trips in summer to keep rear occupants cool or does the cab air cool down the coach enough on the highway?

4) we had the idea that a couple small ottomans in front of the captains chairs would make those chairs more comfortable. We were thinking it would be cool to find a couple cube shaped or round shaped with lids that have storage inside or something like that. Anyone ever seen something like this? I know space is a premium, so wouldn't want to add anything large, but we wouldn't really put much in front of the rear captains chairs anyway.

5) I assume that we can just hook up ipad to the HDMI to play movies on the Tvs? We would much prefer that to bringing a bunch of blue ray disks.

6) for on the road wifi, are most just going through their phones? or is there a more elaborate option?

really appreciate answers to any of these, experiences, etc. We did a lot of renting, research, etc. before we decided on an interstate, then saving, etc. Big day for us to peel the plastic off a new one. Very excited but also a little anxious about the whole experience. The level of complexity of systems is a bit daunting.
1) If you are not very tall, you may not need to make the bed into a king size bed. If that is the case, you can eliminate the drop down extensions and install cabinets behind the seats as I did. I was originally planning on adding a hitch storage box but I do not need any additional storage now. Here is a link: https://jerryforthofer.wordpress.com...am-interstate/

2) When we decided to tow a car, I removed my ECU and sent it to Renntech for their horsepower and torque upgrade. They also remove the rev limiter. Only on the steepest hills in the Smoky Mountains did the AI need to downshift to make the grade while pulling the car. We hardly knew the car was back there except when we pulled into an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway only to find there was no exit at the other end. We had to unhook the car, turn both vehicles around and then hook back up. Fortunately it does not take long to to that.

5) Nearly all of the RV campgrounds we have camped at have had WiFi. However, none of them have a very robust system and what they do have is easily overwhelmed when the campground is at high occupancy. On top of that, most of them will limit the size of your downloads.

We have also camped at a number of campgrounds where we also had very limited phone service and sometimes none. My plan too was to use my Ipad to download movies from Netflix but that has not worked out for us. We have a few DVD's but we have also used Redbox to rent movies. We have a Tailgater satellite antenna as well.

7) We have found the bed to be comfortable without a pad. As for bedding, we initially used sheets and blankets but soon found that making the bed was not very easy as you have to crawl on it to make it. We ordered some 35/50 degree indoor sleeping bags from LL Bean. They are both wide and long enough to allow you to move around. They roll up into a compact roll and are easily stored in the rear overhead cabinet on each outer side. Now my wife has the bed ready in a couple minutes. Works well for us.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I bought last year a small storage ottoman at WalMart.

Black, leather-look, collapses.....perfect for me for storage of crochet things.

And.....about $25. .

I ordered mine online, and they came in a couple of colors, as I recall. Have been very pleased with it, no wear and tear or other issues.

Have a great time!

Maggie
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
We have found that the following items work very well for our sleeping needs: 1. Wamsutta Cool & Fresh Mattress Pad 2. RV Superbag. 3. 2 Samsonite Tote-A-ton Duffel Bags. Items 1 & 2 fit into their own Duffel Bag.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1435704596.526250.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	241974

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1435704521.173637.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	241973  
Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
What size RV super bag did you get? Is the material soft?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
What size RV super bag did you get? Is the material soft?

We use a pair of twin RV Superbags. The sheets are held in with Velcro strips. The standard sheets a cotton poly blend but you can upgrade to high thread count cotton. The outside coverings of the bags are soft the interior lining under the sheets is soft like flannel.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
We get the Queen size. It fits in the samsonite duffel perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post

A few questions -

#1 Stowaway2.com