Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Galveston , Texas
picking up new AI this weekend

After a lot of little issues, we decided to trade our 2013 for a 2016 2 seater Grand Tour. Retirement is on the horizon and we think if we're going to upgrade we need to do it now. We know enough to be wary of the batteries from the dealer - and we made a deal on one that was sitting on the lot. When we walked through it, it was not plugged in and the fridge was running. The salesman said that was unusual, they had just moved it, and usually keep it plugged in.

Is there an easy way to tell if the batteries are still OK or if they need to be replaced? We are scheduled to close the deal this Saturday.

Thanks for any help you may have.
galvestongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
How long has the dealer had it in their inventory? If it has been sitting for very long I can almost guarantee damaged batteries. The refer running without being plugged in is your first indication of how closely they monitor their Interstates.

I hope I'm wrong.

Congrats on the new rig.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Congrats! Did you find it in greater Houston? I haven't looked recently but every time I've inquired in the past, there haven't been any in this area. "Can't get them in," they said.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Get a cheap hygrometer, $5.00, and test the batteries. If all the cells are not even they need to be replaced. Don't let the salesman say otherwise just have new ones put in.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Get a cheap hygrometer, $5.00, and test the batteries. If all the cells are not even they need to be replaced. Don't let the salesman say otherwise just have new ones put in.
They are AGMs, not flooded batteries.

He will need to do a load test to check them. Lew defined a test that while not as accurate as a bench test, could still give the OP an idea of how good the batteries are. Wished I could remember what he said but I've slept since then.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Galveston , Texas
I'm going to try and find Lew's post on that test. We have said the sale is contingent on making sure the batteries are good. Hope we can figure that out!

And we went back to Camper Clinic 2 in Buda, TX for this one - the same place we got the 2013. They have been pretty responsive, but they are a little bit of a drive for us.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Galveston , Texas
found it!

Thanks to everyone for their help! The information on this site is just incredible - so many smart, interesting people! I searched for Lew's test and found this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-150981.html

"With Lifeline AGMs (assuming that you have your original batteries), you can do a simple voltage test to see if your batteries are still viable. No load test is really necessary.

After fully charging them (inverter shows to be in float charge), let them rest for an hour with no load on them (turn off your battery disconnect or remove the negative cable from the batter bank). Their resting, no load voltage should read 12.8-13.2VDC with a volt meter. If it is anything less, they have lost their capacity to hold a charge.

Lifelines will hold their voltage at this level with no load on them for periods up to 90 days or longer. If yours are showing a precipitous voltage drop after such a short time, they are gone and should be replaced.

lewster is offline Report Post "

We will try this test on the new AI. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvestongrl View Post
After a lot of little issues, we decided to trade our 2013 for a 2016 2 seater Grand Tour. Retirement is on the horizon and we think if we're going to upgrade we need to do it now. We know enough to be wary of the batteries from the dealer - and we made a deal on one that was sitting on the lot. When we walked through it, it was not plugged in and the fridge was running. The salesman said that was unusual, they had just moved it, and usually keep it plugged in.

Is there an easy way to tell if the batteries are still OK or if they need to be replaced? We are scheduled to close the deal this Saturday.

Thanks for any help you may have.
The refer running without shore power tells you that you do have working batteries, because the refer is running in 12vDC mode, or in 120vAC mode though the inverter, either of which require house battery power.

That's not to say the batteries are in ideal condition. They could be damaged and have reduced capacity, but still enough capacity to run the fridge.

Lewster's advice on testing the batteries should be considered gospel. He knows whereof he speaks.