Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Picking up my first 2014.5 Airstream 3500 lounge EXT

Hi, new member, buying my 1st Airstream Interstate ,2014.5 ,lounge,,preowned with 16,900 mi in Ohio from Dave Arbogast RVs

I will doing my pre-purchase inspection on Friday, haven't seen it yet, other then internet.
Any suggestions or heads up during the prepurchase phase will be appreciated.
Also any experience with Dealership??
thanks
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

There's at least one thread here dealing ad nauseam w/ this very subject. It covers in great detail everything to questions to ask to video taping the entire inspection/operational training.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums and congrats on your purchase! You might have better luck searching for those referenced threads if you use Google rather than the internal search box, which tends to generate more non-specific returns. I've had times when I could not refer back to something via internal search, but then I found it externally. Example:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checklist.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	257266  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We bought a used AI from Arbogast. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and low pressure. They are a huge dealership (cars and RVs) with lots of different brands and are about a 40 minute drive from the Mother Ship in Jackson Center. For this reason you would think that they would be Airstream Interstate experts. I did quite a bit of Internet research prior to the purchase and I felt like I knew more about the AI than our salesperson (He was a good guy). I can understand it with all the brands and models they sell but what surprised me more was the RV tech that did my orientation was not intimately familiar with the specific details of the Interstate. He knew his way around RVs and was able to answer my questions eventually after flipping switches and trial and error. Take your time examining every item especially if it is out of warranty. Bring CD and DVD discs. We found out after we got home that one of the TVs wouldn't play DVDs. No other mechanical issues other than the ones that are inherent to all AIs. My dad told me that an RV is similar to a boat (a hole in the water that you throw money into) but we really enjoy the Bus. We have had a blast tailgating and are looking forward to an upcoming trip to FL.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Great, thanks for info, very helpful
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Great, thanks for info, very helpful
Mine (one year old 8,000 miles, used) had dead coach batteries that were artfully or accidentally hidden during the inspection. I would think this might be common for vehicles stored for a while on the lot without shore power.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

BUTLER , Pennsylvania
welcome

I have a 2014 ext lounge. LOVE IT. Have been in 42 states with it so far. Will finish all 49 this year.. After your orientation you will be confused about how everything works. After a few trips you start to get the hang of it.. It seems every time you go out you learn a little more about the coach. Arbogast is good. While on the road if you have any questions just call and they will have the answer.. The only thing I'd check would be the coach batteries.. They drain after extended non use and will go bad if they are not kept charged.. I had to replace mine... 2 batteries about $600.00 Not cheap. Other than that enjoy
BOBCONEYBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Another 2014.5 owner

I just traded my 2005 Classic 28 for a 2014.5 lounge with 19,225 miles. At 84, I decided I was done with the trailer bit and ready for something new. I can see a few more years of driving this coach where I was tired of the trailer..

I pick up the new unit tomorrow afternoon at Camper Clinic in Buda. The coach is so clean that I mistook it for the 2016 that I had originally intended to look at. After two visits to the dealer and about 2 hours in the coach, I could find almost no hint that it was not new. The only thing I wished for that was not included was the screen door that was fitted to the 2016 next door.. Since I travel with a cat, the screen door would be nice. I wouldn't trust any of the stick-on screens.

I downloaded the manual and parts list last night. Like all Airstream manuals, this one is terrible. This is my 4th Airstream and every manual so far has been a disaster.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I just traded my 2005 Classic 28 for a 2014.5 lounge with 19,225 miles. At 84, I decided I was done with the trailer bit and ready for something new. I can see a few more years of driving this coach where I was tired of the trailer..

I pick up the new unit tomorrow afternoon at Camper Clinic in Buda. The coach is so clean that I mistook it for the 2016 that I had originally intended to look at. After two visits to the dealer and about 2 hours in the coach, I could find almost no hint that it was not new. The only thing I wished for that was not included was the screen door that was fitted to the 2016 next door.. Since I travel with a cat, the screen door would be nice. I wouldn't trust any of the stick-on screens.

I downloaded the manual and parts list last night. Like all Airstream manuals, this one is terrible. This is my 4th Airstream and every manual so far has been a disaster.
Congratulations John. And I hope you'll have many happy years in it.
I'm sure you've already found out from this forum that in keeping with all RV's, the Interstate has its quirks and occasional issues. We can help if you have any questions.
One thing worth noting is that the manuals from the more recent years (2015-16) are much better than from previous years, so I suggest you download those too.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
One thing worth noting is that the manuals from the more recent years (2015-16) are much better than from previous years, so I suggest you download those too.
Peter
Thanks, I'll download them now.

About time Airstream hired a competent manual writer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks, I'll download them now.

About time Airstream hired a competent manual writer.
Don't give them too much credit though: for some reason the 2016 Manual doesn't have the PDF search facility enabled/working; but the 2015 does!

Update: PDF search is working for the 2017 Manual
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2016 manual

2016 version still not worthy of the hardware, but vastly better than the 2014 version. Lots and lots of omissions; little details that would aid a new owner.

After 35 years as an engineer at IBM, I became pretty good at writing tech literature.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
After 35 years as an engineer at IBM, I became pretty good at writing tech literature.
Hah! You too, eh? I worked for them for 40 years!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Brought it home this evening

Drives like a dream. Lot easier than my big diesel pulling the 28. It was getting dark so I didn't try to back it all the way to my workshop where I have a 30a RV outlet. Too many low limbs to contend with. Tomorrow, I'll get out the ladder and the loppers and get rid of a lot of branches.

Hard to believe the weight of the satchel of manuals, etc. Ihe previous owner threw out nothing. I reduced the collection by a fair amount by pitching stuff that I'll never need. I sure don't need to carry an installation manual for the toilet, for instance. Still quite a pile.

Dragged just a tad coming into my driveway. My old 22' International would not drag if I drove past to the cul-de-sac to came into the drive from the other direction. I'll try that tomorrow.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Antioch , California
I got the 2014.5 lounge EXT since last June. I am new to RV and RVing and there is a big learning curve in understanding all the features, the shortcuts that airstream took, and things you have to watch. Since then I have upgraded the coach which is kinda fun to do, but I have also had to deal with roof leaks, blown out inverter, leaking water heater, detaching interior fake wood trim, annoying creaks and rattles (does any 2014 owner have annoying creaks from flexing of the plastic guards and steps at the sliding door area, the screws screwing them down get a little loose from road trip and squeaks get unbearable, I tighten them up which reduces the squeaking/flexing but it never fully goes away...I hate that the most, dealer said they retaped them down, but it didnt help) Curious if you guys have the creaking noise...once you notice it, it drives me crazy, although no one else in the car seems to complain. I try to drown it out with radio, but still can pick it up in my right ear while driving.

2452bayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If tightening the screws help but they don't stay tight, try removing them and using some Loctite on the threads.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote