Old 02-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Picking up my first 2014.5 Airstream 3500 lounge EXT

Hi, new member, buying my 1st Airstream Interstate ,2014.5 ,lounge,,preowned with 16,900 mi in Ohio from Dave Arbogast RVs

I will doing my pre-purchase inspection on Friday, haven't seen it yet, other then internet.
Any suggestions or heads up during the prepurchase phase will be appreciated.
Also any experience with Dealership??

RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

There's at least one thread here dealing ad nauseam w/ this very subject. It covers in great detail everything to questions to ask to video taping the entire inspection/operational training.

Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums and congrats on your purchase! You might have better luck searching for those referenced threads if you use Google rather than the internal search box, which tends to generate more non-specific returns. I've had times when I could not refer back to something via internal search, but then I found it externally. Example:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checklist.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	257266  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We bought a used AI from Arbogast. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and low pressure. They are a huge dealership (cars and RVs) with lots of different brands and are about a 40 minute drive from the Mother Ship in Jackson Center. For this reason you would think that they would be Airstream Interstate experts. I did quite a bit of Internet research prior to the purchase and I felt like I knew more about the AI than our salesperson (He was a good guy). I can understand it with all the brands and models they sell but what surprised me more was the RV tech that did my orientation was not intimately familiar with the specific details of the Interstate. He knew his way around RVs and was able to answer my questions eventually after flipping switches and trial and error. Take your time examining every item especially if it is out of warranty. Bring CD and DVD discs. We found out after we got home that one of the TVs wouldn't play DVDs. No other mechanical issues other than the ones that are inherent to all AIs. My dad told me that an RV is similar to a boat (a hole in the water that you throw money into) but we really enjoy the Bus. We have had a blast tailgating and are looking forward to an upcoming trip to FL.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Great, thanks for info, very helpful
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va

Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Great, thanks for info, very helpful
Mine (one year old 8,000 miles, used) had dead coach batteries that were artfully or accidentally hidden during the inspection. I would think this might be common for vehicles stored for a while on the lot without shore power.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
BUTLER , Pennsylvania

I have a 2014 ext lounge. LOVE IT. Have been in 42 states with it so far. Will finish all 49 this year.. After your orientation you will be confused about how everything works. After a few trips you start to get the hang of it.. It seems every time you go out you learn a little more about the coach. Arbogast is good. While on the road if you have any questions just call and they will have the answer.. The only thing I'd check would be the coach batteries.. They drain after extended non use and will go bad if they are not kept charged.. I had to replace mine... 2 batteries about $600.00 Not cheap. Other than that enjoy

BOBCONEYBEER is offline   Reply With Quote