Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Picking up 2013 interstate ext on friday

Thanks to everyone on this forum. I have learned so much in preparation for my pick up on friday. To say i am excited is an understatement. I have been looking for over a year, debated between airstream and roadtrek, and i think i will be thrilled with my decision. Looking forward to the adventure beginning. Of everthing i have read i am most concerned about finding the right diesel on the road. Is that an issue?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums! If you are in the contiguous United States, diesel should not be an issue. Just remember that not every green dispenser handle out there is diesel. Mistakes are possible, so read the pump label twice, pump once. Same idea as measure twice, cut once.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome, and congratulations on your purchase.

May you have many happy miles.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I have been around the USA twice in my 2014 (about 8,000 miles each trip) and I agree with InterBlog that diesel is not a big issue in the US. You do need to carefully read the labels on the pumps though because you do run in to a lot of BioDiesel. Your AI is certified to burn up to B5 Bio but I often run into B20 and up. Your AI has a very generous reserve so you should have plenty of range to find proper fuel.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I now have over 72,000 miles on my Interstate and have been in Canada every summer and once to Alaska. Diesel is actually easier to find in Canada and Alaska. Diesel in lower 48 is still not as common as gasoline and not every station had it. Sometimes the station just doesn't have diesel. There are two stations near my house that carry diesel. A few weeks ago both were out of diesel so I had to drive about 5 miles to find a station that had diesel.

I use a technique that was recommended when driving in Alaska. Once the gauge hits half I start looking for fuel. I recall the phrase was "drive on the top half of the tank". It had served me well over all the miles.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome and congrats! I use same gas method, just piece if mind. You will love traveling around our great country, Canada, and Mexico!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docevil View Post
Of everthing i have read i am most concerned about finding the right diesel on the road. Is that an issue?
You need to use diesel rated B5 (5% biodiesel) or less.

Love's Country Stores sell B20 almost exclusively, so I make a point to avoid them.

Also, you need ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel). All diesel sold for road use is ULSD. However, in rural areas where farm tractors and machinery also stock up with diesel, you may find pumps that dispense diesel for off-road use only, that may only be low-sulfur instead of ultra-low-sulfur. I've only encountered road-use and non-road-use diesel pumps side-by-side only in one place so far, in Alabama near Lake Claiborne, but accidentally almost buying the wrong one has made me wary of ever doing it again.

All diesel pumps are required by law to be marked with the biodiesel content and whether it is ULSD. Check the pump before you buy, and if it has the wrong markings— or no markings— don't buy.

Boxter's tip about looking for fuel before you reach half a tank is a good one. It's one I don't always follow, but I probably should.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Aliso viejo , California
Picking up 2013 interstate ext on friday

👍👍👍
Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You need to use diesel rated B5 (5% biodiesel) or less.

Love's Country Stores sell B20 almost exclusively, so I make a point to avoid them.
I must issue thanks because I did not know this, and it's relevant right now because, somewhat like the starship Enterprise, I've been plotting a future course using The Next Exit in part.

The Next Exit (2016 ed.) calls out Love's in bold 2-color logo format. It beckons to the eyeballs, jumping off the page and saying "stop here". Rest assured, I shall resist the pull.

Any others we should know about? Anyone?
Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I must issue thanks because I did not know this, and it's relevant right now because, somewhat like the starship Enterprise, I've been plotting a future course using The Next Exit in part.

The Next Exit (2016 ed.) calls out Love's in bold 2-color logo format. It beckons to the eyeballs, jumping off the page and saying "stop here". Rest assured, I shall resist the pull.
As far as I know the "B5 or less" restriction is only for the later models that have BlueTech engines that take DEF. A higher percentage of biodiesel screws up the EPA Tier-3-compliant exhaust treatment system and common rail fuel injection system. The older Interstates that don't require DEF are probably okay with B20 biodiesel. Check your owner's manual to be sure, though.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I use a technique that was recommended when driving in Alaska. Once the gauge hits half I start looking for fuel. I recall the phrase was "drive on the top half of the tank". It had served me well over all the miles.
As well as preventing shortfalls, theoretically that practice could also help guard against condensation in areas where the risk is higher. My husband chastises me if I let the tank get too low. Houston is all humidity, all the time. As I write this, relative humidity is 97% and dew point is 75 degrees (I checked). Allowing air space to persist in the diesel tank elevates the opportunity for condensation, and water is a diesel engine killer. It's better to have any dead space displaced by filling with fuel.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Allowing air space to persist in the diesel tank elevates the opportunity for condensation, and water is a diesel engine killer.
Actually, not so much condensation as you might think. In the old days when tanks were vented, that was true, because humidity could enter through the vent. But modern tanks are not vented, and the only time they're ever exposed to air is when the filler cap is off. Not leaving the cap off longer than necessary, and filling the tank completely (without "topping off" after the nozzle shuts off) every time you buy fuel, is the best defense against condensation in your fuel tank. Modern tanks don't have "air space", they have "vapor space." It's partly a safety thing— the void space in the tank has 100% vapor (theoretically) so the vapor percentage is always above the upper explosive limit, so tanks (gas or diesel) are less likely to go "boom."

Condensation is still an issue, but only condensation in the vented underground service station tanks, not so much your vehicle's fuel tank. Buying fuel at a place that has high turnover (i.e. they're busy) is your best precaution against condensation in the fuel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Filling the tank before you put the vehicle in storage is good practice. As a pilot I may over emphasize this point. General aviation aircraft have drain ports in the fuel tanks and pilots never fly anywhere without first sampling those ports for water. Having water freeze in your fuel lines can be catastrophic in a plane. It probably just means a blown head and an expensive repair on a diesel.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
Quote:
Welcome to Air Forums! If you are in the contiguous United States, diesel should not be an issue. Just remember that not every green dispenser handle out there is diesel. Mistakes are possible, so read the pump label twice, pump once. Same idea as measure twice, cut once.
So when I go to a pump that says diesel (ultra lower sulfur) and there is no mention of B5, B20 or biofuel I am safe. All pumps with B5, B20 or any biofuel have to be labeled that way. Is that correct?