Old 10-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
This past summer while shopping for a Class B we visited Advanced RV outside Cleveland. THey took us to lunch in their Class B MB Ext version and drove downtown to a nice restaurant in their suburb. Small, normal city-type street and backed into a double parking space that was open. He pulled it up into one spot. We had lunch and he was able to drive out with only 2 or 3 back and forward moves. BUT the most important thing to remember is the branches and signs that are close to the curbs and now with the Interstate the location of the propane valves in the back.

Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Skoonj View Post
I'm a new member and delighted to have found this active, informative forum. My thanks to you all in advance.

As a brand new owner of a 2013 Interstate I have a lot of kinks to work out. My current worry is: how do you deal with city parking? My RV is too long for a standard street parking space I believe, and too high for most indoor parking. I don't want to tow a car for town use. Does anyone have tips on finding lots or long parking spaces?
I have a truck camper which is roughly the same dimensions as your rig.

In my experience there is great variation in "city parking" so there is more than one answer.

In congested areas, like others, I have found that it is necessary to be picky and find a space that will accommodate an oversize vehicle. Usually this will work as long as the area isn't so congested that there are only a handful of spaces left. For on-street parking usually a stall at the end of the block will work, more because you can depend on the clearance to maneuver than because you actually have to overhang the next space.

I can only use surface lots which means parking a ways out from congested downtown areas. Often there is an unpaved area you can overhang on the front or rear. Obviously there are plenty of places you won't fit but in all but the most congested areas you should be able to find something.

Now, with my 30' trailer, it's much more difficult.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Morgan Hill , California
I'm grateful and impressed with the number of replies my query instigated. They were put to immediate use since we took the Interstate on a 2-day camping trip (no hookups or internet) on the day after posting. The following day we visited Carmel, California plus the Monterey Bay Aquarium in nearby Monterey.

Entering Carmel we followed signs for what seemed to be the only public parking lot. There a large sign, "No RVs", greeted us. Likewise down by the beach where we figured many campers would want to go. We wandered around a bit looking for an end-of-street space as forum respondents wisely advised. Bummer! In Carmel these are all marked off in red and reserved for business vehicles. Out of the town center we finally found street parking in a section where no markers were painted.

At the Aquarium, later on, we found a lot that accepted campers at double the price of cars. I argued that we wouldn't stick out much from an auto space. They then put me in an area where front-to-back parking was laid out for cars. The attendant assigned me the space at the front of the line so I couldn't be blocked in and charged me the auto rate. All in all things worked out, and I really feel I was buoyed by the experiences and advice people offered in the forum.

As one commenter suggested, I wouldn't take the RV to the center of a city like Chicago or New York. But a metropolis generally has good public transport and one can park near a station on the outskirts. However I do want to be able to visit a good restaurant or an attraction in a medium-size town. It was part of my thinking when I chose the 23-foot Interstate.
Skoonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Interesting.... In my opinion Carmel and Monterey are the premium of the premium spots along the California coast and the locals guard their territory against unwanted invaders! I have been able to park a mile or so inland (away from the coast) at supermarket and mall resorts, and then taken a bus to the attractions. And then moved away for the night.

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote