Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #113
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Airstream changed the design of the battery box on lounge models somewhere in 2011-2012.
I thought that was only on the extended models.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Airstream changed the design of the battery box on lounge models somewhere in 2011-2012. The earlier lounge models had the stacked battery box. Later lounge units have the curb side box accesible from rear wth slide out tray. I'd like to upgrade with two 6V AGMs for increased capaicty. Checking sizing now.

If the batts are relatively easy to access so you can check electrolyte levels occasionally, you might want to consider 6v FLAs. If you Google "AGM battery vs FLA" you will get lots of hits which point out the + & -s for you. In my mind they include:
  • FLAs are a cheaper than VRLAs or Gels or AGMs
  • Longer deep cycle life
  • Capable of high discharge rate
  • Perform better in hot climates
  • Available everywhere, worldwide
My experience with Trojan FLAs shows that the electrolyte levels don't drop very rapidly. But, I do check them every couple of weeks. In my Twin, it's easy to do. This is another reason I like the Twin vs the Lounge. It works well for the two of us but to each his/her own.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd also strongly recommend a good battery monitor so you can keep track of what's happening with your batteries and protect your $ investment.

Just FWIW! Let us know what you decide to do.

Wayne

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Anyone recommend a quality trickle charger for when I'm away for more than a week? A search on Amazon shows up hundreds, maybe thousands. I guess I need one that could cope with 6 volt batteries too if decide to swap to those in the future.
Thankfully my batteries are inside a pull-out tray at the rear. And they did install Lifelines.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I am confused. If you have power available for a trickle charger then why not just plug in the shore power cable? Or let the solar panel keep the batteries charged.

But to answer your question, I have had good luck with Deltran's battery tender for my jetski battery during the winner.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Anyone recommend a quality trickle charger for when I'm away for more than a week? A search on Amazon shows up hundreds, maybe thousands. I guess I need one that could cope with 6 volt batteries too if decide to swap to those in the future.
Thankfully my batteries are inside a pull-out tray at the rear. And they did install Lifelines.
I've had really good luck with the CTek chargers; I have 3 of them. Look here: CTEK Battery Chargers - The World's Smarter Battery Charger
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I am confused. If you have power available for a trickle charger then why not just plug in the shore power cable? Or let the solar panel keep the batteries charged.

But to answer your question, I have had good luck with Deltran's battery tender for my jetski battery during the winner.
The CTek chargers I use do a better job of maintaining the batteries in long term storage than the relatively simple 3 stage charger in the Tripp-Lite in my rig. I don't know how well suited the Magnum charger/inverter units are for long term storage.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
It's parked in a garage at home so no solar charging. And I'm told (by Airstream and my local dealer) that I shouldn't use shore power for extended periods: they say that will also kill my batteries. They told me to pull out the tray and connect up a trickle charger.
As I've already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, even with the battery disconnect switch, I still get a parasitic draw, so I need a trickle charge whenever I go away for more than a week or so.
It's been pretty frustrating so far.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wish AS would get their story straight. I was told it was no problem to leave on shore power. Will check again.

Found nothing in the owner's manual (2011 model) addressing this issue.

Did read that the 30A/20A switch is supposed to actually do that. Mine doesn't. Also it states that the house battery will be used to start the chassis engine if the chassis battery is down. But a Protag has pointed out in another thread, the manual is full of errors.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
This is what the 2014 Owner's Manual says:

When storing your Interstate and leaving the house batteries in place it is recommended that the vehicle be plugged into a 110 volt 30 amp shoreline connection for 24 to 48 hours every 30 days. This procedure will properly maintain the battery charge and extend it’s life. DO NOT leave the vehicle continually plugged in and unattended while in storage.

Unfortunately this is way too optimistic: my batteries are completely depleted after one week with the isolated switch enabled, and everything else manually turned off.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:

When storing your Interstate and leaving the house batteries in place it is recommended that the vehicle be plugged into a 110 volt 30 amp shoreline connection for 24 to 48 hours every 30 days. This procedure will properly maintain the battery charge and extend itís life. DO NOT leave the vehicle continually plugged in and unattended while in storage.

Unfortunately this is way too optimistic: my batteries are completely depleted after one week with the isolated switch enabled, and everything else manually turned off.
What do you mean by "completely depleted"? Are you saying this based on the voltage displayed on the little monitor supplied by Airstream? If yes, what voltage are you seeing?
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
I'm referring to the Solar panel monitor display which displays the battery percentage. And I'm aware that 0% in true terms is less than or equal to 10.8V. However, the bottom line for me is that on 2 occasions after returning from a 2-week trip, everything in the coach was "dead" - meaning no power to even light a single led.
To me that is unacceptable. Isn't the battery isolator supposed to prevent that?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #124
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Isn't the battery isolator supposed to prevent that?
The Battery Isolation Module only disconnects the house system from the chassis system to prevent both from being dragged down together, and reconnects them when the engine is running to allow both sets of batteries to charge from the alternator. The BIM has nothing to do with preventing the house batteries from being depleted by powered-up house systems.

For that, you've got to use the disconnect switch that shuts off battery power to MOST of the house systems. But some house systems can't be disconnected from the batteries (such as the solar panel's charge controller, which runs off the batteries, not off the solar panel itself) so there's always SOME parasitic drain. Ideally, the parasitic drains you can't shut off will be low enough that the solar panel (or whatever charger you use in its place) will keep up with them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

When storing your Interstate and leaving the house batteries in place it is recommended that the vehicle be plugged into a 110 volt 30 amp shoreline connection for 24 to 48 hours every 30 days. This procedure will properly maintain the battery charge and extend itís life. DO NOT leave the vehicle continually plugged in and unattended while in storage.

I finally found it in my manual. I doubt that would keep the batteries up. Unless there's something wrong w/ the way the Tripp-Lite charges, not sure why one can't leave shore power connected.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I finally found it in my manual. I doubt that would keep the batteries up. Unless there's something wrong w/ the way the Tripp-Lite charges, not sure why one can't leave shore power connected.
I agree. I have the Magnum Inverter/Charger and since I see some rave reviews on it, would have thought it can also provide the required trickle charge.
BTW, Protag, poor choice of words on my part. I meant to say I'm using the disconnect switch, not the battery isolator.