Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
If your thinking Lithium Ion, this guy put them in his old GMC bus/RV conversion, details a lot of the ins and outs on his blog, pretty interesting:
Cost Analysis of Lithium Ion Battery Systems for RVs | Technomadia

These are the batteries he used, more than twice what you will pay for a good deep cycle AGM but given the life expectancy of Li-Ion actually cheaper in the long run:
Elite Power Solutions

I just replaced my house batteries which I am going to detail in a new thread soon. I almost took the plunge and went Li-Ion but decided to wait 5 years and do it next time. Assuming I have not switched to a different RV by then. Here is my perfect "extended ops" option:
http://www.earthroamer.com/wp-conten...ads/wp/1/3.jpg
http://www.earthroamer.com/wp-conten...ads/wp/1/3.jpg

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Hey Russ,

I think we're on the same wavelength. I also looked at the same Li Ion review site and I also considered the Earthroamer. I haven't seen them in person yet, but I'm leaning towards the GXV Pangea-LT at this time. I'll let GXV iron out all the bugs first though, because this is a new model for them
David

Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
one but not both

I am becoming less and less pleased with the service department of the place where I bought my unit. First before I picked up the unit, or to be more precise while I was trying to pick it up,they replace the kenwood Nav/entertainment center and made a complete hash of it. By the way if you are in the portland oregon area I can highly recommend Mobile West, great service and well acquainted with Kenwood and Sprinters. Now this weekend, while out and staying at a full hook up RV park, I got a wild hair and decided I had to look into that battery box. I found that they did indeed replaced one battery but there are two for sure.I was told by the service writer that he talked to the service tech and was told the service tech had looked and there was only one, in fact he continued to say that the outside outlets were in the way and would prevent there being a second. I, in my cynical ways, am sure they decided that they didn't want to fork out for two and the could slap in the type 24 74 amp hour low end interstate brand battery, and how would I ever know. Anyway this long sad story is to ask if any one knows the brand and size of the factory house batteries interstate uses ?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #102
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
Anyway this long sad story is to ask if any one knows the brand and size of the factory house batteries interstate uses ?
It probably varies depending on what's available at the time. Mine are Discover Energy Corp. EV24-24 AGM traction batteries (traction batteries are designed for use in electric forklifts and other electric vehicles).
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Mine came with (I think) the same batteries as Protag has. Mine are Discover EV24A-A AGMs; 84 Ah each for a total of 168 Ah. About a year ago I switched to a pair of 6v Trojan T125 Plus batteries. They give me 240 Ah so I got about 43% bump in capacity. So far I'm pleased with the change.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
After flattening my house batteries a couple of times I had my service center (I won't say dealer since they are Airstream factory service only, no sales ... I had to go out of state to buy mine) test them while it was in having the the solar controller and BIM replaced and he said they were damaged. Don't know what brand they were since I never laid eyes on them unfortunately. Anyhow, the replacement batteries (which cost me $115 each ... that low price should have been a warning sign) never performed well. When I finally dug into the problem myself I discovered that while they were AGM batteries, there were NOT deep cycle. He put in a pair of marine starting batteries. I just pulled them and put in a pair Lifeline GPL-24T 's last week ($515 for the pair, shipped ... I highly recommend Marc at Centex battery BTW). The starting batteries seemed really light so I weighed them .... 36 lbs. Vs the Lifelines at 57. Weight equals power.

I like the idea of what wayneskid did, but I was not ready to figure out my own mounts and cables. Some day I may look into putting on a much bigger alternator, a 3 or 4k watt sine wave inverter and a big battery bank where the spare is now so I can run the roof top air while in motion without firing the generator. Or I could just buy and E-Trek.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
Trojan T125

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Mine came with (I think) the same batteries as Protag has. Mine are Discover EV24A-A AGMs; 84 Ah each for a total of 168 Ah. About a year ago I switched to a pair of 6v Trojan T125 Plus batteries. They give me 240 Ah so I got about 43% bump in capacity. So far I'm pleased with the change.
those are great batteries I have used the for years as house batteries on myt boat. But those are "wet Cells" I think arebt you going to have to get in there and check the water now and again?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Nope. From their user instructions:
Maintenance Free-
With proper charging, Lifeline Batteries require no maintenance. Lifeline Batteries do NOT accept addition of water nor do they corrode their surroundings.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Nope. From their user instructions:
Maintenance Free-
With proper charging, Lifeline Batteries require no maintenance. Lifeline Batteries do NOT accept addition of water nor do they corrode their surroundings.
Russ,

Bennu is talking about my Trojan FLA batteries not Lifeline AGMs. Yes, you definitely do have to check the electrolyte level regularly. This is one of many reasons I like the Twin configuration vs. the Lounge. My batteries are easily accessible under the roadside bed so it's a snap to check them. I check them every couple of weeks and rarely add water to any cells. The Lounge models have the batteries stacked one on top of the other which makes any battery activity a real pain. At least that's what I understand.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:

Russ,

Bennu is talking about my Trojan FLA batteries not Lifeline AGMs. Yes, you definitely do have to check the electrolyte level regularly. This is one of many reasons I like the Twin configuration vs. the Lounge. My batteries are easily accessible under the roadside bed so it's a snap to check them. I check them every couple of weeks and rarely add water to any cells. The Lounge models have the batteries stacked one on top of the other which makes any battery activity a real pain. At least that's what I understand.
Hi Wayne,
I haven't opened my battery box yet, but I heard that there is a battery tray that can be pulled out the back of the Interstate on the extended lounge model (not stacked on top of the other). I hope this is true so I can upgrade my solar charge controller.
David
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Russ,

Bennu is talking about my Trojan FLA batteries not Lifeline AGMs.
Whoops! Somehow I failed to read his quote. Sorry

David, looking at the pic that Mike (Boxster1971) posted in the Magnum inverter thread I can't quiet tell but it looks like the battery box is different than in my short version. A slide out box would be a huge improvement. Taking the rear seat cushions out is a snap but getting the batteries in and out of that well is a pain. I'll attach a pic of my battery box so you can compare it to his pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery box with rear cushions removed.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	194870  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #110
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
On my 14 ext the box is curbside under lounge, 4 screws, remove the cover to box and the tray slides out. I didn't pull it all the way out, it's a very tight fit, and the cables don't flex too well; but it was pretty easy to get access to.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #111
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
On my 14 ext the box is curbside under lounge, 4 screws, remove the cover to box and the tray slides out. I didn't pull it all the way out, it's a very tight fit, and the cables don't flex too well; but it was pretty easy to get access to.
To clarify - remover the cover from the BACK, not the top. Lounge itself is not required to be removed.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Airstream changed the design of the battery box on lounge models somewhere in 2011-2012. The earlier lounge models had the stacked battery box. Later lounge units have the curb side box accesible from rear wth slide out tray. I'd like to upgrade with two 6V AGMs for increased capaicty. Checking sizing now.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote