Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #81
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
So as advised, I operated laptop on internal battery as long as I could (5 hrs) turned off antenna amp and router ( plugged phone into laptop for wifi) and still used HDMI on TV as 2nd monitor, ran maxxfan to keep temp under 80 and batteries lasted full 2 days in bright sun with the factory 50w solar. Ran water pump and took 4 showers ( wife and I, no AC required showers ) during the two days and ran 12v fan at night.

So without generator I was able to operate for two full days and be at 60% beginning of day 3 (recharged laptop in mother-in-laws house overnight)

So while not FLOCKER. HQ, I'm able to keep quiet most of the day and run two full days - acceptable in my book.

Thanks to everyone for tips on prolonging ops

Just for reference: what would you recommend for extended ops, shopping list and estimate - BTW: I am 3 hours from any AS dealer. Bumping to 200 watt, etc.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Just for reference: what would you recommend for extended ops, shopping list and estimate - BTW: I am 3 hours from any AS dealer. Bumping to 200 watt, etc.
Here's what I'm considering for extended ops

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2470855684.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	194548
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
If your serious it might be easier to buy this one in the states Click image for larger version

Name:	GXV RV.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	194577
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Very cool. I've got an old installation on my roof that has no documentation of any kind - I am guessing that the panel is putting out between 80 and 100 watts.

Everything works, the wiring is in place so next year I'll be adding another 300 Watts to the current setup.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
If your serious it might be easier to buy this one in the states
Yep, that's my other option! They're both about the same price at ~$230K
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #86
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Haven't any of you been to my website www.militaryatv.com. I've got the apocalypse covered. Just looking for 24 hrs more juice. Lol.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Haven't any of you been to my website www.militaryatv.com. I've got the apocalypse covered. Just looking for 24 hrs more juice. Lol.
I haven't seen your website. Very nice! I retired from a major arms manufacturer and one of my employees tried to save the govt money by getting one of our products on the GSA schedule, but the govt kept changing the definition of "commercially available" so we were denied. Back to the topic on hand. Other than adding more solar power, a second high output alternator, and additional batteries (or switching to lithium batteries), I don't see a practical way of getting 24 hours more juice. I briefly looked into EFOY fuel cells, but determined that it was too cost prohibitive. There's also limited space in our Interstates for additional batteries which is why I'm considering the Earcruiser or GXV's Pangea LT.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Oops, I meant "Earthcruiser". And BTW, these are now available in the US.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There's also limited space in our Interstates for additional batteries which is why I'm considering the Earcruiser or GXV's Pangea LT.
If you have an extended model Interstate, with the additional storage below floor level in back, you've got PLENTY of room for more batteries, inside that compartment. You might have to cut a vent hole in side, but you can partition the storage space so that the side closest to your existing house batteries is used for more house batteries, while still keeping a little bit of storage space for storage.

Another way you might be able to get more available amp-hours would be to switch over to two six-volt batteries in series, instead of two twelve-volt batteries in parallel.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Good point Protagonist. I thought of that too, but for some reason, I haven't taken measurements in that rear storage compartment to see if 2 batteries would fit yet. I may do that soon
Old 08-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #91
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Thanks David. - COTS as they like to call it is a funny thing. We just make the ATVs available to civilians, there just prohibitively expensive. Have sold a few up fits to some ranchers on the border, that's about it.

Main business is the bike shop World of Powersports, and my web services at motorcycledealer.com an motorcycleinventory.com.

I came to same conclusions while researching last week. Biggest issue is my motherinlaw's house is still on 60 Amp Fuse box so plugging in there, while possible, creates problems, and the Jenny isn't very noise friendly in a driveway 10' from the living room window. (She is now 80, and trips from IL to NC were #1 reason for getting the Sprinter- and I've always wanted an Airstream)

May look at adding a muffler (rather than just resonator) to Jenny and see if I can reduce noise signature. We have some nice chrome pipes laying around that we took off some old Honda motorcycles. Not sure if added back pressure will affect performance (comments?)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #92

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Good point Protagonist. I thought of that too, but for some reason, I haven't taken measurements in that rear storage compartment to see if 2 batteries would fit yet. I may do that soon
Even if only one battery will fit, that bumps you up to three house batteries for a 50% increase in usable amp-hours.

But possibly longer charge times, too.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
There was a thread not too long ago about a resonator made by Cummings, but I'm not sure how quieter it will be. But it is on my list as well.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #94
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
We use lithium iron batteries in our LTATV for military, I may look at something there. We run 6 to get 15A out and have 24v capability for NATO applications.

I'm sure one of the EE I work with can figure it out. With enough time, money and desire we can accomplish anything.

(Problem is I'm normally lacking one of the three so some things just go undone)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
With enough time, money and desire we can accomplish anything.

(Problem is I'm normally lacking one of the three so some things just go undone)
Too funny!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #96

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
We use lithium iron batteries in our LTATV for military, I may look at something there. We run 6 to get 15A out and have 24v capability for NATO applications.

I'm sure one of the EE I work with can figure it out. With enough time, money and desire we can accomplish anything.

Lucky devil! You can buy your Li-Ion batteries wholesale, and save a bundle compared to the rest of us. They ain't cheap, by any means!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #97
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Lucky devil! You can buy your Li-Ion batteries wholesale, and save a bundle compared to the rest of us.
Anyone needing motorcycle or ATV items PM me, I'll take care of ya!

Funny thing - margins are normally around 30% but with Amazon I find that I can buy some items Maybe not LiFePO batteries). It's nuts!

Also note that we use LiFePO batteries, not Lithium-ion.

Six of these will easily fit where one 12v house battery is so room for about 12 of these in rear right corner of EXT if needed.

They require a special charger, and my cost about $150 each so ill really need to consider the benefits.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #98

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Also note that we use LiFePO batteries, not Lithium-ion.
Old eyes strike again! Your post said "Iron" but somehow I read it as "Ion."

Looks like I'll have to give up my night job as a proofreader!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
If your thinking Lithium Ion, this guy put them in his old GMC bus/RV conversion, details a lot of the ins and outs on his blog, pretty interesting:
Cost Analysis of Lithium Ion Battery Systems for RVs | Technomadia

These are the batteries he used, more than twice what you will pay for a good deep cycle AGM but given the life expectancy of Li-Ion actually cheaper in the long run:
Elite Power Solutions

I just replaced my house batteries which I am going to detail in a new thread soon. I almost took the plunge and went Li-Ion but decided to wait 5 years and do it next time. Assuming I have not switched to a different RV by then. Here is my perfect "extended ops" option:
http://www.earthroamer.com/wp-conten...ads/wp/1/3.jpg
http://www.earthroamer.com/wp-conten...ads/wp/1/3.jpg
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Hey Russ,

I think we're on the same wavelength. I also looked at the same Li Ion review site and I also considered the Earthroamer. I haven't seen them in person yet, but I'm leaning towards the GXV Pangea-LT at this time. I'll let GXV iron out all the bugs first though, because this is a new model for them
David