Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #57
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Protag - the Magnum appears to be quite different in it operation from the Tripplite and as far as I can judge, the wiring and what gets disabled when you disable the batteries with the remote switch are now different.
So I'm not sure you can compare them this way.
You're probably right. But hopefully I've at least given you something else to check in your quest for the battery-eater.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Don't ever deal with Dan. If you get Dan, hang up. Talk to Randy McNeely. Dan's lazy response is take it to a dealer. He refused to send me a failed backup monitor and insisted I take it for a ten hour there and back drive to a dealer for replacement. I bought one on eBay for $30 instead. When I protested, he actually said if it was a Ford, you would have to take it to a dealer. Yeah, like there is an Airstream dealer nearby in every town in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Referring back to my post on this thread from 07/06/13, where I mentioned my coach batteries do discharge over several days even though they are disabled…
I have further information which may be of use to anyone with the 2014 updates, i.e. Magnum Inverter and Panel, etc…

I have noted that with the batteries disabled, the Solenoid for propane is also off; the antenna amplifier is off (green light goes off), and the LP detector green light goes off.

What does bother me are the following:

1) The Magnum Remote Control panel still has power.
2) The SunExplorer panel has power (but may be OK)
3) The tank capacity display has power and does indicate the contents of all tanks. *It also displays the chassis battery volts but not the coach batteries.
4) Trying all the switches around the interior, the tank heater switch still functions with coach batteries disabled. This was another surprise.*

I flipped off all the fuses in the box under the rear seat, and that made no difference.

You may not notice this if you park outside since the solar change may be enough to compensate, but I park inside.

I think there's a wiring issue, and I'm wondering if it may be because my 2013 model was at the front of the line with the 2014 upgrades, and they didn't get it all right!

With the Magnum Remote Control panel having power it suggests the Inverter also has power, and that may be at the root of it.

I have been in contact with Dan at Airstream and frankly, not got very far. He has said Airstream will work with the dealer to resolve this.
A Corporate response if ever there was one.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
So I finally got my solar panels installed, and I am very happy. I had 2 100w AM Solar panels installed as recommend by Lewster. I had the 1st panel installed where the factory 50w panel was, and the 2nd panel was installed in front of the Maxxfan. As you can see, they were a perfect fit. The factory panel would only provide 2.8A and now I get 11.2A. I street camped (dry) yesterday, watching TV until late, and the batteries were fully charged by 9 the next morning. I may not have to plug in again parked at night in the driveway. Yay!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
So I finally got my solar panels installed, and I am very happy. I had 2 100w AM Solar panels installed as recommend by Lewster. I had the 1st panel installed where the factory 50w panel was, and the 2nd panel was installed in front of the Maxxfan. As you can see, they were a perfect fit. The factory panel would only provide 2.8A and now I get 11.2A. I street camped (dry) yesterday, watching TV until late, and the batteries were fully charged by 9 the next morning. I may not have to plug in again parked at night in the driveway. Yay!!!
Oops, forgot the pictures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4201140107.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	193772

Name:	image-2739146667.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	193773

Name:	image-3906516033.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	193774
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
David,

Looks nice! Which panel did you get? Which controller did you get? Who installed the system? What was the total cost?

Thanks,
Wayne S.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
David,

Looks nice! Which panel did you get? Which controller did you get? Who installed the system? What was the total cost?

Thanks,
Wayne S.
Hello Wayne,
The panels are AM Solar GS100 (link provided by Lewster way up above). I had them mounted by my AS dealer in Corona CA (Southwest Coaches) who said that the existing charge controller was adequate (we'll see, I guess). So it was a relatively inexpensive upgrade. The panels and installation kit was $764 and installation was $215. Totally satisfied so far. Hope that helps.
David M
Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Did they just connect them in parallel and then to original wiring?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Charge Controller Update?

Quote:
Hello Wayne,
The panels are AM Solar GS100 (link provided by Lewster way up above). I had them mounted by my AS dealer in Corona CA (Southwest Coaches) who said that the existing charge controller was adequate (we'll see, I guess). So it was a relatively inexpensive upgrade. The panels and installation kit was $764 and installation was $215. Totally satisfied so far. Hope that helps.
David M
David -- very nice install. You have inspired me to do the same thing and maybe try to squeeze a third panel behind the TV antenna. With that much solar power we may need to update the controller as Lew Faber (Lewster) recommended earlier in this thread:

"• your solar charge controller needs to be replaced with a fully operational 3-stage charging unit capable of sending at least 14.2 VDC (temperature dependent) to your house batteries"
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Did they just connect them in parallel and then to original wiring?
Yes, they just connected the panels in parallel to the original wiring.

I haven't taken any measurements, but a third one might fit behind the TV antenna.

And yes, I'd like to look into getting a better charge controller. I'll have to go back up this thread and look at the controller that Lewster recommended.

David
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post

David -- very nice install. You have inspired me to do the same thing and maybe try to squeeze a third panel behind the TV antenna. With that much solar power we may need to update the controller as Lew Faber (Lewster) recommended earlier in this thread:

"• your solar charge controller needs to be replaced with a fully operational 3-stage charging unit capable of sending at least 14.2 VDC (temperature dependent) to your house batteries"
Thank you for your kind words. Regarding the charge controller, don't we already have a multi stage charger? I thought the Tripp-Lite has a 3 stage charger built in and the new Magnum inverter has a 4 stage charger?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #67

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. Regarding the charge controller, don't we already have a multi stage charger? I thought the Tripp-Lite has a 3 stage charger built in and the new Magnum inverter has a 4 stage charger?
The solar panels are generally wired— through their own charge controller— directly to the house batteries, so that the batteries can charge even while the unit is in storage with everything else switched off. Going through the inverter/charger would mean that you'd need the use/store switch on "Use" and the inverter/charger on "charge only" in order for the solar panels to charge.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

The solar panels are generally wired— through their own charge controller— directly to the house batteries, so that the batteries can charge even while the unit is in storage with everything else switched off. Going through the inverter/charger would mean that you'd need the use/store switch on "Use" and the inverter/charger on "charge only" in order for the solar panels to charge.
Thanks protagonist.
Do you know what make and model charge controller is in our Interstates? I went through all the papers I got in the AS bag/case, and didn't see anything regarding charge controllers. Also, do you know where they hide the controller itself?
Thanks,
David
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Do you know what make and model charge controller is in our Interstates? I went through all the papers I got in the AS bag/case, and didn't see anything regarding charge controllers. Also, do you know where they hide the controller itself?
Not sure. Some panels have integrated charge controllers, built into the panel itself. Multiple-panel installations most often use a separate controller that all the panels feed into, and that would probably be somewhere behind the face of the control panel enclosure.

Really small panels may not even have a charge controller, instead feeding raw DC current to the batteries, but they don't put out much amperage to begin with. The factory 50w panel may fall in that category, since it only puts out enough for a trickle or float charge anyway.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks protagonist.
Thanks,
David
Hello David, if you have the Interstate with the 2014 upgrade, like mine, your solar charge controller is a Sunexplorer PVCM25D made by Atkinson Electronics, Inc.
Thank.....Peter