Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Update: After leaving the coach plugged into shore power all weekend, the panel showed 100% this morning! I'm so exited as I've never seen this before. It looks like you were all correct in that I just needed to leave it plugged in for a few days. ..............Airstream Los Angeles is taking physical measurements of the real estate on top of their Interstate on their lot to see if a second panel can be mounted. If not, I may have to simply replace the existing panel with the highest wattage panel I can find.
David
And, you know, you can just plug it in over the weekend or whenever, to top your batteries off. Or, you can buy all these expensive add-ons to avoid ever plugging in to electricity.

If you are traveling any distance during the day, you will charge your battery. If you are fully charged and then parked for days at a time without electric, your solar panels will extend your stay quite a bit, as I understand it.

Given the size of Interstate holding tanks, if dry-camping we need to drive to dump and refill with fresh water after 4-5 days, anyway, even with the most conservative usage. Not to mention the dorm-sized frig, which also needs to be replenished.

Be thoughtful about all the extras, folks, IMO. Think about what you are going to use your Interstate for and then plan accordingly.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Thanks Maggie. All good points. I haven't gone on any trips yet because I just retired (early) effective 1 Jun 2013; I just recently got the Airstream; and I'm still gathering camping supplies (we haven't gone camping in over 25 years). I just didn't want to run out of juice prematurely on our first dry camp
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks Maggie. All good points. I haven't gone on any trips yet because I just retired (early) effective 1 Jun 2013; I just recently got the Airstream; and I'm still gathering camping supplies (we haven't gone camping in over 25 years). I just didn't want to run out of juice prematurely on our first dry camp
If you leave fully charged, and use those solar panels, you should be fine for 4-5 days, at least.

What you are likely to need first is fresh water and to empty your tanks.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Oh, one more newbie question: do you leave your inverter switch on "Line/Charge Only" on a daily basis and only switch to "Auto/Invert" when you're unplugged and need 110v? Up until now, I've just left it on Auto/Invert. Maybe that was part of my problem too.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Oh, one more newbie question: do you leave your inverter switch on "Line/Charge Only" on a daily basis and only switch to "Auto/Invert" when you're unplugged and need 110v? Up until now, I've just left it on Auto/Invert. Maybe that was part of my problem too.
Having depleted my batteries severely early on due to not being able to track down all of the parasitic drains, I've gotten into the habit of switching the inverter/charger completely off, using the three-position switch on the front of the inverter, when the unit is stored. It's not needed for the solar panel, which is wired separately, and by having it switched completely off, it's not drawing power itself (for its cooling fan, etc.) either.

The remote panel in the overhead locker doesn't allow you to switch the inverter/charger completely off, so if that's the control you're using, set it to line/charge in storage. If you leave it on auto/invert, you may find that certain appliances (such as your televisions) remain powered even when the battery disconnect switch is off. Of course, that also depends on what you do with the circuit breakers while in storage, too.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
For longer storage we also disconnect the chassis battery utilizing the 'battery-cut-off' plug located to the upper right of accelerator pedal. My oversight cost me the battery.
Road Jager
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
For storage longer than a month, I use smart chargers from CTek. I use a MultiUS 3300 (4 step) for the Sprinter battery and leave the battery connected. Due to the higher capacity of the coach batteries I use a MultiUS 7200 (8 step) for those. I do disconnect the coach batteries but probably don't need to. I have left the Interstate unattended for up to 6 months at a time and find my batts in perfect condition when I'm ready to roll. MB, Audi, Lamborghini, BMW and Maserati sell these (rebranded) and I've found them to be excellent. See CTEK Battery Chargers - The World's Smarter Battery Charger
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are the ancients here.

Our Interstate has a "use/store" switch, which we set to "use" anytime we are plugged in to electricity (to charge) or when driving, dry camping, etc., to use the power from the battery.

We switch to "store" when the Interstate is not in use, and this prevents ongoing discharge of the batteries by anything. You can't use a light, the water pump, etc., when set this way.

The first thing we do when we plug in prior to a trip is to switch the battery on. It doesn't go to store until we return home.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #29

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
For storage longer than a month, I use smart chargers from CTek. I use a MultiUS 3300 (4 step) for the Sprinter battery and leave the battery connected. Due to the higher capacity of the coach batteries I use a MultiUS 7200 (8 step) for those. I do disconnect the coach batteries but probably don't need to. I have left the Interstate unattended for up to 6 months at a time and find my batts in perfect condition when I'm ready to roll. MB, Audi, Lamborghini, BMW and Maserati sell these (rebranded) and I've found them to be excellent. See CTEK Battery Chargers - The World's Smarter Battery Charger
Looks like a good product. I'm just hampered by the fact that, as an apartment dweller with no reserved parking spaces, I've got no place to plug in my Interstate when not using it. On those (generally rare) occasions that the chassis battery gets depleted by my alarm system, I rely on my other car to provide a jump start. At least until I can get to the MB dealer and get an auxiliary chassis battery installed in my Interstate.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #30

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Solar charging via the Atkinson controller used in my Interstate stops at 13.9 Volts. There is no 3-stage charging from this charge controller and it doesn't even start charging until the battery voltage is at 12.4V or below 75%. In my opinion Airstream did not install a quality multi-stage solar charge controller.
Among the multitude of documents that came with my 2013 Interstate is one that specifically states the solar panel is meant to maintain the battery charge level but not charge the house batteries. Given the size and relatively small output of the solar panel calling it a charger seems to me misleading. It isn't capable of generating a high enough voltage to fully charge the batteries so a three stage controller would be pointless.
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
True, but 13.9 VDC Is not a maintenance charge. Depending on the specific battery, a float or maintenance charge should be 13.2 - 13.5 VDC at 75* F.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
I don't store my Interstate because, as stated earlier, I use mine as a daily driver. I think what I'm going to do is to keep the inverter switch on "Line/Charge Only" and switch to "Auto/Invert" only when I need AC. Line/Charge still lets me use the lights, fridg, water pump, furnace, and radio, but yet retains my house batteries much longer. The only time I would switch over is to watch TV. I'd have to be plugged in or on generator to use the AC and microwave anyway. And as Maggie and others have stated, I'll plug it into shore power for a couple days prior to a trip to fully charge the batteries. I'm still waiting for a return call from Airstream LA, but if space will not allow for a second solar panel, I will replace the existing one with the highest wattage panel I can find. Thanks all for your inputs!
David
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Oh, and does anyone know of the chassis battery charges when plugged into shore power?
Thanks,
David
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Oh, and does anyone know of the chassis battery charges when plugged into shore power?
Thanks,
David
Yes, it does. On my 2010 anyway.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
I called Airstream LA today and they said that they can replace the existing solar panel with a 95w panel and put another one in front of the fan. I didn't get the name of the panel, but they quoted $1200 out the door ($574 each for the panel plus labor and tax). This seems high to me so I'm going to research if this is something I can do myself. I will look into the panel that Lewster recommended and see if that will physically fit in the space I have. So the hunt is on...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
I called Airstream LA today and they said that they can replace the existing solar panel with a 95w panel and put another one in front of the fan. I didn't get the name of the panel, but they quoted $1200 out the door ($574 each for the panel plus labor and tax). This seems high to me so I'm going to research if this is something I can do myself. I will look into the panel that Lewster recommended and see if that will physically fit in the space I have. So the hunt is on...
These are the panels that you need: WGS100 Solar Panel Kit | Solar Panel Kits
I have 5 on my Sprinter. They fit easily across the roof anywhere you have 21" of longitudinal space and the full width of roof access.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
These are the panels that you need: WGS100 Solar Panel Kit | Solar Panel Kits
I have 5 on my Sprinter. They fit easily across the roof anywhere you have 21" of longitudinal space and the full width of roof access.
These look like nice panels for sure but you're not going to find room for 5 of them on an Interstate! I'm not even sure there is room for one.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
These look like nice panels for sure but you're not going to find room for 5 of them on an Interstate! I'm not even sure there is room for one.
These are the smallest, lightest 100 watt panels currently available. If you have 21" of roof space anywhere on your roof, you can use one or two. If you look at my avatar, you will see that my Sprinter roof is covered with them, as the roof was otherwise unobstructed.

Total space requires (including mounting feet) is 21" X 41" @ 15.5 lbs
Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
[QUOTE=Protagonist;1313074]I had a problem when I first got my Interstate. Could not figure out the source of the parasitic draw. In my research and experimentation, here's what I found…

4 - You have to make sure the antenna amplifier is turned off. That draws quite a bit, too, though I don't know exactly how much.

just where do you turn off that amp ?
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
[QUOTE=bennu36;1337698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
4 - You have to make sure the antenna amplifier is turned off. That draws quite a bit, too, though I don't know exactly how much.

just where do you turn off that amp ?
It's in the overhead bin over the driver's/front passenger seats, on the side wall on the driver's side. There's a 12v outlet up there, and a 120vAC outlet that the front television is plugged into. There's also a little pushbutton that lights up green when the antenna amp is on. Be careful, though, because it's very close to the 12v outlet.