Old 05-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Overriding Black Tank E Valve

Have 2014 AI constipation today. Black tank full and my electronic dump valve is not operating. Book says on G-16 that an override screw can be turned on the side of the valve. I have looked all over it and cannot find the manual screw to open the valve, albeit it isn't in the easiest spot to look it over. Anyone actually use the manual valve that can guide me to it?

Old 05-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I'll post a diagram when I get home later today. Have you checked the fuse for the dump valves?

Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Here is diagram for manual operation of the Drain Master electric dump valves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DrainMaster man_override_image.pdf (51.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
AI owner since June 2013

Lake Mary , Florida
Thanks for the reply. I apparently have a different drain valve. Mine is called Auto Drain from a Barker MFG. I actually had this very unit replaced in March due to a road bump that busted the initial one. When my drain valve would not operate yesterday, I checked underneath to find my e valve was disconnected - the wiring harness was disconnected. I connected it back up. No go, so I checked the fuse, which was blown. I replaced the fuse but the e valve is still not working. I am thinking now that Airstream replaced the OEM and that mine does not have a manual override. I guess I will check with Chris at Airstream on Tuesday. My rig was one of the first out the door at Jackson Center of the 2014 model year Interstates.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
AI owner since June 2013

Lake Mary , Florida
Update - Boxter1971's post with the drain valve PDF did help in the end. Although I have a different e valve, it gave me the idea to look on the OEM website of my valve (AutoDrain by Baxter MFG.) to see if they had schematics or instructions about their valve. Lo and behold they did. I will attach the PDF to the post if someone can tell me how to do that - I do not see the typical link to attach files. Opening the drain manually was a little more involved than just turning a screw, but just barely. Removing two screws where the e valve attaches to the frame allowed the valve to work free in and out manually, opening and then closing the valve. One lesson learned - it is easier to reach the valve under the rig from the passenger side and I had to get that side lifted up a few inches to have enough clearance to get to it with tools.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBucki View Post
One lesson learned - it is easier to reach the valve under the rig from the passenger side and I had to get that side lifted up a few inches to have enough clearance to get to it with tools.
One reason I carry leveling blocks and chocks in my Interstate. Much safer for elevating a side or end than using a jack.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBucki View Post
Update - Boxter1971's post with the drain valve PDF did help in the end. Although I have a different e valve, it gave me the idea to look on the OEM website of my valve (AutoDrain by Baxter MFG.) to see if they had schematics or instructions about their valve. Lo and behold they did. I will attach the PDF to the post if someone can tell me how to do that - I do not see the typical link to attach files. Opening the drain manually was a little more involved than just turning a screw, but just barely. Removing two screws where the e valve attaches to the frame allowed the valve to work free in and out manually, opening and then closing the valve. One lesson learned - it is easier to reach the valve under the rig from the passenger side and I had to get that side lifted up a few inches to have enough clearance to get to it with tools.
After your feedback I checked my Interstate and it too has the Barker Auto-Drain electric actuator attached to a Valteera gate valve.

I had that DrainMaster file in my resource folder but obviously it is not what we have on our Interstates.

You can only attach PDF file from a PC. I also tried to upload the Auto-Drain instructions from my iPad and I couldn't do it.

So here are the accurate files on the Auto-Drain and Valteera part for our electric dump valves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dump Valve Electric Auto Drain2.pdf (455.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf Valterra GateValveTechnicalData-5-14-15.pdf (182.8 KB, 57 views)