Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I collect all the Sprinter tech data I can find. Even older documents are fairly accurate as the basic design of current Sprinter has not changed much since 2008. You can read about Sprinter history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

The page I posted came from the 2011 Sprinter Equipment Book (2 volumes) uploaded by a poster on the Sprinter-Source forum, her is link:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16289

I tried to extract just the single page but the document is locked and can only be viewed and printed since it is an official M-B document. So I scanned it from a printed page - thus the poor quality.

To help get your XM radio connected to the Kenwood AV input I need to know what specific portable XM radio you are using and what connections are available on that radio. It may be possible to get an adapter set-up that will work.
Thanks again Boxster1971. The Pioneer Inno has a mini-stereo headphone jack and comes with an adapter to convert that output to the standard RCA plugs (red, white). That's how I'm now connecting it to the A/V input RCA connections in the large overhead console above the cab, forward of the front TV. I had hoped those connections went to the head unit, but they go to the TV, obviously for your satellite receiver, as the antenna input is also there.
If the tech who pulled the head unit was correct, and the A/V input cables from the Kenwood adapter are connected to another cable, I wish I knew where that other cable terminated.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagem55 View Post
If the tech who pulled the head unit was correct, and the A/V input cables from the Kenwood adapter are connected to another cable, I wish I knew where that other cable terminated.
Normally Airstream installs a Kenwood KAC-iP202 adapter cable to the AV and USB inputs. It should be in the glove box in front of passenger seat. If it's not there maybe it got shoved behind the glove box -- you could look there.

I've attached a photo of mine and a copy of the connections from Kenwood manual. If you have this cable adapter installed it's an easy step to get an adapter so you can plug the headphone jack on your Pioneer Inno into the iPod connector going to Kenwood unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KCA-iP202 Adapter photo s.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	213978  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KCA-iP202 connections.pdf (32.3 KB, 25 views)

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I use the mirror on my sunvisor for keeping the young ones under control.
I use the steering wheel and gas and brake pedals to keep the young ones in the back under control.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Normally Airstream installs a Kenwood KAC-iP202 adapter cable to the AV and USB inputs. It should be in the glove box in front of passenger seat. If it's not there maybe it got shoved behind the glove box -- you could look there.

I've attached a photo of mine and a copy of the connections from Kenwood manual. If you have this cable adapter installed it's an easy step to get an adapter so you can plug the headphone jack on your Pioneer Inno into the iPod connector going to Kenwood unit.

Oops - meant to say it was a KCA-iP202 adapter cable.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:

Thanks. Mine has the USB and iPod connector, but I thought that may need to see some of the other control signals for the iPod input (i.e. viewing music files to select). Sorry, I'm not an Apple guy.
The USB on my Inno is for loading software updates, not outputs.

I had hoped to find where the A/V input cables from the head unit were attached to, but I'll try purchasing a 3.5mm to iPod cable as you advised.

As a side note, do you know if the built-in Sirius antenna is connectable or adaptable to the XM portable radio input? FWIW, I got an XM XExpressEZ and the connector and antenna are the same.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks. Mine has the USB and iPod connector, but I thought that may need to see some of the other control signals for the iPod input (i.e. viewing music files to select). Sorry, I'm not an Apple guy.
The USB on my Inno is for loading software updates, not outputs.

I had hoped to find where the A/V input cables from the head unit were attached to, but I'll try purchasing a 3.5mm to iPod cable as you advised.

There are several adapters that should work. I'm thinking of getting on myself so I can plug in my other MP3 players into the iPod connector provided by Airstream. I've read lots of reviews on these adapters and they all seem to have some issues in vehicles. So you can go two ways

1. Buy this cheap item from Amazon and hope it works.
Amazon.com : Audio iPod iPhone input converter to regular MP3 plug - iPod Iphone Female End to 3.5mm Male plug cable : MP3 Players & Accessories

2. Buy this more expensive item with better odds that it might work.
Amazon.com: CableJive dockBoss: Instantly upgrade your audio dock. Connect iPhone or Android smartphones and tablets to a pre-iPhone 5 audio dock. Compatible with Bose SoundDock, iHome, JBL, and many other popular audio docks.: Cell Phones & Accessor

Either way Amazon's return policy will allow you to return either if they don't work.

Enjoy,
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
As a side note, do you know if the built-in Sirius antenna is connectable or adaptable to the XM portable radio input? FWIW, I got an XM XExpressEZ and the connector and antenna are the same.
I recall that the 2012 Interstates also have a SiriusXM antenna and a SiriusXM receiver added to Kenwood unit. That's what mine has and it works well. I assume you use the portable unit so you can use in in other vehicles and at home? I know Sirius charges for each receiver you use.

The Interstate, at least mine, has a SiriusXM SXV200 Vehicle Tuner that connects to the Kenwood head unit. This tuner has a fairly standard SMB connector according the installation manual.

Unfortunately you will have to pull the head unit to get to the antenna connector behind Kenwood unit. As an alternative you might be able to get to antenna connector right at base of antenna in overhead, but that might get complicated.

Instructions for pulling the head unit were provided a while back at this post about adding a camera input by scott.semone.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-113472.html

Enjoy,
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
I recall that the 2012 Interstates also have a SiriusXM antenna and a SiriusXM receiver added to Kenwood unit. That's what mine has and it works well. I assume you use the portable unit so you can use in in other vehicles and at home? I know Sirius charges for each receiver you use.

The Interstate, at least mine, has a SiriusXM SXV200 Vehicle Tuner that connects to the Kenwood head unit. This tuner has a fairly standard SMB connector according the installation manual.

Unfortunately you will have to pull the head unit to get to the antenna connector behind Kenwood unit. As an alternative you might be able to get to antenna connector right at base of antenna in overhead, but that might get complicated.

Instructions for pulling the head unit were provided a while back at this post about adding a camera input by scott.semone.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-113472.html

Enjoy,
Thank you so much for all the invaluable information!

I'm going to go ahead and pull the head unit once we return and see if the Sirius connector is the same as the XM connector or I can make or buy an adapter. I have some electronics experience but am no engineer, but I assume trying the Sirius antenna on my XM will either work or not, but won't damage the XM unit if the impedance is different.

I may also check the A/V input cables to see if they are connected to something and use my circuit seeker to see where they go. Interestingly, scott.semone posted the picture in the link you cited and his weren't connected to anything; they were merely capped. If so, I will just connect my XM RCA to 3.5 mm adapter to them and route it into the glove box.

This may take some time, as I'm dealing with the aftermath of rodents chewing the wiring harness under the vehicle ($450 repair from Mercedes) and now I'm getting an ESP and a spinning tire console display and the swerving car icon, which also cuts out my cruise control. It came on after an hour delay in Chicago, went off the next morning, and came back with a burning smell in a rainstorm. If it's not rodents (already had to have the cabin filter box and firewall pad replaced), I guess it's going back to Mercedes, as I got it up on makeshift ramps and only found one wire they hadn't fixed, which I taped. There's only so many places you can put a Bounce fabric softener sheet...

Once again, thanks for all the information and quick responses. You're amazing!