Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Overhead cabinets repairs

Has anyone had any problems on they're Airstream Interstates with overhead cabinet over galley area 'sagging' and separating from ceiling?

I am down in south Florida and cannot find anyone 'capable' of repairing it.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Oak Lawn , Illinois
I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate too and have had the same problem. I took one of those screw extendable poles that are spring loaded and wedged it under the cabinet and counter top to help support the cabinets.

I took my Interstate to the factory in Ohio. They fixed it no charge.

Also, check the aluminum sheet ceiling. Mine had a couple of rivets that popped out.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of Airstream dealers around. I don't think I would trust anyone else to repair this.
rvheliskier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvheliskier2 View Post
I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate too and have had the same problem. I took one of those screw extendable poles that are spring loaded and wedged it under the cabinet and counter top to help support the cabinets.
Is this something I have to look forward to in a couple of years on my 2012?

Or maybe I'll get lucky and avoid that problem because the wardrobe closet splits up the overhead lockers into two front and one rear, and provides extra support in the middle. Fingers crossed…
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvheliskier2 View Post

I took my Interstate to the factory in Ohio. They fixed it no charge.

Also, check the aluminum sheet ceiling. Mine had a couple of rivets that popped out.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of Airstream dealers around. I don't think I would trust anyone else to repair this.
Was your interstate under warranty when you went to factory?

I had the same thing with ceiling rivets but fortunately across the street from my office is a sheet metal fabrication shop and my friend there help replace a half dozen missing rivets in about 3 minutes.

But I really want cabinets repaired properly.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Is this something I have to look forward to in a couple of years on my 2012?

Or maybe I'll get lucky and avoid that problem because the wardrobe closet splits up the overhead lockers into two front and one rear, and provides extra support in the middle. Fingers crossed…
Probably, after I spoke to Randy in customer service at Airsteam, he said that things will move around. The chassis is separate from interior and its bound to happen.

I guess just part of routine maintenance.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Oak Lawn , Illinois
I actually bought my AS late 2009. Back then there was only a 2 year warranty. I think it was later changed to 3 years. So technically it was out of warranty. They fixed the cabinets and a leaky side window. They did not even mention anything about the warranty. They fixed it and it was no charge.

I forgot to mention that I had my AS in the shop a year earlier to fix the rear overhead cabinets above the bed.

Back it 2009 the RV industry was still trying to recover. A lot of manufacturers had closed their doors. I think quality control suffered during this period.

Randy told me the same thing. Although I am grateful that they repaired my AS free of charge, I kinda don't buy their story. Not sure what he meant by "the chassis is separate from the interior". Do they mean like an airplane? This is done because of vibration and the aircraft expanding and contracting from pressurization and depressurization. The mountings a specially designed with this in mind.

I really believe it was just bad quality control at the factory. Regardless, Randy seems like an upfront guy and I don't have any complaints with AS service. So it doesn't really matter what their explanation is as long as it is fixed properly.

I don't think Protagonist would have the same problem because he has a different floorplan and I think the newer models do not suffer from QC issues as much.
rvheliskier2 is offline   Reply With Quote