Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #61
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - are they now selling just the unit or you have to bring the AI to Ohio to have ARV install? I would consider it if I didn't have to drive all the way to Midwest just to get an A/C unit installed.Maybe they have authorized installers elsewhere?
For now, it is only installed at their facility... The cost is $2,749. Need to make it as part of a trip... would be great to be able to watch TV and actually hear it with the A/C on...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Psychic Conditioning.

I actually plan my trips around not having to use air conditioning.

When it absolutely can't be avoided, I sleep with earbuds/head phones.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #63

Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
I actually plan my trips around not having to use air conditioning.

When it absolutely can't be avoided, I sleep with earbuds/head phones.
I think that I will follow your approach. A heck of a lot cheaper and works with the snoring of the wife... two birds with one stone
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #64

Orlando , Florida
Question

Well...the only big-ticket item that we would like to change as soon as possible is the frigging loud A/C (and by "we" I mean ME! and by "as soon as possible" I mean when my wife lets me )

I already told the wife about it... and all she said was to please let her save up for it instead of making another impulse buy ...

Ear plugs are not going to work in this case...those are fine for going to sleep... But we like to watch movies before going to bed and the A/C just makes that difficult... And, when not sleeping, we can't have a conversation unless Mara is right next to me.

So, has anyone installed the Advanced RV quiet A/C ?

https://www.upfittersresource.com/…/quiet-air-conditioner-f…

I have pretty much decided on not doing the self-leveling system. We have had no need for it so far... and using the leveling blocks has not been the PITA that I thought it was going to be. So good there... But this A/C that we have... sorry, just can't stand it
Old 04-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Wachuko, we too couldn’t live with the stock A/C. We sprang for the ARV version which they installed. What a difference! It’s one of the best mods we’ve done, and makes living in the AI much more pleasant.

We didn’t realize until we spoke to their installer that the unit is designed for stationary use only. That’s fine in our case, but may be problematic for some.

The ARV folks were great. I highly recommend the quiet A/C and their installation.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Well...the only big-ticket item that we would like to change as soon as possible is the frigging loud A/C (and by "we" I mean ME! and by "as soon as possible" I mean when my wife lets me )

I already told the wife about it... and all she said was to please let her save up for it instead of making another impulse buy ...

Ear plugs are not going to work in this case...those are fine for going to sleep... But we like to watch movies before going to bed and the A/C just makes that difficult... And, when not sleeping, we can't have a conversation unless Mara is right next to me.

So, has anyone installed the Advanced RV quiet A/C ?

https://www.upfittersresource.com/…/quiet-air-conditioner-f…

I have pretty much decided on not doing the self-leveling system. We have had no need for it so far... and using the leveling blocks has not been the PITA that I thought it was going to be. So good there... But this A/C that we have... sorry, just can't stand it

To save your sanity try this, it also works great with the generator running too:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-wh...?skuId=6280545
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
One very new player in the 12vdc roof top air is ProAir. They developed and now sell a unit that Coachmen is putting in the Galleria as an option. ProAir will sell this unit to anyone and it is an a/c with 20,000btu cooling capacity, and the unit is much more efficient than the Dometic 120vdc a/c. It fits in the standard 14" square opening. Cost is $2550, and it comes in white or black exterior colors and tan, grey, black and white interior colors. I know the next time I need to replace my Dometic that's who I'll be calling. Contact:

ProAir
Jeff Armstead

Director of Specialty Sales
2900 County Road 6 West
Elkhart, IN 46514
Cell: 574-536-5587
Office: 574-264-5494 ext 109
Fax 574-264-2194
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #68

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Wachuko, we too couldn’t live with the stock A/C. We sprang for the ARV version which they installed. What a difference! It’s one of the best mods we’ve done, and makes living in the AI much more pleasant.

We didn’t realize until we spoke to their installer that the unit is designed for stationary use only. That’s fine in our case, but may be problematic for some.

The ARV folks were great. I highly recommend the quiet A/C and their installation.
So we would not be able to use it while driving on the road with the generator running...

Thinking about it, that might not be an issue for us... it might be tomorrow when we are taking 9 friends (wife and me included in that number) to the beach...but this is a rare occasion. I plan to run the A/C on the way there and back...

Thank you for the feedback.

Just a few more questions:

How long did they take for the install?

Is it really that quiet as the videos they have shared?

Any lights when on? Can remember in what video it was, but seem like there was a display with lights on the A/C unit... nothing a tape over can't solve... just curious on this one.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-05-2019, 04:41 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
So we would not be able to use it while driving on the road with the generator running...

Thinking about it, that might not be an issue for us... it might be tomorrow when we are taking 9 friends (wife and me included in that number) to the beach...but this is a rare occasion. I plan to run the A/C on the way there and back...

Thank you for the feedback.

Just a few more questions:

How long did they take for the install?

Is it really that quiet as the videos they have shared?

Any lights when on? Can remember in what video it was, but seem like there was a display with lights on the A/C unit... nothing a tape over can't solve... just curious on this one.

Install was one day, which included fabricating a gasket.

We haven’t measured decibel levels. Our user experience is similar to what‘s in the videos. We can carry on a conversation, take a phone call, or watch TV comfortably while it’s running.

The display comes on when the unit is turned on or the setting is changed. After several seconds, it turns off. No need for tape!

A minor disappointment: they installed 2 screws on the inside through the metal ceiling. I need to find caps for them.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I was trying to decide whether to install Easy Start or have ARV install their “quiet” ac. Heard one running here near home and got the fever bad.
What is the footprint for their unit? I have 4 100 watt solar panels up there, as you’ve seen, and I’m not sure I have the real estate left. Already crowding the Dometic unit now.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Seems like Australians RV owners are putting in better quality AC units than we see here in the USA. There are brand names like Aircommand and Houghton that look a lot like the Advanced RV quiet unit. Looking around at Aussie RV sales websites I ran across what looks like an improved version of those that came out in November 2018, just a few months ago. This has variable speed fans and an inverter compressor so it could run at lower (quieter & more efficient) speeds continuously vs. cycling on and off.

I ran across some documents online showing that Dometic bought Aircommand a few years ago and had to agree to let them continue to operate as some sort of independent company. Now the Dometic name is on the Ibis 4. These are all still 220V/50Hz. The schematic on page 41 of the attached .pdf shows the "Inverter Compressor". This is the same technology in the mini-splits for a house. Should be an easier modification to make it compatible with our 120V/60Hz.

Looks like RV AC technology is moving forward...finally!

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...S4-ADB-KIT.pdf
Fixin2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Overhead Air Conditioning LOUD!

Their unit is a little larger than the Dometic. They were concerned when I sent a photo of my roof, asked me to make a few measurements. (We have 3 solar panels.) The measurements were close, so we went to ARV with the understanding that they might not be able to do the install. They took a look and said it would work.

Is your twin bed mod finished?

DJ
Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #73
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Is your twin bed mod finished?

DJ
Twin bed mod is coming along fine. Just got finished moving water heater that was way in center of coach to close to the wall. A little more wood work and I can install the beds. Mattresses are ordered. A couple of more days work will finish it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The twin bed mods are going on right now. Been swapping plans and sketches, frames being fabricated now. We “upgraded” our plans for the beds. Can’t wait to see them in operation....yes they will be powered. Front cabinets are in the shop now. Going to go visit the shop tomorrow morning...things are finally moving forward.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #75

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Well... a forum member got his and is planning to install himself. Can't wait for the updates as I want to do the same...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QuietAC-1.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	340732   Click image for larger version

Name:	QuietAC-2.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	340733  

Click image for larger version

Name:	QuietAC-3.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	340734  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Well... a forum member got his and is planning to install himself. Can't wait for the updates as I want to do the same...
Congratulations!

The wooden box looks like a keeper.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:18 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Congratulations!

The wooden box looks like a keeper.

The sweet pup inspecting the box is the real keeper. If you get one of those with these ACs, sign me up!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Black doesn't seem like a good color for an AC. Why absorb more heat??
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #79

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Black doesn't seem like a good color for an AC. Why absorb more heat??

You can always have it painted to match your AI...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
James at Fit RV Tests Quiet Coleman

New alternative to consider: 60.8 db on high / 56.3db on low.

His video just out today.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote