Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's funny that I can hear the TV better sometimes further away from it. I guess when I'm closer to it I'm closer to the a/c unit, too.
I like to watch TV in the dinette booth.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
FWIW my new RT Adventurous CS is the same way. Consider using noise cancelling headphones... There are many cheap competitors to the BOSE models and all work pretty good. Many are small and light enough that you might consider using for sleep as well. You certainly should be able to wire up to your TV if that's your main concern.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't mind the noise, just wished it cooled better.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our TV sound comes directly thru the stereo speakers, and always has. I thought this was the only way it worked.

If you are laying in bed watching TV, or sitting at either end of the benches, you are directly under a speaker. We have to turn the volume way down in these spots, even with the AC on.

Our AC runs so cold that, even on low, sleeping under the all-season down comforter is required.

Me, I would rather have too cold than not cold enough. Doug, not so much.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
So I did not know I could adjust fan from the thermostat so thanks for that folks. Still loud for the enclosed space we are talking about but definitely better. I'd like another setting at about half the low speed if Airstream is listening.

Protag, on the generator I think there is little contest. Honestly that thing is so loud I'm not sure when I would ever use it. I've got only 9 hours on mine just from exercising it every few months. Personally I would just as soon not have it. Just one more thing to remember to change oil for and we'll nearly always camp where there is power.

Brian
Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Airstream does not make Dometic Air Conditioners. They only buy them from Dometic. Dometic is who you should be complaining to. What I do is when I expect to use the AC, I set the fan to run at MED/OW speed constantly therefore the sound becomes like background noise and I don't usually notice the compressor coming on and off.

Also I find it very interesting that people, not just AtlantaCpl obviously have not read their owners manuals. Maybe I'm anal, but the first thing I did after getting home from a quality, 2 hours long delivery from my dealer in NJ was to begin to sit down and look at the WHOLE manual. Even to the point of registering the warranties on the many items that are included in an Intestate. Then I even took time to go into the unit and review many things that were somewhat new to me. Forgive me if you or anyone else with relatively new Interstates are offended, but unless you bought it used and or there were no manuals inside, I'd understand it. Sure its real easy to ask questions on the internet, but it's also a pretty complex unit. Either that or everyone lives in an apartment and calls the landlord for every little squeak in their homes.

Again forgive me for ranting but i see this all so often. And don't feel bad if you are ones that I am referring to. In my prior Class A motorhomes (last 16 years+), people who spend $600K-$1.6Mil also have the same questions.

And yes, I still ask my grandsons to set the clock on my VCR.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCpl View Post
ersonally I would just as soon not have it. Just one more thing to remember to change oil for and we'll nearly always camp where there is power.

Brian
Well, either your A/C cools a lot better than mine or you haven't driven on a long trip w/ 7 or 8 people on board in 95+ heat. I can only get about a 17* degree drop across the evaporator even Dometic says I should get 21*. Also at 95*, it pulls about all of the amps the generator can put out.

It really needs the Sprinter engine driven rear A/C for cooling on the road.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
It's usually just the wife and I and we are in front with the cab air so you make a great point about use cases.

I think I can explain your 4 degree difference in temps. It is bound to be at least 4 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature on top of the sprinter with the heat radiating off the roof. I bet the intake is up on the hot roof which might explain the difference.

On reading the owners manuals I'm pretty good about reading them and did so in this case. But that was 2 years ago and obviously a lot of information to try and retain. I still have about 10 years to go until retirement to live life at a much slower and methodical pace!

Lastly, Airstream doesn't make the air conditioners but a strong suggestion from them to Dometic goes a bit farther than my lone feedback. Plus who knows if there isn't a much quieter model Dometic produces but Airstream doesn't like the increased price it has to pass on to the consumer.

Thanks everyone for the great discussion.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The Dometic doesn't bring outside air in, just recirculates. No connection to the outside air.

The measured drop was between the intake and output airflow. Basically the evaporator was only cooling the air 17* instead of the 21* Dometic told me. Removed both inside and outside covers to check for any blockage but found none.

Did find the junction box that AS uses to connect the A/C wiring to the RV wiring was not mounted but just hanging by the wiring. Fixed that. It did happen to be in the intake airflow so probably impeded it a little and probably contributed to the cacophony of noise inside the RV.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The Dometic doesn't bring outside air in, just recirculates. No connection to the outside air.

The measured drop was between the intake and output airflow. Basically the evaporator was only cooling the air 17* instead of the 21* Dometic told me. Removed both inside and outside covers to check for any blockage but found none.

Did find the junction box that AS uses to connect the A/C wiring to the RV wiring was not mounted but just hanging by the wiring. Fixed that. It did happen to be in the intake airflow so probably impeded it a little and probably contributed to the cacophony of noise inside the RV.
Where is this junction box and can you get to it easily. I'd lie to check mine for similar problem.

Thanks,
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You will have to remove the inside cover in order to see the junction box which is located at the forward end of the unit. You should be able to see it easily. There are some hidden screws involved in removing the cover.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Jackson , Tennessee
Soooo, has anyone actually been able to "fix" the noisy AC fan? My 2005 19' Bamie's fan sounds like it's ready fly apart. It is must defiantly not a normal noise.
We made our first camping trip this weekend and love Streaming!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Scratching the itch of curiosity, which is louder… the air conditioner or the generator?

In the T1N Interstate, the answer is the air conditioner - no competition.

It is the reason why we will only use the Interstate in cool weather. We leave our a/c unit in the ceiling only for emergency use, like when I took our daughter on a university tour and we had 90+ degree weather in mid-October. I had to tell her that I need to turn this thing off for 10 minutes per hour. We could run it 50 minutes per hour but not 60 - I just couldn't take the intensity of noise, it was so exhausting. I needed periodic breaks from it, even if we were dying of the heat.

On another thread, someone talked about only being able to hear their cell phone in the wet bath, which had acquired the nickname of "the phone booth". But of course shutting oneself inside the wet bath to talk is perhaps a fate worse than death in high temps.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Scratching the itch of curiosity, which is louder… the air conditioner or the generator?
Answering my own question—

I installed a decibel meter app for my Android phone to find out. The results…

Sitting on the driver's side side-facing seat and holding the phone almost directly under the A/C, the A/C fan running by itself measures 57dB. The A/C actually cooling measures 69dB. That's pretty loud. Normal conversation at arm's length averages about 60dB, and a multi-person meeting averages about 70dB. So the A/C is loud enough to make you raise your voice to hold a conversation if you're sitting under it.

Distance is a factor. Sitting in the front seats, the A/C actually cooling comes in at just 61dB, a difference of 8dB between the front and rear seats thanks to the inverse-square law.

Sitting in the same side-facing seat with the generator running but not the A/C, it's a whopping 82dB, or FOUR TIMES as loud. By CoE Safety Manual standards, that's loud enough to need hearing protection (>80dB), though it's just under the threshold by OSHA standards (>85dB).

Outside the van, holding the phone right next to the generator exhaust pipe, it's also 82dB. Which indicates to me that much of the generator noise inside the van comes from vibration transmitted through the van's frame, not from the exhaust.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote