Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #1

Charleston , South Carolina
Outside Tailgating TV

Counting the days for Football and Tailgating. I want to add an outside TV this season. Has anyone mounted an additional TV for outside viewing? I know there are trailer hitch mounts. Any other ways to do it? Thanks!

Charleston40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
My husband has Texas A&M season tickets each year and I typically get talked into attending a couple of games. IIRC many people use free-standing screens because they have large groups and they want the screens to be easily visible. But I confess that I focus more on their portable generators than the screens. I always want to know if a quieter model has come on the market.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
+1 on college football tailgating. The AI is the perfect vehicle for it. A sunny day is the TVís enemy. For that reason we place our TV on a small table on the sliding door side around the rear wheel area. The awning gives us enough shade to see the picture. We make sure there is plenty of clearance for the door when it is fully opened.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
+1 college footballat UNLV. But in 2 yrs. Raiders will be here, so will end up splitting tailgaiting time, as limited as it is. So I can not do a permanent setup.

This is what I would want permanent on AI if it was dedicated to local trips.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Midwest_Automotive_Design-Sprinter-Tailgate.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	312141

But this is what I can get away with due to the need for as much rear storage when going on long trips. Pretty basic & cheapo way. Used an old tv and just lay on top of the rear mid-shelf. Have big velcro straps attached to VESA holes of tv and wrapped around both rear headset mounting posts. Easy on & easy off & easy transport. Big diff between my want & my need. But it works
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_120038.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	312140
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston40 View Post
Counting the days for Football and Tailgating. I want to add an outside TV this season. Has anyone mounted an additional TV for outside viewing? I know there are trailer hitch mounts. Any other ways to do it? Thanks!
How do you run this? House batteries?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
How do you run this? House batteries?
No, it's not a special 12V tv, just my old Toshiba 120VAC with a short extension cord to rear tv's AC outlet & use it's cable connection. You can use the outside C/S outlet also, a bit easier but I just don't to avoid tripping anyone
Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
First year with my AI and first year as Season Ticket holder for Dolphins. Looking forward to tailgating as well so very interested in feedback here as well.

Running on generator or inverter?
Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
+1 college footballat UNLV. But in 2 yrs. Raiders will be here, so will end up splitting tailgaiting time, as limited as it is. So I can not do a permanent setup.

This is what I would want permanent on AI if it was dedicated to local trips.
Attachment 312141

But this is what I can get away with due to the need for as much rear storage when going on long trips. Pretty basic & cheapo way. Used an old tv and just lay on top of the rear mid-shelf. Have big velcro straps attached to VESA holes of tv and wrapped around both rear headset mounting posts. Easy on & easy off & easy transport. Big diff between my want & my need. But it works
Attachment 312140
Very cool setup!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Stitchy View Post
Running on generator or inverter?
Ugghh, our dreaded generator I prefer not using gen on tailgates because of noise. If I have a choice, I just run the engine a few minutes at a time to charge batteries but sun is plentiful in Las Vegas even in the deep winter days, so as long as it's not a night game it's ok. However, I am not optimistic about tailgating once Raiders get here in 2020. They have only set aside 15% parking spaces for the 65,000 capacity stadium. The rest of parking is 3-4 miles off-site. Not really sure how things will work out for fans wanting to tailgate, but to be sure it will not be in those 2,400 on-site spots. You got much better setup at Sun Life stadium. Have fun.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
A Goal Zero Yeti 1000 or larger should solve the power/noise problem. Check your TV power consumption x tailgating duration to see what size Yeti you'd need. You might want to figure in a few blender uses. It sure works for us... microwave, hair dryer, coffee pot, etc. - all things AC (except the actual AC itself)
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
A Goal Zero Yeti 1000 or larger should solve the power/noise problem. Check your TV power consumption x tailgating duration to see what size Yeti you'd need. You might want to figure in a few blender uses. It sure works for us... microwave, hair dryer, coffee pot, etc. - all things AC (except the actual AC itself)
Yeah, those YETI's really are top-notch & nice. I have never personally used one but read enough about it here that I am convinced that is the way to go. But before I plunk down the $$ I want to make sure Raiders would have addressed the parking issue for rv tailgaters. Even the Thomas & Mack Center that UNLV Rebels use does not allow anything longer than 22 ft. or taller than 8 ft. in their main lot. So now that we have a nice AI, may still have to revert to our minivan tailgating, if only to be in main lot rather than get booted to off-site. I did not foresee this parking location issue because tailgating with AI was not our primary reason for purchase, especially living/coming from cities that have long established sections for rv tailgaters. I was only thinking of how expensive the parking was going to be, but now that may not matter
Old 05-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for all the great information! I will go with the TV in the back setup.

I was thinking of doing a home rum from the Monoprice HDMI switcher to the back. Has anyone run any wires in the AI?
Charleston40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston40 View Post
Thanks for all the great information! I will go with the TV in the back setup.

I was thinking of doing a home rum from the Monoprice HDMI switcher to the back. Has anyone run any wires in the AI?
I have not only because of what I am thinking may be a big PITA if you are talking running an HDMI cable all the way from front Monoprice to rear cabinet. Me just lazy But picking up the HDMI from rear tv set or the coax line from the C/S external cable outlet would be an easier way. Homerun idea would be sweet if you can find a good route that won't require removing all the valances