Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #141
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
LOL you are all too funny

I was about to order the hitch carrier for my Triumph Thruxton but folks in the Triumph forum are not too supportive of the idea. Trying to find folks carrying similar bikes with the Mototote to get some real user feedback.
Here is a pic of my trailer which I had custom built to a narrower than standard width to more closely track behind the AI. If you are interested it is for sale. You can pm me for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170710_155234.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	300287  
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #142
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
The first improvement I made on our new (to us) 2010 Interstate was adding an interior switch to turn the propane on/off. The outside switch remains in place so it complies with the safety regulations. I can't imagine RVing without the inside switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I use a MotoTote but just to carry a 275# Hooligan Scooter and mine is a standard length AI with a higher tongue load rating. Don't know of anyone hauling anything as heavy as a Truxton. I'm sure you'll go over the recommended hitch tongue load with what you are proposing. You might want to consider a small trailer for the bike.

I agree with the above poster on the interior propane switch. One of my earliest additions. My dealer charged $175 to install.
Yes. I bought the switch and it is ready for install when I get the AI home.

On the trailer... I just do not want to tow anything... that is why I was looking at the hitch carrier... I just sold my Harley to my cousin... thinking that I would keep the Triumph since it was lighter... but you are right, for the AI the tongue weight capacity is 500 lbs, not 600 lbs like in my X5... this changes everything. I would be 60 lbs over tongue weight capacity between the weight of the bike and the weight of the carrier carp!

I rather not take the bike and just do separate bike rides without the wife then...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #143
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Yes. I bought the switch and it is ready for install when I get the AI home.

On the trailer... I just do not want to tow anything... that is why I was looking at the hitch carrier... I just sold my Harley to my cousin... thinking that I would keep the Triumph since it was lighter... but you are right, for the AI the tongue weight capacity is 500 lbs, not 600 lbs like in my X5... this changes everything. I would be 60 lbs over tongue weight capacity between the weight of the bike and the weight of the carrier carp!

I rather not take the bike and just do separate bike rides without the wife then...
You also need to take into account the cantilever effect of the carrier and bike being so far behind the receiver. You would wind up way overweight.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #144

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
You also need to take into account the cantilever effect of the carrier and bike being so far behind the receiver. You would wind up way overweight.
Yes. Bottom line... no Triumph on a hitch carrier.

BTW, beautiful matching trailer you have there... but I really do not want to be towing a trailer. That was the main reason for getting the AI... plus we sold the land we had, so no place to store anything anymore when not in use...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #145
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
You waited two months so whats two more weeks. Hopefully the dealer will take the extra time to check every detail on your new toy. It will be a great Christmas present for the family and make for many lasting memories.
Attached Images

GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Yes. Bottom line... no Triumph on a hitch carrier.

Several companies out there make bike lifts for RVs that are rated up to 1000#. They aren’t cheap because they attach to the frame, not the receiver, but if you really want to haul your bike, ANY bike (including the Harley), you can do it. If you were to add something like that, I would recommend adding air bags or a similar system to offset the added weight on the back. [emoji6]
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #147
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Several companies out there make bike lifts for RVs that are rated up to 1000#. They aren’t cheap because they attach to the frame, not the receiver, but if you really want to haul your bike, ANY bike (including the Harley), you can do it.
One could carry any bike, but only up to the Interstate's GVWR or Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating, whichever comes first.

I do not believe that one would be able to take advantage of the bike lift's full load capacity because one would run out of the Interstate's cargo capacity first.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #148

Orlando , Florida
Updating list (how I wish we could just update original post...)
  1. Ordered - Glacier Ice Corian flip shelf Part number 602233-07 - Tommy Bahama edition does not come with the extended counter piece due to the under counter lights mounted. Had to be custom ordered in matching counter top color.
  2. Ordered - Two additional battery trays (these come with strap downs). AGM CL24, End mount Part numbers: 454982 - This is to double the house battery capacity.
  3. Ordered - Will be using two additional stock batteries for now (Part number for batteries: 511828 Battery, 12 Volt, Deep cycle, AGM Lifeline)
  4. Ordered - Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge
  5. Ordered - Collapsible ladder - needed one at home so figured I would buy one that would also work with the RV
  6. Ordered - Duallys valvesDually 16'' Steel / Aluminum Valve Stem Extension Kit DL1SPAL - dealer did not have these. So order placed and I will drop them over for them to install before I take delivery on the 16. Should be here in a couple of days.
  7. Ordered - Telescoping pole (and a Squeegee and Window Scrubber) for cleaning windshield and to make sure there is clearance before driving through areas with limited height, because I want to keep all the stuff on top of the Interstate in one piece... ouch!
  8. Arrived - Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts
  9. Arrived - Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle
  10. Arrived - Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay
  11. Surge protector/EMS - Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X Surge/EMS Protector with Cover - 30 Amp - to protect the electrical system in the Interstate when hooking up at a camp site
  12. ARB ARB605 Blue Inflator with Gauge and Braided Hose - I have been meaning to get a new one from my garage. This will work just fine and I will modify it to take different tips so I can also use it for those hard to reach motorcycle wheels.
  13. ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor High Output On-Board 12V Air Compressor and a tire plug kit
  14. Water pressure regulator for when hooking up at RV park facilities. Read somewhere that this prevents damage to the Interstate water lines when the pressure at the RV Park is higher than expected
  15. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield
  16. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving.
  17. Rubber Wheel Chocks
  18. Leveling blocks/pads and the wheel chocks for these...
  19. Windshield cover for when parked to reduce interior heat. Also looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate (I know, not as harsh as in Arizona and Texas, but still...)
  20. Memory foam top for the bed or RV Superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
  21. Build two boards (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my two kids
  22. Gloves, hoses (separate hoses for water fills and for tank cleaning)
  23. Inline water filter for filling tanks - to keep all internals in great shape and avoid build ups...
  24. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - Thread on this
  25. Longer term. ARB Fridge / Freezer (ARB Elements Weatherproof 63 Quart Fridge) for extending cooling storage capacity. I also want to get a Jeep Wrangler diesel a few years from now to replace the X5 and this would be perfect for now and to take in the Jeep when going remote places (I can dream, can I? lol ).

Dropped the hitch carrier for the motorcycle... as mentioned, I would be way over the tongue weight limit to safely carry it...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #149
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One could carry any bike, but only up to the Interstate's GVWR or Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating, whichever comes first.

I do not believe that one would be able to take advantage of the bike lift's full load capacity because one would run out of the Interstate's cargo capacity first.

If you look at the OCCC of the Lounge EXT, it's just shy of 2,000lbs. One would have to reach out to AS to find out how much of that is available at the rear axle, then compare that to the combined weight of the lift, motorcycle, and then proportional weight of OCCC carried on that axle. While it likely won't allow for 1000#, it most likely would cover the weight of his Triumph.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #150

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Several companies out there make bike lifts for RVs that are rated up to 1000#. They aren’t cheap because they attach to the frame, not the receiver, but if you really want to haul your bike, ANY bike (including the Harley), you can do it. If you were to add something like that, I would recommend adding air bags or a similar system to offset the added weight on the back. [emoji6]
I will search for those. Harley is gone. I only kept the Triumph Thruxton R.

The beauty of the Mototote was ease of use. And when removed, the SUV or AI would be back to normal...

From the sound of it, those that attach to the frame might be a pita to use and will leave some awful looking something behind it when not in use... I will search for those later tonight. Thank you for the suggestion. Motorcycle is a little bit less than 500 lbs.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #151

Orlando , Florida
This is my bike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My TTR.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	300304  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #152

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
You waited two months so whats two more weeks. Hopefully the dealer will take the extra time to check every detail on your new toy. It will be a great Christmas present for the family and make for many lasting memories.
hahahaaha... must use that gif!!

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #153
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I will search for those. Harley is gone. I only kept the Triumph Thruxton R.

The beauty of the Mototote was ease of use. And when removed, the SUV or AI would be back to normal...

From the sound of it, those that attach to the frame might be a pita to use and will leave some awful looking something behind it when not in use... I will search for those later tonight. Thank you for the suggestion. Motorcycle is a little bit less than 500 lbs.
The only real problem I see with them is when the bike is on the lift, you won't be able to open the back doors. There's no one that makes a lift that will swing out of the way that can handle that sort of weight, so keep that in mind. Most can be removed when not in use.

https://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift
http://hydralift-usa.com/motorhome-lift-2/
https://www.overbiltlifts.com/electric-lift/
Old 12-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #154

Orlando , Florida
Question

Filling out the WBCCI application... not sure what unit to select so I will with with Member at Large for now...??? Makes sense?

Edit: DONE!!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #155

Orlando , Florida
and if I did everything correctly... looks like we are signed up for our first rally!!

Topsail Hill Preserve State Park - 12th Annual Canopener Rally - January 4-7, 2018
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #156

Orlando , Florida
Updating list (how I wish we could just update original post...)
  1. Ordered - Glacier Ice Corian flip shelf Part number 602233-07 - Tommy Bahama edition does not come with the extended counter piece due to the under counter lights mounted. Had to be custom ordered in matching counter top color.
  2. Ordered - Two additional battery trays (these come with strap downs). AGM CL24, End mount Part numbers: 454982 - This is to double the house battery capacity.
  3. Ordered - Will be using two additional stock batteries for now (Part number for batteries: 511828 Battery, 12 Volt, Deep cycle, AGM Lifeline)
  4. Ordered - Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge
  5. Ordered - Collapsible ladder - needed one at home so figured I would buy one that would also work with the RV
  6. Ordered - Duallys valvesDually 16'' Steel / Aluminum Valve Stem Extension Kit DL1SPAL - dealer did not have these. So order placed and I will drop them over for them to install before I take delivery on the 16. Should be here in a couple of days.
  7. Ordered - Now that we know we will be doing our first rally on Jan 4... noticed that the lot we got has only a 50 amp hook up. So got the needed adapter :
    Camco RV Dogbone Electrical Adapter With PowerGrip Handle, 50 Amp Male To 30 Amp Female, 18-Inch
  8. Ordered - Telescoping pole (and a Squeegee and Window Scrubber) for cleaning windshield and to make sure there is clearance before driving through areas with limited height, because I want to keep all the stuff on top of the Interstate in one piece... ouch!
  9. Ordered - Inline water filter for filling tanks - to keep all internals in great shape and avoid build ups...
  10. Ordered - ARB ARB605 Blue Inflator with Gauge and Braided Hose - I have been meaning to get a new one from my garage. This will work just fine and I will modify it to take different tips so I can also use it for those hard to reach motorcycle wheels.
  11. Ordered - Water pressure regulator for when hooking up at RV park facilities. Read somewhere that this prevents damage to the Interstate water lines when the pressure at the RV Park is higher than expected
  12. Ordered - Surge protector/EMS - Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X Surge/EMS Protector with Cover - 30 Amp - to protect the electrical system in the Interstate when hooking up at a camp site
  13. Arrived - Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts
  14. Arrived - Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle
  15. Arrived - Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay
  16. TST 507 TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM WITH 06 CAP SENSORS AND NEW COLOR MONITOR (INCLUDES SIGNAL REPEATER) - searching to see who has the best price on this... I missed ordering it when TST mentioned in a thread some event pricing a few months back
  17. ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor High Output On-Board 12V Air Compressor and a tire plug kit
  18. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield
  19. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving.
  20. Rubber Wheel Chocks
  21. Leveling blocks/pads and the wheel chocks for these...
  22. Windshield cover for when parked to reduce interior heat. Also looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate (I know, not as harsh as in Arizona and Texas, but still...)
  23. Memory foam top for the bed or RV Superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
  24. Build two boards (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my two kids
  25. Gloves, hoses (separate hoses for water fills and for tank cleaning)
  26. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - Thread on this
  27. Longer term. ARB Fridge / Freezer (ARB Elements Weatherproof 63 Quart Fridge) for extending cooling storage capacity. I also want to get a Jeep Wrangler diesel a few years from now to replace the X5 and this would be perfect for now and to take in the Jeep when going remote places (I can dream, can I? lol ).

We need to rehearse and be ready for the rally... plan is to stay in it at home in the front driveway to see what we need and pack accordingly... we know we will not get it right the first time, but trying not to have to move the AI from the lot during the time we are there...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
and if I did everything correctly... looks like we are signed up for our first rally!!

Topsail Hill Preserve State Park - 12th Annual Canopener Rally - January 4-7, 2018
Can opener is fun, but is not a WBCCI event. Not that it matters. Protagonist is usually there. We are thinking about it.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #158

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Can opener is fun, but is not a WBCCI event. Not that it matters. Protagonist is usually there. We are thinking about it.
Not "usually." 2018 will only be my 2nd time to attend.

2015 was my first time, and the 2015 Canopener was basically my retirement party, since I arrived less than a week after my last work day.

2016 I had other commitments— namely the WBCCI Mid-Winter IBT (I was a Unit president at the time, and felt it was incumbent upon me to attend).

2017 I had a girlfriend who really didn't want to attend rallies of any kind but liked RV camping otherwise, so even though I had a reservation for the 2017 Canopener, I canceled it. Which in hindsight was a mistake, because said girlfriend and I parted ways soon after that anyway.

But this year I'm back, and planning to attend every year for the foreseeable future unless real life makes other plans for me.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not "usually." 2018 will only be my 2nd time to attend.

2015 was my first time, and the 2015 Canopener was basically my retirement party, since I arrived less than a week after my last work day.

2016 I had other commitments— namely the WBCCI Mid-Winter IBT (I was a Unit president at the time, and felt it was incumbent upon me to attend).

2017 I had a girlfriend who really didn't want to attend rallies of any kind but liked RV camping otherwise, so even though I had a reservation for the 2017 Canopener, I canceled it. Which in hindsight was a mistake, because said girlfriend and I parted ways soon after that anyway.

But this year I'm back, and planning to attend every year for the foreseeable future unless real life makes other plans for me.
Oh, I thought you were a regular. 2015 and 16 were our two years. Dreadfully cold both times.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #160

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Oh, I thought you were a regular. 2015 and 16 were our two years. Dreadfully cold both times.
I will be a regular from now on, if at all possible.