Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #81
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Trying to do that now will mean removing the existing rear panel and making the space for the 4th one. Will also mean getting a different connector that can combined all four (the one on there does not look like it has additional plug for one more)...
For flexible panels, you might consider fastening one lengthwise to the top of your A/C shroud. It looks like one panel should fit, as long as the front end of the panel can curve down.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #82
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
For flexible panels, you might consider fastening one lengthwise to the top of your A/C shroud. It looks like one panel should fit, as long as the front end of the panel can curve down.
Or find, if available, low profile roof rack for the back and install both there to avoid doing anything else to the roof....
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Or find, if available, low profile roof rack for the back and install both there to avoid doing anything else to the roof....
You would likely need to DIY something because most roof racks, including the one from MB, will interfere with the awning.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #84

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
You would likely need to DIY something because most roof racks, including the one from MB, will interfere with the awning.
okay... back to measuring rear area and see if moving the one already there would allow for adding one more.

I would like to stay away from trying to install on a/c cover.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
okay... back to measuring rear area and see if moving the one already there would allow for adding one more.

I would like to stay away from trying to install on a/c cover.
Honestly, I think you'll be fine with the 300W that comes standard on the '18. I'm actually doing fine with just the 100W on my '17, but it depends on your expectations. Mine are that it will keep my batteries topped up, and after I swapped out my solar controller, it does that job just fine. Maybe give yours some time and see if you even need more.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #86

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Honestly, I think you'll be fine with the 300W that comes standard on the '18. I'm actually doing fine with just the 100W on my '17, but it depends on your expectations. Mine are that it will keep my batteries topped up, and after I swapped out my solar controller, it does that job just fine. Maybe give yours some time and see if you even need more.....
Yes, that is the plan. All this talk about adding an additional solar panel is further down the road... the only immediate changes that I am making are these:

Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts
Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle
Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay

And that is to make sure it actually charges properly.

I am just trying to kill time while it arrives
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #87

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISGM View Post
Hello All: New to forum and posting - I too have just purchased a 2018 AI and bought the metal stems for my duallys. I need a recommendation from folks for a competent installer on east coast (yes I have the Alcoa Wheels).. Thanks in advance...
Quote:
Special Note: When ordering your Dually Kit with metal valve stems..be sure to mention that inside dual tires are on steel wheels. I thought all my wheels were Alcoa Aluminum and ended up with wrong kit. The stems for the aluminum wheels wont seat
Thank you for the follow up update!!! I will be sure to call that out. I thought all six wheels where the same kind...
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
Quick note: Ordering/Installing metal valve stems.
When you order, be mindful that the 2018 Interstate has steel wheels for the inner dual. All other wheels are Alcoa Aluminum. The steel wheels and Alcoa wheels require slightly different valve stems (my experience when purchasing the all aluminum wheels valve stem kit for 3500 Sprinters). Once I got the correct stem for the steel wheels...all is well for my TPMS!!
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #89

Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Quick note: Ordering/Installing metal valve stems.
When you order, be mindful that the 2018 Interstate has steel wheels for the inner dual. All other wheels are Alcoa Aluminum. The steel wheels and Alcoa wheels require slightly different valve stems (my experience when purchasing the all aluminum wheels valve stem kit for 3500 Sprinters). Once I got the correct stem for the steel wheels...all is well for my TPMS!!
Any chance you kept the correct part numbers for the kits used and can share?
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #90

Orlando , Florida
I just noticed that ours will not have the side counter extension...

Here is a photo showing the extension

With such limited counter surface area, would be nice to have that extension... the corian top color is generic enough that I might be able to have one done locally... will looks at the parts diagram for the hardware needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	298078   Click image for larger version

Name:	side counter extension-1.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	298080  

WBCCI #26769
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #91
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I just noticed that ours will not have the side counter extension...

Here is a photo showing the extension

With such limited counter surface area, would be nice to have that extension... the corian top color is generic enough that I might be able to have one done locally... will looks at the parts diagram for the hardware needed.
Don't do that. Make the dealer install one. You're already paying for it, you should get it.

When I bought my Interstate, the pedestal for the table was there, but the tabletop and the bracket to hold it when not in use were missing. I had them take the tabletop and bracket out of another Interstate and install them in mine— at no cost to me— so that I could be on my way and they could get a replacement for the van they took them from.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #92

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Don't do that. Make the dealer install one. You're already paying for it, you should get it.

When I bought my Interstate, the pedestal for the table was there, but the tabletop and the bracket to hold it when not in use were missing. I had them take the tabletop and bracket out of another Interstate and install them in mine— at no cost to me— so that I could be on my way and they could get a replacement for the van they took them from.
Issue is not that it is missing. In which case, you are correct. Ask the dealer for the missing trim.

The situation is that the Tommy Bahama Edition does not come with one. Not standard on that trim...

Let me send an email to Airstream to see what they respond with.
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Side extension panel

I too was disappointed that my AI TB did not have one, but I found one made of wood that matches the TB cabinets, at camping world. It came with all the hardware required for a quick and easy install. We have been using it for about six months, and pleased with it.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 AM   #94

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
I too was disappointed that my AI TB did not have one, but I found one made of wood that matches the TB cabinets, at camping world. It came with all the hardware required for a quick and easy install. We have been using it for about six months, and pleased with it.
Got a response from Airstream:

Quote:
The reason we don’t install the counter extension in the Tommy Bahama, is that there is an LED rope light that goes under the galley counter top edge. This prevents us from installing the counter extension.

Steve Hartman
Airstream Sales
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

Hephzibah , Georgia
Description below is for kit when all dual wheels are Alcoa Aluminum.
Call vendor below and speak to Kelly who can select correct kit for your RV
Other Kit PN#s for vehicle applications: DL1SP, DL1SPFR, DL1SP16, DL1SP16CFR, DL1SP13, DL1SP13FR175, DL1SP13FR225, DL1SPAL, DL2SPNA, DL3SPNA

Vendor _ Borg Equipment & Supply Company, PO Box 190 Tujunga, CA 91043
Phone is 800 300-2674 Fax 818 352-8119 ASK FOR KELLY!!!

DL1SPAA Chrome Dually valve Kit Part # DL1SPAA
Replacement 1-piece metal bolt-in valve stems for Class B and C Sprinter motorhomes. Traditionally, adding air to dually tires was difficult which required the use of specially designed air chucks and specially designed air gauges just to get to the valve stem. Not anymore! Duallyvalves are designed to make tire pressure checks and inflation easy on motorhomes. The length of the inner dual valve has been extended to reach the outer dual and the outer stem is curved making it easy to add air.
No more braided or rubber extensions that leak No more rubber base valve stems No more crawling around to locate the inner tire valve stem
Vehicle Application: Sprinter Vehicle Class: C
Vehicle Year(s): Varies Vehicle Wheel Size(s): 16"
Vehicle Wheel Types(s) Inner/Outer Dual Wheels: Aluminum/Alcoa, Wheel PN#250802
Vehicle Outer Dual Wheel Hand-Hole Shape: Rectangle w/ Rounded Edges
Vehicle Outer Dual Wheel Wheel Hand-Hole Size: 3.5" x 1.5"
Kit Contents
(2) Inner Aluminum Dual Wheel 7” Reverse Mount Chrome Valve Stems 9.7mm
(2) Outer Aluminum Dual Wheel 3.5" Triple Bend Reverse Mount Chrome Valve Stems 9.7mm
(2) Oval Stabilizers (Go in the outer Wheel that stabilize the inner dual wheel stem. Does not go in the cover / simulator cover)
(1) Packet of Loctite (To secure Reverse Mount Stems)
Warranty Duallyvalve Parts 3 Years

TPMS Duallyvalve stems DO NOT work with INTERNAL TPMS. Duallyvalves can work with External TPMS that go on the end of the valve stem.
Balancing Having Duallyvalves makes it difficult for the tire shop to balance your inner tires on a standard machine due to the long inner valve stem. Duallyvalve is compatible with internal Balancing Compounds.

Tire Rotation Having Dually valves make it difficult for the tire shop to rotate your tires. Inner stems, Outer stems and Front stems are all different. You can rotate Inner with Inner, Outer with Outer and Front with Front.

Replacement To reduce potential future air leaks; we recommend after 5 years replacing the rubber seals on the valve stems in the Dually Valve Kit. Just give Dually valve a call 800-300-2674 or 818-352-8717 x111 and we would be happy to help you get what you need. NOTE: Some Aluminum wheel valve stems do not have replacement grommets.

Package Weight & Dimensions Height: 12.25" Width: 3.5” Depth: 1.75” Weight: 2 lbs.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #96

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Description below is for kit when all dual wheels are Alcoa Aluminum.
Call vendor below and speak to Kelly who can select correct kit for your RV
O....
Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Hephzibah , Georgia
Added Note: Installing the Rubber Stabilizer blocks was a bear but worth the effort as they hold the long extensions in place in center of wheel opening with no chance of flopping around due to centrifugal force of wheel rotating. Don't give up on this step!!

BTW I also put metal stems on front because of the TPMS sensors....
Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #98

Orlando , Florida
On the counter extension. Got a follow up email from Airstream. They can custom build me one with matching color of the TB counter for me to install... no part number as it is not made for the TB... just a custom order that they will ship with the AI (not installed). Cool!!!

I just got off the phone with my sales guy at Tampa RV, forwarded the email confirmation from Airstream, so that we can have that ordered.
WBCCI #26769
Old 11-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
To MISGM...our dealer installed the metal stem kit I provided to them. I will need to revisit the rubber blocks. It appears there is a really tight fit on the inner flange side. Need to confirm that it does not put stress on the stem. May need to trim the block with pocket knife to allow it to seat fully.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #100

Orlando , Florida
Ordered the Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts and the Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle from Amazon... should be here Monday.

With the extended counter top and the battery trays and straps (pending cables and the additional two batteries), and Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay (already at home) I should have everything for the first modifications I wanted to do before taking any trips. (well, I did ordered that USB Opolar fan everyone here talks so much about... that was an impulse buy)

I want to confirm if the inside wheels are steel or aluminum before ordering the Duallys valves kit... for that I would need a 2018 owner to confirm or wait for mine to arrive (towards the end of the month... it is getting closer!!! ).
WBCCI #26769